Bellisseria Fairgrounds

Owl Dragonash

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, anthonytorino said:

An SL resident in Russia's opinion of Gay PRide, or other community events is irrelevant. We have lived in RUssia, and they have many issues with ego to work through, and struggles to over come, more then their opinion of pride and people rights are concerned, since it is very lacking.

Linden Labs is a US owned company. Second Life regulations fall under that. The founders aspects will continue in support. 

Who someone wants to vote for and the declinign stability and rising egos need to be left out of the community with focus on support of each other as well as compassionate understanding. If the event is for people who are known to slander others, you ccan bet it won't be approved. If it is about inclusion and growth then it will. 

I think we may be at cross purposes.   I mean,  I would have thought that a gay man or woman in Russia would consider the hostility shown by that country's government towards people of his or her sexual orientation was pretty political -- I do, though admittedly I'm neither gay nor Russian.

My point is that I don't think the world divides up neatly into political and non-political, since -- at least in my view -- very often the personal is the political, which is why I think it would cause no end of problems trying to ban political events from the Fairgrounds.     

Let's be specific, though.   July 12th is a date without much significance in US history and culture.     Would you say that a request by the Bellissaria Loyal Orange Order to hold a commemorative parade with a marching band, bonfire and fireworks display, similar to the analog ones they organise in First Life to commemorate a very important event in the history of their community back in 1689, was political or not?

5 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

was political or not?

If someone’s personal politics are against celebrating another nation’s holiday, then to them it would seem political. 

A parade in SL seems like an awesomely chaotic idea. On the other hand, anyone can shoot fireworks on their land, anytime.

My definition of a political event would be something supporting a particular political party or candidate. 

Pride isn't a candidate or a party... well, actually, it's a fabulous party, but you know what I mean. 

I believe LL already has a policy in place, several even, regarding hate groups. 

I don't envy Missy or Patch in having to make some of these calls. 

• Like 2

The line that is commonly drawn and I would assume Linden Lab to draw would be to rule out any party political fairground events and any events that would break their equality policy.

Events for the Democrats, Republicans and anything that might be construed as hate speech off limits.

LGBT Pride, Stop violence against Women, Save the moles.... all permitted. 

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If someone’s personal politics are against celebrating another nation’s holiday, then to them it would seem political. 

A parade in SL seems like an awesomely chaotic idea. On the other hand, anyone can shoot fireworks on their land, anytime.

Put it this way.    A 12 July event organised by the Bellissaria Orange Order to celebrate William III's victory over James II's Catholic forces at the Battle of the Boyne presumably wouldn't seem contentious to many Americans but it's certainly contentious in Northern Ireland and parts of Scotland, and many Brits (and, I imagine,  citizens of the Republic of Ireland, too) would regard it some suspicion.     So whose view of the event do we accept?

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Put it this way.    A 12 July event organised by the Bellissaria Orange Order to celebrate William III's victory over James II's Catholic forces at the Battle of the Boyne presumably wouldn't seem contentious to many Americans but it's certainly contentious in Northern Ireland and parts of Scotland, and many Brits (and, I imagine,  citizens of the Republic of Ireland, too) would regard it some suspicion.     So whose view of the event do we accept?

Having just spent a solid 45 seconds reading up on the Orange Order, I'd classify them as a hate group and assume they fall under LL's policies on hate groups regardless of the country. I don't see them letting al-Qaida host an event, either. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

Having just spent a solid 45 seconds reading up on the Orange Order, I'd classify them as a hate group and assume they fall under LL's policies on hate groups regardless of the country. I don't see them letting al-Qaida host an event, either. 

Nor do i see them allowing an IRA parade down the middle of main. These things are clearly political and clearly part of an ongoing schism that has received a lot of press recently.  It lives on today despite Good Friday and it is still an open wound that living parties can clearly remember.  I don't think there are many British who are still sore over American independence.  I could be wrong...but...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

A 12 July event organised by the Bellissaria Orange Order to celebrate William III's victory over James II's Catholic forces at the Battle of the Boyne presumably ... So whose view of the event do we accept?

Well, actually, the US's crippled educational system hasn't QUITE failed completely, and it seems likely to me that LL employees know that Orangemen parades and celebrations are likely to be problematic.  But your basic point is well taken, I'm sure there are sensitive events that LL would not know about.  If they publish a calendar, concerned residents can give them feedback and they can take it into consideration.

That's the key here: it doesn't matter what WE accept, it's LL's space and they'll permit whatever they want.  Filing endless complaints with them will only make it more likely that the Fairgrounds will close. So I'm taking the advice of those in this thread that recommend that, whatever LL permits, if I don't like it I won't go.  If somehow a truly reprehensible group puts one over on LL, tricking them into scheduling an event that will violate LL's own standards for conduct, I'll give LL feedback.  But not otherwise.

1 minute ago, SerraWeckerly said:

Nor do i see them allowing an IRA parade down the middle of main. These things are clearly political and clearly part of an ongoing schism that has received a lot of press recently.  It lives on today despite Good Friday and it is still an open wound that living parties can clearly remember.  I don't think there are many British who are still sore over American independence.  I could be wrong...but...

I'm only half British and I was born in and live in the US, and I'm still bitter about it. We'd have been much better off if we'd lost that war. 😋

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

If it were the US, the “winners”..

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Human rights should not be a political issue, even if some attempt to control the narrative by making it so.

I agree. But it appears as though pretty much everything is a political issue these days, and if not, then we at least make it divisive; its in our nature. If there's one thing we have collectively learned throughout our history as a species, and throughout all our various cultures and subcultures, that's the art of conflict. Where would we be without a good cause to rally behind? 🤔

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

I agree. But it appears as though pretty much everything is a political issue these days, and if not, then we at least make it divisive; its in our nature. If there's one thing we have collectively learned throughout our history as a species, and throughout all our various cultures and subcultures, that's the art of conflict. Where would we be without a good cause to rally behind? 🤔

Well, black people would still be considered three-fifths human, women wouldn't have the right to vote, Jim Crow laws would still be being enforced, except they wouldn't because slavery would still be legal. Women would be property. Gay people wouldn't be allowed to marry. Black and white children would be segregated into different schools. I might not have my job because I'm a woman and could have been turned down based solely on that... 

Shall I go on? Because I have plenty more examples of where we'd be without causes if you need them.

• Like 2

Just now, Beth Macbain said:

Well, black people would still be considered three-fifths human, women wouldn't have the right to vote, Jim Crow laws would still be being enforced, except they wouldn't because slavery would still be legal. Women would be property. Gay people wouldn't be allowed to marry. Black and white children would be segregated into different schools. I might not have my job because I'm a woman and could have been turned down based solely on that... 

Shall I go on? Because I have plenty more examples of where we'd be without causes if you need them.

Don't need them. You proved my point. Thank you?

22 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

But it appears as though pretty much everything is a political issue these days, and if not, then we at least make it divisive; its in our nature. I

This is good. Right? I have a 50/50 chance.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.