To skybox or not to skybox?

CynicismSells

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

27 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I didn't realize you wrote your own rezzer! You clever, clever lady! 👑 Didn't think it possible, but my respect for you has even increased. ❤️

Oh no, I wish I did.  I bought this one off of the marketplace, my level of knowledge for scripting is very limited.  I mostly just hack away at LSL code until it works 🤣  The rezzer I use is this one:
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Multi-Scene-Rezzer-Multi-Scene-Erazer-Pro-V5/16425760

I should have included the link earlier.  

I like it, because I can copy it.  I have two on this parcel, one up in the skybox and one at the ground level.  Each copy is capable of generating 11 scenes, independently of one another, but they use the same channel to erase everything, so I never end up going over my parcel limit (unless I select rez all 🤣)   I also have a parcel on mainland, where I have two set up, one from an alt, another from me, and they don't interfere with one another, so there are no worries about other people erasing what you have rezzed.   

Edit:
As a side note to anyone using this, you want to try to use this in the center of your parcel, because it rezzes items from the location it is at.  If you put it at the side of your yard, it might not rez anything because the rezzed object will be out of the bounds of your property. 

Edited by WillowTenage
11 scenes, not 12.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I thought it would take a lot of time to put in 200 objects in a rezzer, but after learning that I can put in linked objects all in one go, it looks very smart. Almost all my items is linked, only the ones with sitting animations is unlinked.

I don't like empty rooms, but I can live with deleting the contents of the bedroom and bath, to have a BBQ set up in the garden, just an example.

Wish I had bought that BBQ set at half price for group members earlier this week. :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I thought it would take a lot of time to put in 200 objects in a rezzer, but after learning that I can put in linked objects all in one go, it looks very smart. Almost all my items is linked, only the ones with sitting animations is unlinked.

I don't like empty rooms, but I can live with deleting the contents of the bedroom and bath, to have a BBQ set up in the garden, just an example.

Wish I had bought that BBQ set at half price for group members earlier this week. :(

Just be careful, because each time you rez a scene it deletes all of the other scenes.  So if you wanted two scenes available at the same time, I'm not sure if it is capable of doing it, the way I use it I have never needed to do so.    Each scene, as far as I use it, is independent from one another, and rezzing one always deletes the other.. with the exception of rez all, which seems to rez everything you have setup in the rezzer.  

I have since discovered a pre-erase option is listed in the menu, I haven't tried it - but I do believe that will allow more than one scene being rezzed at once.  

Edited by WillowTenage
So many mistakes were made.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, WillowTenage said:

Just be careful, because each time you rez a scene it deletes all of the other scenes.  So if you wanted two scenes available at the same time, I'm not sure if it is capable of doing it, the way I use it I have never needed to do so.    Each scene, as far as I use it, is independent from one another, and rezzing one always deletes the other.. with the exception of rez all, which seems to rez everything you have setup in the rezzer.   

34 minutes ago, WillowTenage said:

Oh no, I wish I did.  I bought this one off of the marketplace, my level of knowledge for scripting is very limited.  I mostly just hack away at LSL code until it works 🤣  The rezzer I use is this one:
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Multi-Scene-Rezzer-Multi-Scene-Erazer-Pro-V5

Edit:
As a side note to anyone using this, you want to try to use this in the center of your parcel, because it rezzes items from the location it is at.  If you put it at the side of your yard, it might not rez anything because the rezzed object will be out of the bounds of your property. 

I can try and see if I can have 2 scenes in a sandbox. I can always delete the sandbox - rezzer before I do the real thing?

It was really good that you warned me about the placement. I was thinking to set it under the mailbox. Phew, accident avoided.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I can try and see if I can have 2 scenes in a sandbox. I can always delete the sandbox - rezzer before I do the real thing?

It was really good that you warned me about the placement. I was thinking to set it under the mailbox. Phew, accident avoided.

It gets pretty complicated, because it saves all of the coordinates of your items.  If you set it up in the sandbox, it will store the placement of all of your items based upon the coordinates in the sandbox.  I can take my skybox rezzer to a sandbox, for example, and it will rez everything, but it seems to place everything in accordance to the coordinates to the parcel rather than the location of the rezzer itself.   So I have to go searching for my rezzed items 🤣 The problem would be, if you wanted to create a scene in the sandbox, then move that rezzer to your parcel, I don't think it would move everything in place correctly.  You would want to setup the scenes in your own parcel.

For experimentation, it would be fine, but I don't think it would work well for moving it to different parcels.  

Edit:

I created a video, to better demonstrate what I am trying to say for you or others considering using a rezzer :)  

I took a copy of my skybox rezzer, and brought it into a sandbox.  When I rezzed the items, they were no longer placed above the rezbox itself, but to the coordinates the items were saved to.  

I had to do an area search to locate where it had been placed to.  This is why I say I don't think it would work for saving your work in a sandbox.  This is more of a precaution to you or others that may want to save all of your work from a sandbox using a rezzer such as this one.   For experimenting around, it is fine, which is what you said you wanted to do :) I just want to make sure you don't lose any work that you put into it. 

Edited by WillowTenage
Tried to clarify my post a little
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, WillowTenage said:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Multi-Scene-Rezzer-Multi-Scene-Erazer-Pro-V5/16425760

I should have included the link earlier.  

I like it, because I can copy it.  I have two on this parcel, one up in the skybox and one at the ground level.  Each copy is capable of generating 11 scenes, independently of one another, but they use the same channel to erase everything, so I never end up going over my parcel limit (unless I select rez all 🤣)   I also have a parcel on mainland, where I have two set up, one from an alt, another from me, and they don't interfere with one another, so there are no worries about other people erasing what you have rezzed. 

Well, that was a very wonderful and instructive video you made, regardless of who made the rezzer. 🤗

My own rezzer, btw, doesn't blindly derez all scenes first (although it does send a derez command to all linksets of the currently-to-be-rezzed scene first, in case some stuff was still standing; or simply to avoid double-rez). Mine is based on landing points, though, and communicates with all other controllers on the field, as to what and how much needs to be derezzed first when I TP in (in case it comes up short on needed LI) -- all automagically, as I'm lazy 😁. For every scene rezzer, you can set it to derez 'farthest' first, or 'closest' first. Skyboxes, for instances, are usually set to 'closest', as I tend to rez those with huge 3D envos, so they need much empty space around them. Stuff on the ground is typically set to 'farthest' (as it's kinda ugly to derez builds near you there, while a perfectly good skybox, out of sight, could be derezzed instead). And all scene controllers can be set individually, as to whether they want to be part of this 'cooperative' system or not (where they can be automagically derezzed).

Another trick I use, which might be handy for others too, is to create (invisible), physical 'collider' objects, that are rezzed with the scene. Should a collider be rezzed at the position where it touches another collider already there, then the script inside the other collider tells its corresponding controller to derez its scene, regardless. This is sometimes needed, like with a huge skybox and 3D envo. Not short on region LI, the controller of the new scene would normally not derez anything else, but sometimes you want the 'old' scene simply gone nonetheless (as it sticks thru the 3D envo of the new one, for instance).

One day soon, hand to God, I will finally finish up writing the documentation for it. 😁; and then I'll give it away for free.

And yes, that was a very good tip you gave about the position of the rezzer. :) Kudos to you, dear one, as always! ❤️

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Well, that was a very wonderful and instructive video you made, regardless of who made the rezzer. 🤗

My own rezzer, btw, doesn't blindly derez all scenes first (although it does send a derez command to all linksets of the currently-to-be-rezzed scene first, in case some stuff was still standing; or simply to avoid double-rez). Mine is based on landing points, though, and communicates with all other controllers on the field, as to what and how much needs to be derezzed first when I TP in (in case it comes up short on needed LI) -- all automagically, as I'm lazy 😁. For every scene rezzer, you can set it to derez 'farthest' first, or 'closest' first. Skyboxes, for instances, are usually set to 'closest', as I tend to rez those with huge 3D envos, so they need much empty space around them. Stuff on the ground is typically set to 'farthest' (as it's kinda ugly to derez builds near you there, while a perfectly good skybox, out of sight, could be derezzed instead). And all scene controllers can be set individually, as to whether they want to be part of this 'cooperative' system or not (where they can be automagically derezzed).

Another trick I use, which might be handy for others too, is to create (invisible), physical 'collider' objects, that are rezzed with the scene. Should a collider be rezzed at the position where it touches another collider already there, then the script inside the other collider tells its corresponding controller to derez its scene, regardless. This is sometimes needed, like with a huge skybox and 3D envo. Not short on region LI, the controller of the new scene would normally not derez anything else, but sometimes you want the 'old' scene simply gone nonetheless (as it sticks thru the 3D envo of the new one, for instance).

One day soon, hand to God, I will finally finish up writing the documentation for it. 😁; and then I'll give it away for free.

And yes, that was a very good tip you gave about the position of the rezzer. :) Kudos to you, dear one, as always! ❤️

Your rezzer sounds amazing 😍  Far more capable of the one I use, the collider would have been really helpful when I clicked the rez all button 🤣 I think I opened the gates to hell when I clicked that button, everything just started jumping out at me 😨  I can only imagine all of the work you have put into that, it is incredible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, WillowTenage said:

Your rezzer sounds amazing 😍  Far more capable of the one I use, the collider would have been really helpful when I clicked the rez all button 🤣 I think I opened the gates to hell when I clicked that button, everything just started jumping out at me 😨  I can only imagine all of the work you have put into that, it is incredible.

Hehe, thank you, dear! ❤️ My rezzer is cool, but, I haste to say, it's really the only thing of value I ever made. :P And as for the work I put in, well, you know how 'proficient' (ahem) I am with Blender, right?! So, let's just say it took me a long time to make. :) A really long time. But, it was all worth it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Mine is based on landing points, though, and communicates with all other controllers on the field, as to what and how much needs to be derezzed first when I TP in (in case it comes up short on needed LI) -- all automagically, as I'm lazy 😁. For every scene rezzer, you can set it to derez 'farthest' first, or 'closest' first. Skyboxes, for instances, are usually set to 'closest', as I tend to rez those with huge 3D envos, so they need much empty space around them. Stuff on the ground is typically set to 'farthest' (as it's kinda ugly to derez builds near you there, while a perfectly good skybox, out of sight, could be derezzed instead). And all scene controllers can be set individually, as to whether they want to be part of this 'cooperative' system or not (where they can be automagically derezzed).

😁Another trick I use, which might be handy for others too, is to create (invisible), physical 'collider' objects, that are rezzed with the scene. Should a collider be rezzed at the position where it touches another collider already there, then the script inside the other collider tells its corresponding controller to derez its scene, regardless.

Holy moly, what terrific features!  The collider thang is genius!  I have a couple of special purpose rezzers that I made from Builder's Buddy, but nothing nearly this ambitious.  I don't care what you say, you are only lazy in the engineering sense of never wanting to do a tedious task twice - your coding is the direct opposite of lazy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You can also include a rezzer inside your rezzable scene. For example you could put a rezzer up in the sky with a choice of sky boxes and included with each sky box a separate rezzer for different furniture set ups. Perhaps for seasonal changes, or to chose between PG and Adult furniture so you can swap around the furnishings for when you have the local vicar around for tiffin or a more amorous engagement. 

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 3

On 7/18/2019 at 5:28 PM, Nika Talaj said:

Holy moly, what terrific features!  The collider thang is genius!  I have a couple of special purpose rezzers that I made from Builder's Buddy, but nothing nearly this ambitious.  I don't care what you say, you are only lazy in the engineering sense of never wanting to do a tedious task twice - your coding is the direct opposite of lazy!

Awww, thank you for these kind words! 🤗 Actually, let me show the thang in action a bit. Please, excuse the crudity of the videos, as I really suck at making vids. :)

1) First you'll see the collider script spring into action (look also for the debug messages) derez the structure already there:

2) Now you'll see what happens when there's not enough LI left to rez a scene. You will notice the rezzer will ask others to derez, but only as much as is needed:

And now I want to show you exactly what @Aethelwine said, about putting rezzers into a rezzer. :) I use it to rez holodeck scenes that way (from a scene which itself also inside a rezzer). And I programmed it so, as you can see, that you cannot enter the holodeck yet until the scene is fully rezzed (it's one of those OCD things 😁😞

Lord, hope I did this video thingy right. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 7/18/2019 at 9:10 AM, WillowTenage said:

P.S. I just bought her rezzer, LOL. :) Not that I need it, but it seems to make ppl happy (more to the point: you), and I like supporting ppl who do good stuff that benefits us all. 👍

• Like 2

That was amazing @kiramanell 😍  The videos were all fantastic, from your chat I was able to see your rezzer in action, and take charge! 😁    It really is a comprehensive rezzer, and it was fun watching how it all worked, thank you for uploading the videos ❤️  You really did an incredibly good job with it, I think you have some amazing talent, not only at decorating, but scripting too 😊  

Edited by WillowTenage
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, WillowTenage said:

That was amazing @kiramanell 😍  The videos were all fantastic, from your chat I was able to see your rezzer in action, and take charge! 😁    It really is a comprehensive rezzer, and it was fun watching how it all worked, thank you for uploading the videos ❤️  You really did an incredibly good job with it, I think you have some amazing talent, not only at decorating, but scripting too 😊  

Awww, you're being your usual kind, wonderful self again. :) (There's never a blush emoji when you need one). Honestly, I really am very happy with what you said here. 🤗 Reports of my 'amazing talent' are highly exaggerated, though; but the rezzer has brought me much joy, that I must admit. I am lazy, in the exact manner that @Nika Talaj said: I set out to never be bothered any more with having to calculate how much LI I have left, what I need to derez, etc. I just want to merrily zip around, TP-ing from pad to pad, and let the rezzer figure out the rest. :) In that sense, I have succeeded.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.