To skybox or not to skybox?

CynicismSells

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's just my opinion, but to me skybox sort of defeats the vibe of getting a home here. Plus they really don't offer more privacy, it just shuts out your view of whatever's at ground level. they also block natural lighting, if you're into shadows and that sort of thing. The single advantage I guess, is you don't get people walking in on you, but I've never found that to be a problem anyway. That's just from my perspective, I'm sure others have opposite opinion.. If a skybox floats your boat, by all means :D

• Like 7

I have one. I go afk, change clothes, etc.. up there. It's also, atm, where my skeeball machine is until I design an add on with a high enough ceiling.

Also have a work plat (old habit, I guess lol) where I will tinker with smaller builds that are within whatever my leftover Li is before I drag myself to a prem sandbox.

• Like 5

The only disadvantage must be fewer LI on the ground?

There are 1 LI skyboxes, I have one myself. So I could have one, just for unpacking. I am extreme in that I want plants and flowers everywhere in the garden, so every LI counts.

Edit: I always use the premium sandboxes for building. With a landmark permanently up on top of the screen (Firestorm), it is just as fast as going up on a platform.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 5

Advantages: can change clothing with a degree of privacy, can have SLexy times with a degree of privacy, can unpack boxes, build or edit small build projects, etc...

Disadvantages: it's "removed" or feels separate/cut off from anything at street-level, eats into prim allowance (whereas a LH or boat does not).

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of right now.

• Like 2

I only use skyboxes or a platform for rezzing objects or if I need unobstructed space to do a photo shoot of something where I don't want any background objects (portraits). 

Also good for changing outfits but I've been around long enough that I don't even care about that anymore - I'm adept enough not to wind up completely naked and if I am well, have at it if that interests you.  I look fabulous. Don't care who looks.

• Like 7

You get 351 LI or prims or whatever to do whatever you want with. You can add a skybox, but you have to use your LI for that. 

I'm using all mine on the ground. Anyone who wants to cam in on my bits is more than welcome to, though I do turn on parcel privacy when I change hair. 

A girl's gotta draw that line somewhere! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

8 minutes ago, CynicismSells said:

So Skyboxes eat into LI?? I could see them being more popular if they were a bit of a work-around, but if not I 100% dont get the popularity.

Skyboxes eat into LI in that you have to provide them yourself; you get the land and the option of house or houseboat and that is it; if you choose to have a skybox you incur the cost in terms of expense and LI. LL don't provide you with a skybox, no.

• Like 3

There are a ton of skyboxes in Belli, for some reason a lot of them are at 2000.   Now that you mention them, looky looky at all the premium sandboxes!  https://secondlife.com/destinations/premium/sandboxes/1

I've never been to a premium sandbox, but I'm curious, so will stop by one sometime.  Of course, the benefit to having your own build box is persistence - you can leave your project in place forever, until you have time to get back to it.  I assume that premium sandboxes clear things out daily or even more often, like others.

Wrt using a skybox as a changing room, let me mention my pet enhancement request:

I would like an LSL command to allow changing the privacy setting on parcels.  My partner and I always set group ownership, and we have different preferences with respect to the privacy setting.  I really would like to be able to create a button that allows group members to change the privacy setting at will, instead of always having to have the land owner do it.  Nika owns a Belli parcel.  But her alt Litta gets nearly all of my inworld time, and I'd like Litta to be able to set privacy on Nika's Belli parcel whenever needed.  I can't find a Jira request for this feature.

I'll update this if I get inspired and file that request.  Haven't used Jira in years, it will require both coffee and oatmeal to tackle that.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Isn't there already a way to do that? I'm not inworld so can't look at the group permissions right now but I thought there was an option to allow group members, my role, to change parcel settings.

I agree, it should work, but it doesn't seem to.  The land, of course, is not deeded, but that should not be necessary. If I look at myself in the group Member & Roles tab, I have the  "Parcel Settings/Toggle various About Land > Options settings" ability.  In fact, everyone in the group has that ability in the group the land is set to, but still only the owner can change Land Options in Bellisseria. 

HOWEVER, this ability works fine on most non-mainland estates, but not on others.  I'm thinking that there is some setting at the estate level that overrides parcel abilities, but I'm an estate manager elsewhere, and I don't see it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CynicismSells said:

That is the question...

Advantages and disadvantages of a belli skybox?

I don't have a skybox in Belli, but I do have a sky platform I use to change clothes and open boxes. On Mainland, I have a small parcel where most of my prims are in skyboxes to help preserve the look of the landscape, and because I've been told that building higher helps reduce lag.

Sidenote: I was putting up another skybox on my Mainland bit yesterday and I was having a hard time finding an altitude where I couldn't see one of the neighbors' skyboxes. Had to move it three times. :)

• Like 2

I have several skyboxes, all set to a rezzer.  All of the furniture in my ground home is also set to the rezzer, so when I am using the skybox all of my yard items, home addons, and furniture vanishes.  When I want to have my home on the ground, all of the skyboxes vanish.  

It is the best of both worlds 😁

Edit:
I created a little video demonstrating the rezzer, and how I use it.  

At around the 2 minute mark, I made the mistake of pushing "rez all" which tried to rez everything! 🤣 I have a bad tendency of pushing buttons that are not meant to be pushed.

With a rezzer, you could also decorate each of the homes available to you on your parcel, and furnish it all at just a click of a button.  The downside, is with the rezzer (at least the one I use) everything that you want rezzed has to be copy/mod.  

Edited by WillowTenage
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I have no skybox because I already have a houseboat. But I do have a build platform where I do my scripting in relative solitude, where I unpack most of my acquisitions, and do some light building.

If I were to do that in my houseboat, my houseboat would soon look like my RL home, like a huge mess! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I have a build platform, primarily to rez large linksets that I think might be oriented funny and need rotation.  This was more important on my 16x64 Houseboat parcel than on the 32x32 parcels.  

It also gives me a place to play with arrangement of furniture/objects without the walls interfering with my camming around.

5 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

I agree, it should work, but it doesn't seem to.  The land, of course, is not deeded, but that should not be necessary. If I look at myself in the group Member & Roles tab, I have the  "Parcel Settings/Toggle various About Land > Options settings" ability.  In fact, everyone in the group has that ability in the group the land is set to, but still only the owner can change Land Options in Bellisseria. 

HOWEVER, this ability works fine on most non-mainland estates, but not on others.  I'm thinking that there is some setting at the estate level that overrides parcel abilities, but I'm an estate manager elsewhere, and I don't see it.

The difference does indeed appear to be that the land is "set" to group rather than "deeded". 

Lil is an Officer in the land group that my alt's Belli parcel is "set" to and the same group has my regular Mainland parcel "deeded" to it.  Lil can change that privacy setting on my regular Mainland, but not on the Belli parcel.  I actually cannot change anything on any of the About Land tabs for the Belli property, but I can change everything for the deeded Mainland.  The actual Group Owner (someone different than me or the Belli parcel owner) cannot change any of the Belli settings either.  The only person that can change any of those About Land settings for the Belli parcel is the true owner of the parcel.

So apparently, despite the role abilities, those parcels settings can only be changed by group members that are not the actual land owner when the land is 'deeded' to the group.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I use one for privacy, less texture lag and because it is just a good use of the limited space.

With 350 prims to play with 20 or 30 spent on a sky box is nothing. I only really feel the need to be using about 50 at ground level on my houseboat anyway. I have a nice DDD kitchen, 3 seating areas, some house plants, some tulips a desk, a bookcase and a portal and teleporter, danceball and even with a deck extension, there really isn't space at ground level for much more.

That leaves about 220 spare which is nice but excessive for a boat.

Edited by Aethelwine

11 hours ago, WillowTenage said:

I have several skyboxes, all set to a rezzer.  All of the furniture in my ground home is also set to the rezzer, so when I am using the skybox all of my yard items, home addons, and furniture vanishes.  When I want to have my home on the ground, all of the skyboxes vanish.  

Edit:

At around the 2 minute mark, I made the mistake of pushing "rez all" which tried to rez everything! 🤣 I have a bad tendency of pushing buttons that are not meant to be pushed.

With a rezzer, you could also decorate each of the homes available to you on your parcel, and furnish it all at just a click of a button.  The downside, is with the rezzer (at least the one I use) everything that you want rezzed has to be copy/mod.  

This was fantastic, you clever, clever lady!! :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, WillowTenage said:

Edit:

I didn't realize you wrote your own rezzer! You clever, clever lady! 👑 Didn't think it possible, but my respect for you has even increased. ❤️

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.