Jump to content
MsKayess

Adult content, or not adult?

Recommended Posts

Now that I have your attention, a certain well known business in SL has recently launched another gridwide event. As part of this, people are able to buy things to place on their land and attract hunters and get a lot of traffic (at a rather high premium). To this point, they haven't limited who could or couldn't place things on their land, which meant as a hunter, you were free to avoid the parts of second life that may have been out of your comfort zone. The items that were able to be hunted ranged from easter eggs, shells, monsters, enchanted toys, wild animal families; all rather neutral items keeping it very friendly for all to join in on either end. This go round though, they've made it so that the hunt "items" are random item generators, and can (and do frequently) give out "booby prizes."

We're now reaching the heart of the matter, with anyone able to join as a location for the hunt, that means all regions are able to participate, General, Moderate, and Adult. Among the random "booby prizes" is a used condom that to me and several others who I've questioned classifies as adult content, which would be a breach of the land rating for anyone that places one of these "dispensers." It also can, and already has caused a number of child avatars who would routinely participate not to do so this round on the grounds that it comes a little too close to the conditions laid out in the community standards. The company's stance is that it is not adult content, but as I stated, myself and several others disagree. So now I open it to you the masses, adult content, or not adult?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not sure if advertisement or word salad... ahh It's a complaint, takes awhile to understand but sounds legit. Err... AR and move on - condoms should not be given out in general areas ... 

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know which game this is and have played it. I tried to put myself in her shoes and can totally understand why @MsKayess is upset. The very thought of a child pulling garbage like this out of a body or water on a (G) rated region is at minimum poor judgement on the part of the game's creators. While she could avoid places in the past that were outside her comfort zone, the way this game works makes the possibility of catching one of these things unavoidable. Second Life already gets a bad rep for adult content and as we continue push these boundaries that could only get worse.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MichaMoz said:

The very thought of a child pulling garbage like this out of a body or water on a (G) rated region is at minimum poor judgement on the part of the game's creators.

don't forget the underage users

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

. AR and move on - condoms should not be given out in general areas ... 

I agree with this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Not sure if advertisement or word salad... ahh It's a complaint, takes awhile to understand but sounds legit. Err... AR and move on - condoms should not be given out in general areas ... 

Were it possible to find every last participating General rated region, that could be done, but there's well over 100 participating places and no collected list of them all to even check against. I think you fail to see just how large this is, it's not a simple one and done...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MsKayess said:

I think you fail to see just how large this is, it's not a simple one and done...

Oh I see how big this is - I ARed this thread* and explained why I did so... because the sooner LL reacts the better...

* not against you but to alert the Lindens on the situation.

LL has the ability to remove the offending item from their servers... that would be one quick solution that will upset a lot (or maybe not I bet a lot general area shop owners will be angry as hell as well as they had put good faith into the company - I doubt they wanted to risk an AR)

Edited by Fionalein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Oh I see how big this is - I ARed this thread and explained why I did so... because the sooner LL reacts the better...

If you're implying an underage user, you'd be sorely mistaken and guilty of a false report on absolutely zero evidence.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Oh I see how big this is - I ARed this thread* and explained why I did so... because the sooner LL reacts the better...

* not against you but to alert the Lindens on the situation.

LL has the ability to remove the offending item from their servers... that would be one quick solution that will upset a lot (or maybe not I bet a lot general area shop owners will be angry as hell as well as they had put good faith into the company - I doubt they wanted to risk an AR)

Ok so we're on the same page then, this is actually a really huge issue as any attempts to speak about it with CSRs are shrugged off, and they aren't taking the gravity of it seriously.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MsKayess said:

Ok so we're on the same page then, this is actually a really huge issue as any attempts to speak about it with CSRs are shrugged off, and they aren't taking the gravity of it seriously.

I'm with Arnaud Amalric on this one - AR them all and let LL sort them out. Seriously everyone downplaying this deserves an AR - just make sure you include the chat transcripts in your AR.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to think that the land owners that are participating in this hunt take some initiative here too in a way. There's a degree of negligence in participating in an event that caters to all maturity ratings and taking a one-size-fits-all approach, especially in regards to giving out content. If booby prizes are to be given out why can't there be alternative selections to choose from; one range for the G/M crowd, one for M/A crowd? I understand this would be a lot of work and maybe not even applicable to the given hunt system (given that I have no idea which one it is and really don't care that much to be honest), but it does sound like the participating parties have taken a rather lackadaisical approach and as such, given the nature of this maturity breach, need to be reported.

If child avatars/accounts are avoiding certain regions then that's a good thing; at least they accept the potential that things could be deemed inappropriate on adult rated lands and are at least using commonsense even if the land owners/participating region aren't. While child avatars are allowed on adult land they are exposing themselves to potentially adult content; providing the hunt isn't one that encourages participants to 'collect from all participating vendors to win more prizes' then there shouldn't be any harm in avatars skipping certain regions due to land rating. But I repeat that those who own the lands and participate in these events need to take a closer look at their practices, either incorporating multiple options for a more general audience, or even moving the adult content to a secondary location, or excluding from participating altogether to avoid situations just like this.

As to whether it's adult content or no? Well a condom isn't for children, so I'd have to just use commonsense and say that it is adult content, regardless as to whether it was intended to be a prank-gift or not. As others have said; file an AR. Getting into discussion with store/land owners/CSR is good in that you are being contentious and attempting to educate those who may not have considered the implications, but bad in that it could just as easily lead to arguments and potentially escalate the situation. Report, support with evidence as best you can (to avoid a he-said, she-said situation), and let LL do their job. :) 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

But I repeat that those who own the lands and participate in these events need to take a closer look at their practices, either incorporating multiple options for a more general audience, or even moving the adult content to a secondary location, or excluding from participating altogether to avoid situations just like this.

Not neccesarily - from info we have so far the hunt was intened for all maturity ratings and the hunt organizer had a good reputation - the hunt item spawners most likely were put out in good faith - I don't doubt some landowners who got alerted about this sitaution already removed them again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Not neccesarily - from info we have so far the hunt was intened for all maturity ratings and the hunt organizer had a good reputation - the hunt item spawners most likely were put out in good faith - I don't doubt some landowners who got alerted about this sitaution already removed them again.

Would be good if they did. I'd like to think they would, but commonsense not being as common as it should be I've little faith in humanity until proven otherwise ;).  Also amuses me to no end that not a lot of people seem to pay a great deal of consideration to maturity ratings either as much as they should. This thread is a prime example why they should if nothing else.

Edited by RaeLeeH
Spellings.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

I'd like to think that the land owners that are participating in this hunt take some initiative here too in a way. There's a degree of negligence in participating in an event that caters to all maturity ratings and taking a one-size-fits-all approach, especially in regards to giving out content. If booby prizes are to be given out why can't there be alternative selections to choose from; one range for the G/M crowd, one for M/A crowd? I understand this would be a lot of work and maybe not even applicable to the given hunt system (given that I have no idea which one it is and really don't care that much to be honest), but it does sound like the participating parties have taken a rather lackadaisical approach and as such, given the nature of this maturity breach, need to be reported.

If child avatars/accounts are avoiding certain regions then that's a good thing; at least they accept the potential that things could be deemed inappropriate on adult rated lands and are at least using commonsense even if the land owners/participating region aren't. While child avatars are allowed on adult land they are exposing themselves to potentially adult content; providing the hunt isn't one that encourages participants to 'collect from all participating vendors to win more prizes' then there shouldn't be any harm in avatars skipping certain regions due to land rating. But I repeat that those who own the lands and participate in these events need to take a closer look at their practices, either incorporating multiple options for a more general audience, or even moving the adult content to a secondary location, or excluding from participating altogether to avoid situations just like this.

As to whether it's adult content or no? Well a condom isn't for children, so I'd have to just use commonsense and say that it is adult content, regardless as to whether it was intended to be a prank-gift or not. As others have said; file an AR. Getting into discussion with store/land owners/CSR is good in that you are being contentious and attempting to educate those who may not have considered the implications, but bad in that it could just as easily lead to arguments and potentially escalate the situation. Report, support with evidence as best you can (to avoid a he-said, she-said situation), and let LL do their job. :) 

It'd be quite easy to script something like this so that inappropriate prizes didn't get handed out in inappropriate regions.

And yes, a one-size-fits-all approach will never work with condoms.

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KT Kingsley said:

It'd be quite easy to script something like this so that inappropriate prizes didn't get handed out in inappropriate regions.

And yes, a one-size-fits-all approach will never work with condoms.

OMG I shouldn't laugh, but that was my first reaction... and now I'm probably going to get flamed/reported. But reading that at face value, well... 😏

But yes, all jokes aside if my child in either world was given inappropriate/adult prizes there would be hell to pay. 🤬

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KT Kingsley said:

And yes, a one-size-fits-all approach will never work with condoms.

**boom boom**

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, for pity's sake. 

OK, I'll be the one to downplay this situation.  The "kids" we're proposing to protect here are all adults in RL.  I think it actually provides an interesting opportunity for some (non sexual!) roleplay.

Kid:  "Mom, what's this?  A balloon?"

Mother: "Uh...not exactly sweetheart.  Give it to Mommy, and I'll give you a cookie instead."

Kid:  "OK...but what IS it?"

Mother:  "Er...Dear, you explain it to her."

Father:  "Why me?"

(Y'all can take this as far as you want.  I think I made my point.)

  • Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The "kids" we're proposing to protect here are all adults in RL.

Exactly. Personally, I would see absolutely no reason to report such harmless stuff, even if that were given out in "General" regions.

Now AR me, too,  if you want. 😈

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I see your point @Lindal Kidd, and I did laugh at what you said. Then I felt bad for laughing and second guessed my emoji reaction to your post. This is what we've come to; a culture of stepping lightly lest we offend someone, and offending people anyway. I think maybe I'm just old fashioned. Not that long ago we could laugh and joke about just about anything and there was a degree of apathy to it; look at TV sitcoms from fifty years ago, or twenty years ago. Shows like 'The Honeymooners' wouldn't be allowed on TV now ("One of these days Alice! Pow! Right in the kisser!"), but it was a different time, and values were different. Things are far more... sensitive now.

And an edit to my post: Age doesn't equate with maturity. So while these child avatars are adults behind the keyboard there's no guarantee all of them are developmentally aware? (Is that the right word for it? How do I say that and not offend anyone either? Egads!) 

So I say AR to play it safe more than anything else. 

(But if anyone's going to teach my kids about condoms it should be the poor teacher in the class room with the plastic banana and... yeah, never mind... Australian Sex-Ed classes are a joke for another time XD).

Edited by RaeLeeH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It doesn't even give out a freaking condom.  Its just an image that rotates on your screen, same as the can of peas or plastic bottle or one of the various fish.  Should the vegans be offended because of a game catching pretend fish?

It's not real in the context of SL. It's implied garbage.

It's not a prize- nothing goes to inventory.

I for one, knew what a condom was before I was an "ADULT" simply by going fishing! Holy cow, a realistic experience! Noticing used condoms on the ground at the lake. Imagine that.  Better yet, I knew what they were from roadside gas station bathrooms.

At that- prophylactics are sold at retail stores & pharmacies that don't require you to prove your age before entry to the premises.  

**on further thought- if anyone who is playing the game, looked at the game at the website, or looked at the billboard on the machine as they  buy the rod/or game- they can see what is included in the random "prizes" that do not go to inventory- such that they would have to be looking at the vendor image before making their purchase- they can't see the fishbowl, or dock, or ship or whatever the "fishin' hole" happens to be and blindly purchase the item on the spot- they have to do so after having access to the information- so if it's going to offend them, or cause worry, they don't have partake.**

Honestly, I do not see a reason to file an AR over this game.  

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Oh, for pity's sake. 

OK, I'll be the one to downplay this situation.  The "kids" we're proposing to protect here are all adults in RL.  I think it actually provides an interesting opportunity for some (non sexual!) roleplay.

Kid:  "Mom, what's this?  A balloon?"

Mother: "Uh...not exactly sweetheart.  Give it to Mommy, and I'll give you a cookie instead."

Kid:  "OK...but what IS it?"

Mother:  "Er...Dear, you explain it to her."

Father:  "Why me?"

(Y'all can take this as far as you want.  I think I made my point.)

People do tend to forget that in G regions there are those 16 -  just under 18. Granted, old enough to know but still not of legal consenting age in the US (over all, each state has it's own but average is 18). So really, it's best not to because irate parents. Whether or not it's AR worthy... each of us has to decide that for ourselves. What is AR worthy for one, may not be for another and vice versa.

Quote

2. ELIGIBILITY TO USE SECOND LIFE

2.1. Age Requirements for Use of Areas of Second Life

Over 19 Users. If you are at least nineteen (19) years of age (and the legal age of majority in your jurisdiction, if greater), then you may access certain areas of Second Life, in accordance with our Skill Gaming Policy.

Over 18 Users. If you are at least eighteen (18) years of age (or the legal age of majority in your jurisdiction, if greater), then you may use any public area of Second Life, in accordance with our Content Guidelines and Maturity Ratings.

Under 18 Users. If you are less than eighteen (18) years of age (or the legal age of majority in your jurisdiction, if greater) and over sixteen (16) years of age, then you may access the General area of Second Life in accordance with our Content Guidelines and Maturity Ratings.

 https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/second-life-terms-and-conditions

Not correcting you Lindal, just posting for those who don't know or believe differently.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm honestly not sure if I'd get very worked up about a condom (a used condom? ewwwwwwwww) appearing as a "booby prize" in a G rated sim. Probably not, although Selene makes a good point, above.

I'm not terribly impressed, however, by the quality of the humour: it's the kind of joke that might get rejected even from a Seth Rogen film.

It's a bit like a 12 year old being introduced to someone named "Richard" by his more familiar name and bursting into giggles: "Heeheehee! You said 'Dick'!!!!"

I suppose it's better than fart jokes, though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, I still think that getting rid of the Teen Grid and opening the Main Grid to teenagers (age 16+) was one of the biggest mistakes of @Linden Lab. If I had had a say, the Teen Grid would still exist for these kids, and the Main Grid still would be for age 18+ only - including the AR category "Minors on the Main Grid".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Condoms are adult content? Can I point out just to be contrary that kids here at least get shown condoms at school at I think about age 11 and get shown how to use them on banana's. While I understand the thrust of the concern I am not honestly sure I am concerned that some 16 year olds might see a condom

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   Not sure how it works 'abroad', but here, they hand out free condoms to teens to make sure that they can have protected sex (they're going to do it anyway, so it's better not risking them getting STDs or teenage pregnancies). So... Condoms handed out in a G-rated region, why not?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...