Security when buying L with paypal?

LouiseDeBlois

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi all, this might be a dumb question but I am currently paying for L via paypal and have noticed it does not ask for any for of confirmation and simply buys said L in question. 

I am wondering if this is only for my PC? Mostly asking because if i ever lose access to my account down the line, I want that added security that even though paypal is linked to the account, they would be unable to buy L on another system/device.

Or does this need to be toggled on paypals site itself?

Cheers.

4 answers to this question

To get into PayPal from your SL account, you have to supply your own SL password.  That should be enough to discourage most people, provided that you have created a strong password and you have been changing it fairly often.  I save mine in LastPass, which can remember the ghastly 12-character strings that I will never be able to hold in my head. 

Your PayPal account has its own password, of course.  If you worry about someone getting into that account somehow, you could verify it with a bank account instead of a credit card, and then only add money to the PayPal account itself just before you need to make a L$ purchase.  Linden Lab won't pull money from a bank account through PayPal, so your potential loss is limited to whatever you have already put in the PayPal account's balance.

In the end, there's no way to remove all risk, so it comes down to how much you are comfortable with.  Personally, I've never had reason to worry.

7 hours ago, LouiseDeBlois said:

Hi all, this might be a dumb question but I am currently paying for L via paypal and have noticed it does not ask for any for of confirmation and simply buys said L in question. 

I am wondering if this is only for my PC? Mostly asking because if i ever lose access to my account down the line, I want that added security that even though paypal is linked to the account, they would be unable to buy L on another system/device.

Or does this need to be toggled on paypals site itself?

i think you buy your L$ in the viewer?.. at the accountpage i always hav to give the the password to actually buy it.
To prevent the viewer automaticly processes a L$ buy you can disable that at your accountpage, so you only can buy at the accountpage.
Paypal won't ask for a password because you accepted the automatic payment with LL as soon they bill you.
There is indeed a risk that if your accountinfo gets phished it will touch your paypal account badly, the same with linked CC/skrill btw.

You can add a prepaid CC to paypal and determine that payments for sl only use this card.

That limits payments to the funds on that card.

Paypal will not overpay. Well - at least not for me. 😎

I only use prepaid cards for LL and tested the paypal method in case something will stop working one day. There is no sufficient security for SL payments since it is all bound to the SL password.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.