What happens if Linden lab closes/shuts down

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1127 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why do you think you would be entitled to any money back?  You might be asking that in earnest- so I'll phrase it this way-

You went to the movie theater.  You purchased a ticket to entertainment.

You experienced that entertainment.

The theater closed down the next day.

You think you deserve your money back? No.  You are choosing to pay monies to enhance your SL experience.  

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, Rickyfatton said:

If they shut down the servers, Would I be able to get all the money i've spend on Second life? or even a partial Refund.

I think you would get nothing back. At all.

Every single cent you've exchanged into L$ would be just as gone as the regions in SL if LL shut down the servers, and every single item you've bought, as well.

And I even doubt that you would be entitled to a refund for any USD balance on your account before the shutdown.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

What would you do, if Linden Lab gave you L$ 1,000,000?

Save Hangars Liquides of course, eventhough hypothetically  LL only just preserves it.

Edited by TDD123
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, ThorinII said:

I think you would get nothing back. At all.

Every single cent you've exchanged into L$ would be just as gone as the regions in SL if LL shut down the servers, and every single item you've bought, as well.

And I even doubt that you would be entitled to a refund for any USD balance on your account before the shutdown.

this is an interesting question

is possible that if in the one day closure of SL, Tilia may not be shut down

if so then we do lose any L$ in our SL account, but any USD in our Tilia account could be used in another world, Sansar for example

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Mollymews said:

this is an interesting question

is possible that if in the one day closure of SL, Tilia may not be shut down

if so then we do lose any L$ in our SL account, but any USD in our Tilia account could be used in another world, Sansar for example

If LL shuts down, so does Sansar. Even if it didn't, using your USD to get Sansar dollars (Sansollars?) is pretty much the same as having it disappear when SL goes away.

• Like 1

Just now, Parhelion Palou said:

If LL shuts down, so does Sansar. Even if it didn't, using your USD to get Sansar dollars (Sansollars?) is pretty much the same as having it disappear when SL goes away.

When SL goes away but Sansar is still there all* would just try to cash out ...

eduacated guess of 99%, that is 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rickyfatton said:

If they shut down the servers, Would I be able to get all the money i've spend on Second life? or even a partial Refund.

You really don't understand. That is ok, not everyone will.

You got what you paid for every time you've spent money on SL, so no refunds. If you paid a weekly rental, you got that week. You buy items for your time in SL, you got to use them while in SL. Once both sides of each transaction is completed, they are final. Paid LL for a month of premium? Got that month? Transaction completed.

The best you can ask for is LL will refund anything paid for but not used after the point of closure and any unused balances on your account in terms of $USD. All other payments you made were for things you received in full, so no refunds are warranted. That would be like saying if Pepsi Company shut down, they owed you money for all of their products you purchased. You got the drinks, so no, they wouldn't.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

this would most likely be true in the near day regarding Sansar and LL's current dependency on SL revenues.  Is just that Tilia is a company in it's own right and in the far day then Tilia may be in position to be the banker / tokens exchange for all kinds of other worlds also, not only Sansar were it to survive/flourish, but maybe also non-LL built worlds and spaces

But, Molly...Tilia is a Linden Lab company too.  If LL shuts down, so does Tilia.

But, even if LL itself doesn't shut down, and they simply decide to close down Second Life, we don't get anything back.  According to the ToS, LL can shut down Second Life tomorrow, and none of us are entitled to anything.  And we agreed to it.

Sometimes I wonder about myself.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

But, Molly...Tilia is a Linden Lab company too.  If LL shuts down, so does Tilia.

yes that is true if Linden Lab company shut down and never spun Tilia out before it did

my observation is that were Linden Lab to shut down Second Life in some far day, then it doesn't necessarily follow that Tilia would shut down also

it might, but also might not.  Tilia may continue as a banker/exchange service company in its own right. And if so then it would be doubtful that Linden Lab would claim the USD from the Tilia account holders in this case

You won't get anything back. And the fact that you have an account at all proves that you said "yes" to the TOS that tells you that you won't.

IF the reason for Second Life closing is because they made something better (not Sansar, 😅), they might, if they were feeling generous, allow you to transfer any existing US$ or L$ balance on your account over to the new thing. But they don't have to. In this scenario, Tilia would likely continue trading.

What's more likely is that Linden Lab would close down due to debt, in which case any US$ balance held by user accounts would go towards paying off their debts, or be simply written off. In this scenario, Tilia goes down too.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2019 at 8:20 AM, Rickyfatton said:

No because , Linden Lab provides a service .

There is an exact définition of "service" in the real commercial législation

On 7/17/2019 at 4:20 PM, Rickyfatton said:

An innocent question, but I equate it to renting a house and then asking for the rent you've paid back when you move out. Not going to happen, as much as you wish it would.

As for what I'd do if LL closed down or shut its doors, I guess I'd have to stray back to one of those "adult games" and try and make friends there... Or go back to The Sims 4. Probably both.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, onix Velde said:

SL is slowly dying every year and you all know that like it or not,and SANSAR is the biggest fail after SL.Relax you will have more time to enjoy outdoors.

Hey buddy, based on your post history it sounds like you of all people need to go enjoy The Great Outdoors. Whatever happened to you in the past year has had a clear effect on you. (Besides, Sansar is a bigger fail than SL, let's not kid ourselves.)

On 7/18/2019 at 3:01 PM, RaeLeeH said:

As for what I'd do if LL closed down or shut its doors, I guess I'd have to stray back to one of those "adult games" and try and make friends there... Or go back to The Sims 4. Probably both.

Just go all the way and turn your Sims into an adult game!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 7/17/2019 at 2:20 AM, Rickyfatton said:

I mean I think its pretty common knowledge that you invest if you invest real life money on any sort of virtual platform, whether it be Second Life, IMVU, Small worlds etc, you do that with the common sense knowledge knowing that the next day it could very well be shut down for whatever reason. Look at the many kids who invested their parents money into CLub Penguin, and guess what, its not around anymore and NOONE got refunded, its part of the territory 

On 7/18/2019 at 10:17 AM, Mollymews said:

yes that is true if Linden Lab company shut down and never spun Tilia out before it did

my observation is that were Linden Lab to shut down Second Life in some far day, then it doesn't necessarily follow that Tilia would shut down also

it might, but also might not.  Tilia may continue as a banker/exchange service company in its own right. And if so then it would be doubtful that Linden Lab would claim the USD from the Tilia account holders in this case

Never that simple. If Linden Lab shuts down Second Life as its main cash cow, the company as it stands now would be in trouble.

If Linden Lab were to shut down, as a subsidiary, Tilia may also close due to the ties it has with its parent company Linden Lab. Whilst yes Tilia is a subsidiary and a separate company theoretically, it would also depend on how involved the parent company was involved with the subsidiary, I.E. if they were considered as acting as a Shadow Director or had the same board etc.

If Linden Lab were to shut down, it would probably be for financial reasons, like they'd run out of money, so there wouldn't be any for them to give back to you anyway!

But they're not short of money as far as I know, and so there's not much likelihood of them closing down.

On 7/18/2019 at 2:01 PM, RaeLeeH said:

An innocent question, but I equate it to renting a house and then asking for the rent you've paid back when you move out. Not going to happen, as much as you wish it would.

The thought of you no longer being here, I dunno, I don't like it. :) Naturally, if SL were closing, I wouldn't be here any more either, LOL.

Seriously, I don't know what I would do if SL closed down. I'd be devastated, really. I hope they'll make it so you'll be able to port your stuffz to Sansar (as that world, in and by itself, is a joke: a bottommless sink, as they say in the gaming industry, where LL keeps pouring in endless amounts of cash, siphoned off of SL; but I digress 😍). 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1127 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.