What happens if Linden lab closes/shuts down

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Also to make sure people are aware,  it's been said by oz linden that pricing for the near to far future will not be changing,  aws costs more than their physical data center did at this time.

How?

I am using same homestead for 6 years, initial rental price 5.800L / week

Price raised 6.400 / week in 4 year, later raised 7.380L / week in 2 year.

L$ sale price went US$1 for every L$250 to US$1 every L$240.

L$ gaining value rental prices increasing price tag, It does not make any sense to me.

Perhaps I am wrong and my estate company bad :)

Edited by RunawayBunny
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

But it's people who sit in their plots of land chatting with friends in IM and surfing the marketplace who are LL's target market for SL! Except it would be great if they would tp to a club every now and then too.

“Become a creator” “Have an Adventure” “Earn Money”

Doesn’t seem like mottos targeting people who don’t move lol. Seems more like content creators are their target. 

Edited by Finite

4 hours ago, Finite said:

“Become a creator” “Have an Adventure” “Earn Money”

Doesn’t seem like mottos targeting people who don’t move lol. Seems more like content creators are their target. 

That's just false advertising or possibly a remnant from the past. If content creators had been their priority, they would have done something about the beta grid right away, either fixed it or come up with a temporary solution. They would have sorted out the Marketplace too and Ebbe would never have made his snide comment about content creators having it "way too easy".

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

That's just false advertising or possibly a remnant from the past. If content creators had been their priority, they would have done something about the beta grid right away, either fixed it or come up with a temporary solution. They would have sorted out the Marketplace too and Ebbe would never have made his snide comment about content creators having it "way too easy".

He should remember those words when he analyses the near college degree you need these days to start creating decent things in SL 😅

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I don't know in what specific context Ebbe made his remark but in some ways I agree with him regarding creators having a protected marketplace where LL does not bring in creation tools or products that will compete with existing creators. Some examples being "puppeteering" competing with animators, mobile viewers competing with the former Lumiya and now SpeedLight. BoM taking a long time to be adopted because of the applier market. Holding on to the horrendous system avatars to promote buying a better creator mesh avatar. Lack of inworld mesh building and enhanced texturing tools to make it easier for regular residents to create their own inworld vs being cheaper off to look for a suboptimal ready made product on the MP because the steep price and learning curve for the professional texturing and 3d tools makes it prohibitive. To me the sort of features the Lab seems to focus on are those where commercial creators will have an opportunity to create a market niche rather than features that will make it easier for all.

8 hours ago, RunawayBunny said:

How?

L$ gaining value rental prices increasing price tag, It does not make any sense to me.

How?  well LL just got rid of 10 to 12 year old server hardware,  which had paid for it's self,  AWS is a constant, it's pricing is higher than their physical data center was,  and this is just one aws location they are in, if they start pushing to others their costs are going to go up more too and I feel they will have to adjust our pricing, also I have no idea about the estate you live on they set their pricing, guessing they are making some money?

19 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

The sky has been falling since I joined in 2007.
That has been 14 years now.
SL is still around.

Tin foiled hats anyone?

Yah but keep in mind that with Oz retired, one of the big supports for that virtual sky is gone and some clouds are low enough that things are a little foggy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Yah but keep in mind that with Oz retired, one of the big supports for that virtual sky is gone and some clouds are low enough that things are a little foggy.

What clouds, Arielle?  

As far as clouds, I'd think it's because of COVID and it's impact on the economy.   That's where the whole world of business is cloudy and foggy - COVID.  Although some internet "things" may do better with COVID.  It still could be a roller coaster for awhile, and the roller coaster may be farther out and not quite even here yet re:COVID.  

8 hours ago, RunawayBunny said:

How?

I rent a lot of places and often go back to the same place to rent a store again and all the rentals are flat (same price), no change nor increase in three years.

I'd check out other rentals.  I know of one rental company in which prices stay flat, I will send you an IM and you can look.  She is a very cool, great landlord, but no guarantee she has any openings for your particular size.  But, it's always worth a look.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I feel they will have to adjust our pricing, also I have no idea about the estate you live on they set their pricing, guessing they are making some money?

I am sure they are making money very old organization but I think I am not allowed share their name.. because I am complaining about them :) I know 3 estate company (or perhaps I shall call them organization) they have similar prices, perhaps I will look for alternatives.

9 hours ago, Finite said:

“Become a creator”

Camp in your skybox while you work in blender / photoshop.

“Have an Adventure”

In instant message with customers, fans and passing pervs.

“Earn Money”

Selling your efforts on a tangentially connected website.

Sounds like SL to me. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Well...I kept my rental prices flat. When LL increased the land impact allowances, I lowered my prices. My little rental operation at Masocado on the Mainland did all right for a few years, but then

1. The neighbors decided to put up some really ugly builds
  2. LL introduced the new Linden Homes and a lot of potential renters left to play the Game of Homes
  3. Other renters left to trade up to a bigger place on an estate
  4. LL devalued the $L

Even though it's in an ideal Mainland location, all of that made Masocado a money sink instead of a break-even operation. Combined with the uncertainties involved with the ownership change, I decided to sell. I wonder how many other people are finding themselves in a similar situation.

8 hours ago, ChinRey said:

If LL were really to turn serious about feting content creators in a way they have only partly done in the last 20 years, they would have to license them and make them clear their own serious quality control sieves. Then there will be far fewer content creators to see how marvelously they are now centered on content creators and what amazing tools and programs they have. Only a tiny percentage will get through the door, and they themselves will constitute the force that keeps others out in order to maintain their position and power. 

The "Your World, Your Imagination" has long since retired, and while "Creator" is still the top "story," the "Hollywood Squares" position "Creator" on the left, where most humans do not look. Most humans look right first, as they are left-brain, not right-brain dominated (as many creators are). That's why war stories are always placed in the upper right hand corner in every newspaper layout.

Fortunately, unlike most of us, the Lindens are practical people actually running a business from day to day and worried about revenue and payroll, and know that while they would like to privilege the class of creators only, they would not have any other customers, as they do for "entertainment" in the right-looker's spot and everything else from business to education.

screenshot-secondlife.com-2021.03.22-15_35_37.png

On 3/22/2021 at 6:41 AM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

well LL just got rid of 10 to 12 year old server hardware,  which had paid for it's self,  AWS is a constant, it's pricing is higher than their physical data center was

I would think they chose to go to AWS to save money straight away or because they anticipate growth.

Why do you think they did it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Evah Baxton said:

I would think they chose to go to AWS to save money straight away or because they anticipate growth.

Cost scaling and the balance sheet.

It's easy to provision more servers from AWS. It's just as easy to provision less. 

A datacenter, rucks of servers, maintenance, staff to baby it all, power costs, depreciation all over the place .. AWS replaces all that mess and liability with a bill that scales with need.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

A datacenter, rucks of servers, maintenance, staff to baby it all, power costs, depreciation all over the place .. AWS replaces all that mess and liability with a bill that scales with need.

It really does feel like most outsourcing is based on liability more than anything else. It's become like a commodity for companies willing to take it on.

Did LL employ datacenter people directly?

Edited by Evah Baxton

3 hours ago, Evah Baxton said:

It really does feel like most outsourcing is based on liability more than anything else. It's become like a commodity for companies willing to take it on.

Did LL employ datacenter people directly?

that is what they call hands on,  most data centers have people that can go in the cages and do restarts and put discs in and put equipment in racks, but LL also sent their own people to their cage to do the work too.   so a mixture.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Evah Baxton said:

aws is not cost prohibitive,   they save on bandwidth and power and floor space rental pricing, this way, but ec2 instances with database nodes they need and other functions,  right now from what I can see from the aws calulator and information LL did release publically some years ago about hardware,  6k+ usd is what figured out and that's for only 100 vcpus with 786gb ram.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.