MsKayess

Adult content, or not adult?

1 hour ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Personally I have more question marks about adult people pretending to be minors on a platform where actual underaged people are forbidden, and be butt hurt about encountering something like this. But to each their own, live and let live.

Ima say it again for the people in the back.. SL is 16+. There are real underage people in SL and LL has allowed it. Stop saying SL is for adults only. That is false. 

wrong.gif

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Ima say it again for the people in the back.. SL is 16+. There are real underage people in SL and LL has allowed it. Stop saying SL is for adults only. That is false. 

Ditto this. Forget we not that rules are there to be broken because based on the phrasing and immature logic of some posters even to these forums and certainly some found in-world, I'll wager that even preteens sneak through the paper gates. Calling a place "made and allowed for adults only" and believing that is always the case of foolishness and a kin to an Ostrich hiding its head in the sand. There are G-rated spaces for many reasons, this, I'm sure, is one of them.

Edited by Alyona Su

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

ma say it again for the people in the back.. SL is 16+. There are real underage people in SL and LL has allowed it

16 year olds are allowed way above G rating content all over the world (including the US). G rating means its safe from children, below 13

In the USA there are states that allow for marriage from a minimum age ranging from 14 to 17.

You can legally buy rifles and ammunition from an age of 16 over there

And here we are being all worried that 16 year olds need protection from a little message saying "used condom"?

If you have 16 year old kids that are not able to cope with that message they should not be allowed by their parents to be in SL. It's not a place with a very high reputation if it comes to adult content. Though I doubt, delicate 16 year olds like that should not be on the internet in general without supervision...

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

16 year olds are allowed way above G rating content all over the world (including the US). G rating means its safe from children, below 13

In the USA there are states that allow for marriage from a minimum age ranging from 14 to 17.

And here we are being all worried that 16 year olds need protection from a little message saying "used condom"?

If you have 16 year old kids that are not able to cope with that message they should not be allowed by their parents to be in SL. It's not a place with a very high reputation if it comes to adult content. Though I doubt, delicate 16 year olds like that should not be on the internet in general without supervision...

Just to clarify a couple things in your comment: Legal age of marriage across the United States in 18; to become married at a younger age requires approval of the courts with a Legal Parental Consent or Legal Emancipation. As for purchasing a rifle: each state has different laws, but at Federal level, the age is still 18 to purchase, though it is legal for a 16 year-old to possess. Some states (Washington, for example) are attempting to raise that age to 21 (Which brings Constitutional questions to bear, so we'll see how it goes.)

As for this thread: Snowflakes always will be snowflakes and there is no Constitutional right (in the United States, at least) to be "Not offended". As for underage (by TOS standards) - we all know there are many who sneak into the grid and even though there is no way for Linden Lab to prevent that (and thereby should be immune from litigation regarding it) they must still make a fair attempt at enforcement, within reason. I believe this is among the reasons there even are G-rated zones (Teen grid allowed 13 and older to sign-up - it was changed to 16 when they merged the grids.)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Semantics.. 

In the US the legal definition of adult is someone over the age of 18. Anyone under 18, by US law (which we all agreed to follow, remember?) is legally a child. That is why they are restricted to G sims. There are RULES set forth by LL. 

You said 

4 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Personally I have more question marks about adult people pretending to be minors on a platform where actual underaged people are forbidden, and be butt hurt about encountering something like this. But to each their own, live and let live.

Which is what everyone responded to.. Nothing was said about used condoms. Nitpicking as to what RL teens can and cant do in the real world has ZERO bearing on what they can and cant do IN SECOND LIFE. LL made rules, either follow them or leave. 

I doesn't matter one drop what you think teens should be able to handle. I let my 16 year old on SL knowing she couldn't get to anything but G sims. I also showed her how to AR someone if they start sexual conversations with her as it says in her profile that she is 16 in RL. And before you start in on me for "letting a child into sex filled SL" I am right beside her when she is online, reading every IM. 

As to your other rantings.. 

In the US you must have parents permission to purchase a firearm if under the age of 18. A licensed gun dealer can not sell a handgun or ammunition to anyone they think or presents ID that shows they are under the age of 21. That is FEDERAL law. 

In the US you must have parents permission to marry if under the age of 18. 

So to all of your so called facts... 

wrong.gif.1897398b8b978dcc54e9ca9c9c5e9cf3.gif

It does nothing for the credibility of your perfectly accurate facts if you include a picture of Trump.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

It does nothing for the credibility of your perfectly accurate facts if you include a picture of Trump.

Trust me, i am far from a Trumpanzee.. I just like tossing that out when people spout off "facts" that are 100% wrong. I do it to my die hard Trumpite MIL... She hates it.. 

1 hour ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Maybe..is alternative facts?

3 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Semantics.. 

In the US the legal definition of adult is someone over the age of 18. Anyone under 18, by US law (which we all agreed to follow, remember?) is legally a child. That is why they are restricted to G sims. There are RULES set forth by LL. 

Yes of course its semantics. My whole point is that when its acceptable (even with parental permission only) to consider someone old enough to marry, carry a gun, or see violent and adult things in movies at the age of 16, it is pure bollocks that when a 16 year old encounters a message about fishing up a used condom in a online virtual world to be all panic and "OMG have to report".

But if you want to put it in a pure legal factual way, where is it by law stated that a condom has a legal age restriction? I cant find it anywhere that states you have to be 18 to have access too, or buy a condom? The only law that would be broken in this situation if it was real life would probably be littering for throwing away a used condom in the water.

3 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I doesn't matter one drop what you think teens should be able to handle. I let my 16 year old on SL knowing she couldn't get to anything but G sims. I also showed her how to AR someone if they start sexual conversations with her as it says in her profile that she is 16 in RL. And before you start in on me for "letting a child into sex filled SL" I am right beside her when she is online, reading every IM.

This is great, and I applaud you for being protective of her in such a way. I do however not see how someone sending sexual IM's to a 16 year old falls in the same category as a message by a system like mentioned here about how you fished up a used condom. A 16 year old girl should be able to handle that kind of fairly innocent message in this context. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Yes of course its semantics. My whole point is that when its acceptable (even with parental permission only) to consider someone old enough to marry, carry a gun, or see violent and adult things in movies at the age of 16, it is pure bollocks that when a 16 year old encounters a message about fishing up a used condom in a online virtual world to be all panic and "OMG have to report".

But if you want to put it in a pure legal factual way, where is it by law stated that a condom has a legal age restriction? I cant find it anywhere that states you have to be 18 to have access too, or buy a condom? The only law that would be broken in this situation if it was real life would probably be littering for throwing away a used condom in the water.

This is great, and I applaud you for being protective of her in such a way. I do however not see how someone sending sexual IM's to a 16 year old falls in the same category as a message by a system like mentioned here about how you fished up a used condom. A 16 year old girl should be able to handle that kind of fairly innocent message in this context. 

Nevermind the legal definition of whether or not a condom is considered adult, LL has deemed any sexual items are adult. END OF DISCUSSION.

19 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

END OF DISCUSSION

Well at least we can agree on this much. Have a lovely day :)

On 7/25/2019 at 12:33 AM, MsKayess said:

I believe a lot of the confusion arises from the fact that so many only come to second life for the sex. They then are only ever around sex and become desensitized to how certain items might make others feel (and even make fun of or demean them for feeling that way), and it also means they might not see any other reason for a region to be adult other than sex.

This quote became very relevant, because the messages from the game stations changed (within the last few days) to mock people who'd raised concerns. The wording would suggest it was aimed at certain people in this thread (a "think of the children" message when items were fished on general land), but in a way where it'd likely seem like a harmless joke to anyone who wasn't aware of what had been said. A neat package, because it can both mock, and not look like it's mocking to anyone who doesn't know why the message appeared. Whether someone agrees with the concerns or not, it's mean-spirited to use the game to make fun of people for not wanting sexual content.

Which means I'm done with the company involved. I left the group and this has become my last hunt with them, unless something changes drastically. I wasn't a fan of the dismissive way it was handled initially, but gave some benefit of the doubt that it can be difficult for people involved in the sexual side of Second Life to understand that it isn't a positive thing for everyone. I tried to make the best of the event and had planned to write up some feedback at the end (which would have included the positives and negatives, as the event did have some good ideas as well). That benefit of the doubt is gone, so my only feedback is going to be this post. After that, I'm done with the whole thing.

Trying to make this about young children using Second Life was always a tangent to discredit any concerns. There are a lot of reasons why an adult might not like sexual content. It's not a lot to ask that content is labelled and that the rules of general areas are respected, which is all that most people who raised concerns were really asking for. It's even less to ask that people who do want to avoid such content shouldn't be mocked for it through the official game messages.

(On a general correction note, the screenshot posted early in the thread was the broken first version of the game HUD, where the item was the wrong way around. This was quickly fixed so that the item appeared on the screen. It wouldn't change my views even if it was text with no visuals, but it's not correct to say there aren't visuals. Not the fault of the person who posted it, as that was before the fix.)

2 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

When I was a kid IRL, condoms made the best balloons >_>

But terrible chewing gum. .<_<

• Haha 1

On 8/26/2019 at 9:14 PM, Polenth Yue said:

This quote became very relevant, because the messages from the game stations changed (within the last few days) to mock people who'd raised concerns. The wording would suggest it was aimed at certain people in this thread (a "think of the children" message when items were fished on general land), but in a way where it'd likely seem like a harmless joke to anyone who wasn't aware of what had been said. A neat package, because it can both mock, and not look like it's mocking to anyone who doesn't know why the message appeared. Whether someone agrees with the concerns or not, it's mean-spirited to use the game to make fun of people for not wanting sexual content.

Which means I'm done with the company involved. I left the group and this has become my last hunt with them, unless something changes drastically. I wasn't a fan of the dismissive way it was handled initially, but gave some benefit of the doubt that it can be difficult for people involved in the sexual side of Second Life to understand that it isn't a positive thing for everyone. I tried to make the best of the event and had planned to write up some feedback at the end (which would have included the positives and negatives, as the event did have some good ideas as well). That benefit of the doubt is gone, so my only feedback is going to be this post. After that, I'm done with the whole thing.

Trying to make this about young children using Second Life was always a tangent to discredit any concerns. There are a lot of reasons why an adult might not like sexual content. It's not a lot to ask that content is labelled and that the rules of general areas are respected, which is all that most people who raised concerns were really asking for. It's even less to ask that people who do want to avoid such content shouldn't be mocked for it through the official game messages.

(On a general correction note, the screenshot posted early in the thread was the broken first version of the game HUD, where the item was the wrong way around. This was quickly fixed so that the item appeared on the screen. It wouldn't change my views even if it was text with no visuals, but it's not correct to say there aren't visuals. Not the fault of the person who posted it, as that was before the fix.)

After investigating this complaint The Dark Unicorns of Lovelace will no longer host hunt items for this company on any of our group land. We cannot support the use of hunt items to launch 'dog whistle' style attacks on fellow Second Life residents as this is an abuse of the trust we held in the company that runs these games. This is why you will no longer see the participation of the Aquila III region in future hunts organised by this company.

The way I see it I will not be moving on from this anytime soon, unless there is an official public apology for the 'dog whistle' attack, but I doubt this will happen.

A member of my community was deeply upset by the actions of MadPea in using their game systems to launch this attack and I will stand by my friends even though it means walking away from an aspect of Second Life that I really enjoy.

• Haha 1

On 9/23/2019 at 3:02 AM, Avariel Falcon said:

The way I see it I will not be moving on from this anytime soon, unless there is an official public apology for the 'dog whistle' attack, but I doubt this will happen.

A member of my community was deeply upset by the actions of MadPea in using their game systems to launch this attack and I will stand by my friends even though it means walking away from an aspect of Second Life that I really enjoy.

On which page was the dog whistle attack? Keeping in mind, I thought this thread was initially because someone was upset that a “used condom” was a prize in a fishing game?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

On which page was the dog whistle attack? ...

I understood this to refer not to anything in this thread, but rather to this:

On 8/26/2019 at 4:14 PM, Polenth Yue said:

... the messages from the game stations changed (within the last few days) to mock people who'd raised concerns. ...

I don't know anything about those messages, and had lost track of the whole thing (having kinda lost interest in these games long ago), so I have no idea whether this dog whistle will hunt.

• Like 1