Looking for mesh 1 liter Pepsi & Mountian dew bottles

FiraFirecat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello folks,

Would there be anyone willing to make me a couple of mesh bottles of Pepsi and Mountian Dew, respectively? Would prefer "1 liter" sizes, as I'm trying to recreate an RL scene for my fiance. I had a pair of bottles I bought back in 2015ish(pictured below), but they never rezzed right and have now disappeared from my inventory AND the marketplace. If they were high quality/low prim, even better. Would that be at all possible?

Thank you for your time,

FiraFirecat

Pepsi+MDbottles1.png

Pepsi+MDbottles2.png

• Sad 1

Making a mesh bottle isn't very difficult, even I could do a decent job of that - but keep in mind that Pepsi and Mountain Dew are trademarked and that it would be against international copyright law to create those assets without permissions from the intellectual property holders of both brands.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Making a mesh bottle isn't very difficult, even I could do a decent job of that - but keep in mind that Pepsi and Mountain Dew are trademarked and that it would be against international copyright law to create those assets without permissions from the intellectual property holders of both brands.

Well butts. Does that mean it can't be done then? Is what I had technically illegal? ._.;;;

48 minutes ago, Orwar said:

same might be true to a lesser extent with the form of the bottle itself... it's another intelectual property protection than copyright which is at play there but distincive forms and design elements can be protected - just think 3 stripes for Adidas and such...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FiraFirecat said:

Well butts. Does that mean it can't be done then? Is what I had technically illegal? ._.;;;

Possibly, but it could be properly licensed. If a product is licensed, the creator will usually state this - if they don't, it probably isn't. Some brands have even commissioned their products to actually be represented in various virtual worlds and video games with the purpose of advertisement.

1 minute ago, Fionalein said:

same might be true to a lesser extent with the form of the bottle itself... it's another intelectual property protection than copyright which is at play there but distincive forms and design elements can be protected - just think 3 stripes for Adidas and such...

Yeah, it's more than just the recipe and the logo! ... Actually most recipes aren't 'properly' patented, but rather kept secret since a patent would mean that anyone could access the recipe and bootleg their stuff. Not sure about Pepsi and Mountain Dew in particular.

• Like 1

Another possible case with the same sad result for you: the bottles could have been officially licensed but for another environment/video game and were illegaly ported to SL - totally different beast then but results for you would be the same.

• Like 1

Well that's a tad upsetting. I was hoping to recreate our D&D table set up to make it feel more like when I'd come to visit him across states. It won't be the same without the token beverages, but if it can't be helped, there's not much that can be done. Thanks anyway, folks.

43 minutes ago, FiraFirecat said:

Can anyone tell me how to delete this thread? I have gotten offers on this, but it's become painfully clear that I'll never be able to afford it one way or another...

report it to the Lindens and explain why you want it deleted

On 7/21/2019 at 6:25 PM, FiraFirecat said:

[ ... ] it's become painfully clear that I'll never be able to afford it [ ... ]

Now I'm curious about those offers. In SL (as well as to a large extent, RL), price doesn't translate to quality. Making a mesh bottle or two and a texture each is a fairly quick job (unless you want a very intricate design); for SL you generally don't want the kind of mesh that comes in "100% realistic detail" since, well, we're talking clutter objects - they should have as few triangles and as low resolution texture as possible to avoid unnecessary lag.

When a creator approaches you, always check their portfolio to assure yourself that their quality is up to your expectations - and as far as pricing goes, be reasonable. L$2,500 is 'roughly' a minimum wage by US standards, but to most people it's not employment but a hobby - if you want to hire a professional asset creator the hourly charge should increase, but they should also be able to work more efficiently.

Also, it's a question of what your commission entails - for you to own the mesh and textures and be able to redistribute them however you see fit is one thing, for an item with M/C/NT where they keep the product to distribute themselves, is a wholly different matter.

On 7/21/2019 at 6:25 PM, FiraFirecat said:

Can anyone tell me how to delete this thread?

You can't, but if you flag it for deletion a moderator will get to it eventually.

18 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Now I'm curious about those offers. In SL (as well as to a large extent, RL), price doesn't translate to quality. Making a mesh bottle or two and a texture each is a fairly quick job (unless you want a very intricate design); for SL you generally don't want the kind of mesh that comes in "100% realistic detail" since, well, we're talking clutter objects - they should have as few triangles and as low resolution texture as possible to avoid unnecessary lag.

When a creator approaches you, always check their portfolio to assure yourself that their quality is up to your expectations - and as far as pricing goes, be reasonable. L$2,500 is 'roughly' a minimum wage by US standards, but to most people it's not employment but a hobby - if you want to hire a professional asset creator the hourly charge should increase, but they should also be able to work more efficiently.

Also, it's a question of what your commission entails - for you to own the mesh and textures and be able to redistribute them however you see fit is one thing, for an item with M/C/NT where they keep the product to distribute themselves, is a wholly different matter.

I had two offers. One said they'd only do it for L$10,000 and the other for L$5,000 minimum. when I originally made this request, I went on the average I saw on the marketplace for mesh objects, which I calculated to about L$500/object. I was hopinging to pay about L$1000, L$1500 if I pushed my funds(so between $5-$8 USD). The second offer person made it painfully clear that no mesh commission was lower than L$5000 for a high quality item, especially one that won't "turn triangle" when zoomed out.

I don't have much money IRL. I am unemployed and disabled(not on disability however because high fail rate). So when I do spend on anything frivilous like SL, it's usually not much since I can't only spare maybe about $5 USD.

So since I can't pay the appropriate amount and since copyrights are an issue, I have no choice but to give up on this... It's saddening, but it is what it is...

1 minute ago, FiraFirecat said:

especially one that won't "turn triangle" when zoomed out.

That's... Fishy.

When you upload a mesh object into Second Life, you can determine how it will be rendered at a distance by reducing the object's amount of rendered triangles. If you make a plain bottle, it would on its own have no real issue being fully drawn. You can either reduce the triangle count automatically in the upload, in which case SL decides what goes and what stays, or you can make a lower-poly object to replace it. For small clutter objects, a lower poly count at a distance means that it will have less impact on your rendering performance when your camera is far away from it by making it less detailed - but it's also an issue of how many items and, more importantly, how many (and how large) textures are on them.

You can change how far this distance is by changing your LOD distance in your viewer, and for a bottle which is already quite few triangles (again, unless the design is too intricate), it may be argued that there's no need for a lower-poly model at all as the object is so 'light' to begin with (although an equally strong argument can be made that 'but if I have 200 bottles in a room and I'm not looking into the room, there's no need to fully render them all' - though personally I'd shift that issue primarily to furnishing and region design; too much clutter is never good for performance and should be kept reasonable). Lower-poly models become more important with larger and more intricate objects, say a building's facade where you have a lot of detail that won't be necessary from a far vantage point, where you might just want the general structure to be drawn.

L$10,000 for two bottles, at that point I'd expect them to come with a decent beverage inside.

This is very good information. Thank you for explaining this.

In the end though, it doesn't matter because aside from the fact I can't even afford the low end of the spectrum of L$2500, the copyright thing seems to be an issue as well... It's a dead dream either way...

14 minutes ago, FiraFirecat said:

It's a dead dream either way...

There is another approach.

Go to the marketplace, search for "bottle", specify the search by ticking Copy, Modify and Transfer (this will make fullperms list only) and refine the search.

Find a bottle that looks as if it has a decent enough shape, and make sure that the description mentions that it includes UV maps (why people sell fullperm mesh without them is beyond me, but it happens).

Buy your bottle of choice, unpack it, and create a copy of the mesh that you will work on.

Download the UV map to your computer.

Open the UV map in an image manipulator program (Photoshop, Gimp, whichever you prefer) and texture the UV yourself. If you have no intention of selling the bottles, I don't think even Pepsi would care that you took an image of one of their bottles off of Google and used it privately - but if you want no doubt whatsoever that any legals are broken, design your own soda logo. Upload the texture to second life and apply it to the bottle.

I'm seeing fullperm bottles for L$25 that look good, and you've got 120 listing for L$0-10. If you can't figure the texturing bit out yourself, search for a texture designer instead.

58 minutes ago, FiraFirecat said:

I had two offers. One said they'd only do it for L$10,000 and the other for L$5,000 minimum. when I originally made this request, I went on the average I saw on the marketplace for mesh objects, which I calculated to about L$500/object. I was hopinging to pay about L$1000, L$1500 if I pushed my funds(so between $5-$8 USD). The second offer person made it painfully clear that no mesh commission was lower than L$5000 for a high quality item, especially one that won't "turn triangle" when zoomed out.

I don't have much money IRL. I am unemployed and disabled(not on disability however because high fail rate). So when I do spend on anything frivilous like SL, it's usually not much since I can't only spare maybe about $5 USD.

So since I can't pay the appropriate amount and since copyrights are an issue, I have no choice but to give up on this... It's saddening, but it is what it is...

Huh.

Well, can you create textures?

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/UR-Foods-Soda-Bottle-Set-full-perm-mesh/11823801

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Thorenbuilt-Thors-Tavern-12-Bottles-Sculpt-Map-Kit/2354947

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Mesh-Bottle-5-Full-Perms/8251269

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Mesh-Bottle-4-Full-Perms/8251268

OR, you can pay someone L$10,000 for the same thing with a touch more detail, right?

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Orwar said:

There is another approach.

Go to the marketplace, search for "bottle", specify the search by ticking Copy, Modify and Transfer (this will make fullperms list only) and refine the search.

Find a bottle that looks as if it has a decent enough shape, and make sure that the description mentions that it includes UV maps (why people sell fullperm mesh without them is beyond me, but it happens).

Buy your bottle of choice, unpack it, and create a copy of the mesh that you will work on.

Download the UV map to your computer.

Open the UV map in an image manipulator program (Photoshop, Gimp, whichever you prefer) and texture the UV yourself. If you have no intention of selling the bottles, I don't think even Pepsi would care that you took an image of one of their bottles off of Google and used it privately - but if you want no doubt whatsoever that any legals are broken, design your own soda logo. Upload the texture to second life and apply it to the bottle.

I'm seeing fullperm bottles for L$25 that look good, and you've got 120 listing for L$0-10. If you can't figure the texturing bit out yourself, search for a texture designer instead.

I guess I can try to, but my experience with UV maps is slim. Would a texture designer be more in my budget? Or roughly the same as a mesh creator?

Just now, FiraFirecat said:

Would a texture designer be more in my budget? Or roughly the same as a mesh creator?

Well, it depends - again, price and quality don't necessarily go hand in hand. I might well have had a crack at it for free, but I'm not very good at creating textures out of nothingness, I focus almost only on photo touch-ups.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.