How do you get painting on the wall of your Linden home?

AmethystSkye71

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@AmethystSkye71,

We need a little more information about your situation.  Or...maybe not.  Let me try to describe a couple of scenarios, and maybe one of them applies to you.

Using a texture:

Snapshots you take in SL, and textures you upload from your PC or buy in world, are 2 dimensional bitmap images.  You can't put these directly on a wall of a Linden Home.  If you have a house that you can modify, you CAN apply a texture to a wall, but the results will startle you.  Putting a texture on a wall is more like slapping paint or wallpaper on it, not hanging a painting!  (You can tell if something in your inventory is a texture, because it will have an inventory symbol that looks sort of like a checkerboard.)

If what you have is a texture, you need to apply it to a prim to create the "painting".  Then use the Edit window's tools to position the painting on your wall (see below).

Editing an Object:

All the things in your inventory that have the symbol of a small cube are 3D objects.  Some are attachments for our avatars, others are things like furniture, plants, vehicles, houses...and paintings.  If your painting is an object, then...

...left click on it in your inventory.  Hold the left mouse button down while you drag the object from your inventory.  When the mouse cursor is on the floor of your home, release the button.  The object should appear.  (We call this, "rezzing an object from inventory").  Right click it and choose Edit.  You will see a new window, the Edit window, and three colored arrows will appear on the object itself.  You can put your mouse cursor on the head of an arrow, and drag it to move the object.

If the painting needs to be rotated, hold down the CTRL key while you are also holding down the left mouse button.  The colored arrows change to three colored rings.  Like the arrows, you can grab one of these with your mouse and drag it to rotate the object.

You can also adjust the position or rotation of the object with the position and rotation boxes in the Edit window.

Linden Homes have a land impact capacity of 175 (351 for the new, larger Linden Homes).  If you get an error message while trying to rez an object, look in World/Parcel Details/Objects tab.  Make sure that you still have enough unused capacity to rez the object.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, AmethystSkye71 said:

I know how to do it, but it doesn't go all the way on the wall. There's space behind it and when I try to get it to go all the way on the wall it disappears.

Some of the walls (both houses and houseboats) are not at the typical 0-90-270 degrees so you will need to adjust the ROTATION in the build menu. Usually just one degree.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AmethystSkye71 said:

I know how to do it, but it doesn't go all the way on the wall. There's space behind it and when I try to get it to go all the way on the wall it disappears.

Sometimes manipulating objects small amounts is difficult via the arrows.   If that is the problem you are having, first go ahead and use the arrow to move the item as close as you can towards the wall without it disappearing.  Now note the color of the arrow you've been using to move the object.  Look at the Object tab of the Build/Edit window and modify the value of the appropriate Position (based on the color of your arrow) directly in the Edit window.  Change it small amounts at a time, either using the arrows next to the value or by manually keying in a new value -- sometimes the up/down arrows adjust more than you want:

image.png.b4370922fddfb841a82ee5574abf9462.png

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AmethystSkye71 said:

I'm not entirely sure I get the problem. You rez it on the wall; and if it isn't positioned properly yet (and it rarely immediately is, of course), you go Edit the object, and move it into position, easy-peasy. :) 

There's one scenario I can think of where rezzing tends to be problematic; namely, when you're trying to rez on top of an object with a physics shape of 'none'. Then you'll either fail to rez there, or the object will be rezzed on whatever is beneath/behind it, that *does* have physics.  But somehow I feel your issue may be much more basic.

Edited by kiramanell

17 hours ago, AmethystSkye71 said:

And sometimes, when dragging stuff, the editor suddenly 'overshoots' the target, as it were, and can move your painting like a whole meter up or something. I tend to think this is a form of rubberbanding (essentially caused by lag). As @LittleMe Jewell said, adjusting numerically is a good way to go, and usually the best way for precision placement.

1 hour ago, kiramanell said:

And sometimes, when dragging stuff, the editor suddenly 'overshoots' the target, as it were, and can move your painting like a whole meter up or something. I tend to think this is a form of rubberbanding (essentially caused by lag). As @LittleMe Jewell said, adjusting numerically is a good way to go, and usually the best way for precision placement.

Could it be a 'snap to grid' issue? 🤔

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.