Average number of alts for the average SL resident

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 7/15/2019 at 3:49 AM, onetimethurman said:

Hi guys.. i'm just wondering how many alts most of us here have?  I personally have over 100. One for each important sim/person... 

2 besides my main which I am about 95% of the time.  One alt I established in my business name and use for testing things I make though have used it less than 10 times.  The other is an alt for the Aditi grid though I do not hid her from the Lindens.  In my support ticket to request admission to the Aditi grid, I used an email name which is my main's name and told the Lindens in my support ticket, it's me.  I just want another account to keep my fake lindens for the Aditi grid separate from my real lindens.  

As far as an average, I would guess business owner/sellers have at least one for testing stuffs but speculation is speculation.    

Edited by FairreLilette

At least two other people have made copies of me. Rhondda Huntress and RhondaHuntres.Resident.  Do I include them in my list of alts?

Otherwise ... I have 3 active alts.  The male is replacing an older male alt I lost the login info for several years ago.  And then there is the original main who will never be logged in again even if I could.  So 7 total including my doppelgangers :)

2019-07-31_009.thumb.jpg.b374fdcd3b972d4f1959b40aa5982467.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/15/2019 at 6:49 AM, onetimethurman said:

i'm just wondering how many alts most of us here have?  I personally have over 100. One for each important sim/person... 

I at one point had around 30+ alts, but now I am down to ( not including this account) 3 that I regularly use for roleplay and photography purposes. I am sometimes on one more than the others for a while, because for whatever reason that one may make me feel good about being on it, make me feel cute, dark, sultry, etc.

• Like 4

*phoenix down's the thread* 

Hello, OP. I have had 4.

Tl;dr version: I have been playing Second Life for about 11 years and during this time I've created 4 accounts. They all, except one, served a different kind of avatar. My first, and for the longest time my main account was the regular human avatar. I updated her countless of times through the years and saw fads come and go. I played her fairly consistently until about three months ago. My second account was for animals. That lasted less time as I couldn't really get into it. My 3rd was made because I was bored and I can't even remember the login. It was short lived but it existed And now this one. It's a fun account that has a quirky charm to it because of the character I am playing as. Since making this account my interest in Second Life has sprung back full-force. In time I'll probably consider it my new main. 

• Like 1

let's see.. first alt was when I was RPing fantasy sims.. I wanted a fairy character, so Sunshine was made. She turned out to make me feel happy and more extroverted, and I've occasionally used her to log on to cheer myself up. Then of course I needed her polar opposite.. a very dark, broody character. I logged on her when I felt sorry for myself. She's retired now. Then I made a character for more RP, in a genre I felt like I needed to really leave the old me behind. During that alts lifespan, Morena became the shelved alt. But when it was time to leave that behind, it's just me now. I have one male alt I have never played, just to save a name I like, one alt I use for SL gaming so I don't get bothered, and one Llama that makes cameo appearances from time to time :)  I've never been secretive about any of it, there's really nothing to hide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

It just occurred to me that the reason I don't have any interest in using alts (even the ones I have don't get used) is because all the different looks I have, I still use my main avatar for them. 

You've hit on something I can relate to here... I hate changing my main avatar's look, and aside from quality upgrades, I don't change it much at all. When I'm inspired to make something different, I have to use an alt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

It just occurred to me that the reason I don't have any interest in using alts (even the ones I have don't get used) is because all the different looks I have, I still use my main avatar for them. 

43 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

You've hit on something I can relate to here... I hate changing my main avatar's look, and aside from quality upgrades, I don't change it much at all. When I'm inspired to make something different, I have to use an alt.

AH HA! I'VE CAUGHT YOU!

So... you are two different people. Good to know. 

snowball.gif.00c548c929d79a0bde79c64945c7d7bf.gif

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Haha 6

On 8/6/2019 at 11:22 PM, Matty Luminos said:

I think we may be related. I mean, the last name is a bit of a giveaway...? xD

We're a pretty big clan, tbh. Back at it's height, according to SL Namewatch, there were about 12,000 of us, and I know at least two other Luminoses (Luminii?) inworld that are still active.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

2 Female. clothes horses, both full mesh and 1 male I used once waaay back.

The girls all have the system last name of Solo, which took months to do back then & made for my RL sisters. (who don't SL anymore).
Alts are awesome for stuff like holding the camera for videos when your main is doing stuntwork. (I do all my own stunts ofc) ☺️
Eg: The motorcycle scene @ :33s in this unfinished movie. (hard drive crash). My 2 alts are in it too 😍🥰

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 2

I have several...or more than several...I am not sure because I'm pretty sure I made some and then forgot about them and then I've deleted at least one account. I used to periodically go and make a new account and see what it was like starting from scratch. It used to be easier to get an avatar up to "standards" for free before mesh and I found it interesting to see how the new player experience changed. 

I also made some accounts for different reasons - I wanted to see what it was like playing a kid but that was a long time ago and I've forgotten that name (which is too bad because it had a cool last name). And more recently I tried again and made another account for that and then decided being a kid in SL isn't for me. I also made accounts to see what it was like being a guy in SL or to do more adult things. 

Milly is an alt. I created this account because my first serious SL relationship moved to RL and became very serious and then we broke up and it was difficult to be on my original account and not have a lot of emotions stirred up and instead of breaking out an alt I created a new account. I have 3 accounts with mesh bodies and this is the only one with a mesh head. I recently discovered 2 alts I forgot I made (one was back with last names and I made it because I liked the name combo). I have found I have L on several accounts I didn't realize was there. Not a lot maybe 500L total so I've consolidated that.

I know some people had "bank" alts. At one point the amount of L you had available in world was different than your total account balance and then it got all consolidated into one. I know some people who didn't like that and moved most of their Lindens to an alt and then just pay their main character when they needed money. I'm not sure if it had to do with impulse spending control or just not liking the changes LL made or what.

I made an alt to spy on my main Pussycat because I didn't trust what she was getting up to... but then I needed and alt to spy on that alt because she might have been doing things... but he was suspicious so I had to make 2 alts to spy on him and see what was what...

Now I'm up to about eleventy nine... and I think the one I was using last is actually a spy for the first one... so...

• Like 1

I’ve had a few but they’ve never really stuck. One is set up as a record keeper/manager but I really have mostly stuffed everything actually interesting into this main account. I might take one with a last name out of mothballs soon and then make 1 new one this year, both for a secret project...and set up each with an entirely different head/body for photos and things...a tiny posse of ‘me’?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.