Rigging bento fails

Sunbleached

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello! I'm trying to rig a bento hand for avatar, but every time unsuccessfully. Can someone give a link to a good non - Avastar tutorial or explain in your own words what I'm doing wrong?
here is the process i use:
-- downloaded bento workbench from this site.
-- opened in a blender.
-- I create an object (hand).
-- I place the object and the skeleton on one layer.
-- I select object, then a skeleton.
-- I hit control + P.
-- I choose the Armature deform -- With automatic weights.

-- I check if it works in a Pose Mode.
-- I export in a collada format with object and skeleton both selected.
-- These are the settings I set when exporting.

1.png.1253e544e274153e896575b23e5e36c7.png
-- When uploading a model, this is the screen (weights and joints are not displayed).
that's all.

2.png.63a0ba79d9f2f07088d77d59f7f8cc86.png

I do not use Avastar, because I am not familiar with it. can this be done without it?
what am I doing wrong? With a regular skeleton rig, everything works out perfectly, the process is the same. How is bento different from normal besides more bones?

And do i need to delete unused bones?
Please, help!

Edited by Sunbleached

21 hours ago, Sunbleached said:

what am I doing wrong? With a regular skeleton rig, everything works out perfectly, the process is the same. How is bento different from normal besides more bones?

There is no difference as a matter of fact

21 hours ago, Sunbleached said:

do i need to delete unused bones?

Yes, and that's why skin weights can't be imported: they exceed the limit for a single mesh total joints influences.

However, you don't have to actually delete the bones from the skeleton: just remove the vertex groups that don't show any influence on the mesh. I don't know if there's an automated command in Blender to do so; however, doing it manually would be pretty easy. Go to weight paint mode and select the vertex groups in the list one by one. If they're not showing any color other than deep blue, you can remove the vertex group. Once done, export and it should work

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OptimoMaximo said:

There is no difference as a matter of fact

Yes, and that's why skin weights can't be imported: they exceed the limit for a single mesh total joints influences.

However, you don't have to actually delete the bones from the skeleton: just remove the vertex groups that don't show any influence on the mesh. I don't know if there's an automated command in Blender to do so; however, doing it manually would be pretty easy. Go to weight paint mode and select the vertex groups in the list one by one. If they're not showing any color other than deep blue, you can remove the vertex group. Once done, export and it should work

Hello! Thank you so much! Finally i managed to upload my first bento!

But something happened to it, some kind of deformation.

Could you help a little bit more please? what is going on with it?

And i still can see deleted bones names in the Vertex groups window. could this be the cause? how to remove them correctly?

6b44023efb4c40f7942a9ebbdd216344.png.d6e95fc2e1e68ea22979f223762a6124.png5aa1008755a52d506d0745a58f1a1189.png8b1e857ad730ed0c46ee26ebc6bf78b0.png.c795ac0b0639f235e42f6c7d592bd1a1.png

Edited by Sunbleached

On 7/17/2019 at 3:07 PM, Sunbleached said:

i still can see deleted bones names in the Vertex groups window. could this be the cause? how to remove them correctly?

You did the reverse of my explanation. Leave the skeleton as it is in Blender, go in the vertex groups tab, select the vertex group you want to remove and, on the right hand side of the list, where you can see the + (plus) , - (minus) and the pointing down triangle buttons, hit the button with the - (minus) sign to remove the selected vetex group from the mesh data.

The results you are having are due to the deletion of actual bones from the skeleton, maintaining the reference in the mesh data, therefore it confuses the character about what to do with the object and its associated data.

Try again as explained above, I'm pretty sure you will succeed.

Good luck!

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.