Average number of alts for the average SL resident

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Being serious........

Three alts. All active. I didn't know what an alt was for months.

Then I had a bake fail. Oh and I needed a test bed for mesh and appliers. So Salty was born. And now I can work appliers. Even fancy stuff like Omega.

I enjoyed making Salty so much that I decided to make another sister.

And that was so much fun that recently I made another. I hope thats it. Its no secret. They don't have payment details on file. They don't need payment details on file. Their inventories are much smaller tban mine and well organised. Mine is way too big and not well organised.

I enjoy taking them out. It was never my my plan but for me, this is my SL.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The alts I do have, were made over a period of 4-5 years. So it's not like I was grabbing alts on whims. Not saying anyone here has. 

I watched in morbid fascination two massive frenzied feedings of alt creation. The first was when we were first allowed to have what amounted to unlimited alts. The second was when LL dropped last names and the "new" format was deployed and so many went all paranoia they would be impersonated. It boggles my mind to this day. All those accounts created, never to be used, just sitting on LL's servers gathering dust bunnies and wool socks. And no one was ever impersonated. Not because of all those accounts created, but because it would have been obvious.

My point is, most of us create alts for a specific purpose and those accounts are used, even if only sporadically.

I remember when LL dropped last names and the "new" format was deployed! I made one of my 3 kattatonia avs during that frenzied time, Kattatonia Resident.  Didn't use her much until I started Tiny Empires and then she became one of my subjects. 

My first av made me when she was about one month old.  Then she continued making alts about every 6 months or so just to relive the newbie experience, because she like helping newbies.  As soon as she finished grabbing all the freebies a newbie needs to stop looking so newb, that alt retired.  Later, on after I had taken over, I started playing TE and then I pulled all the alts(including my first av) in as subjects to speed me on my way to princess-hood. 

I rather think I have more than the average number of avatars, but way less than 100.  About 2 dozen that I can remember.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The second was when LL dropped last names and the "new" format was deployed and so many went all paranoia they would be impersonated. It boggles my mind to this day. All those accounts created, never to be used, just sitting on LL's servers gathering dust bunnies and wool socks. And no one was ever impersonated. Not because of all those accounts created, but because it would have been obvious.

Yeah, that's when Rolig Resident was born -- not because of impersonation paranoia but because I wanted to remain the only Rolig in SL.  R2 is my identical twin, or was until I upgraded myself to a mesh body.  I had great fun for a while confusing the crowd with a doppelganger.  Some people don't look carefully past a first name, so it's easy to pass for your double.  These days R2 spends most of her time in the closet.  I haven't wanted the expense of outfitting her with a fresh, new body and the poor girl is self-conscious about her appearance.  I hope she isn't getting paranoid.  I haven't asked recently.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Love the way @onetimethurman calls people whose answers he doesn't like liars.

I don't actually know how many alts I have.  Not because I've created so many, but because I almost never use the few I have.  The only one that gets any regular use is Lynnette.  She comes out once a week to demonstrate the concept of alts to my Avatar Safety class, and once a month to transfer money from my rentals from her account to mine, to pay the tier.

• Like 6

I have a few mostly for testing purposes and to help carry my mainland tier. 

I have an acquaintance that said he made over 2000 back when LL paid for traffic. I don't know whether to believe him or not.

main character socializer 

1alt money maker 16hr long job

2alt Alt newbie helper a optional job for supporting a community

3Alt banking for storefronts has every security feature Second Life offers on that account which I don't like to deal with every time I log on that's why I have it isn't Alt

4alt drama avoidance when I want to get something done but I don't want to have any friends or enemies get in the way

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lynnette Weston said:

And I'm getting sick and tired of it, too.

I wanna mesh body and head and pretty clothes like everybody else's alts!

I outfit my alts with much of the stuff Vanity Fair publishes on her Blog... and a lot of treasure hunting - hell, each of my accounts has at least a male and a female bento and omega compatible mesh body... come to think of it - as long as I have time for this - I don't have enough alts yet... =^.^=

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

I outfit my alts with much of the stuff Vanity Fair publishes on her Blog... and a lot of treasure hunting - hell, each of my accounts has at least a male and a female bento and omega compatible mesh body... come to think of it - as long as I have time for this - I don't have enough alts yet... =^.^=

30-Frustration.jpg&f=1

AAAARRRRRGHHHH!

I have 4 alts, one i don't remember why i created it but the other three. The first to see what happened to me when i logged off. three to secure the last name 'Ghost' when i was ghosting quite a lot i also use it to save money, four to secure myself as a 'Resident' last name. If i want to check something out, outside of my normal inworld time i always get an alt to do it

I don't know what the stats are across the grid and I don't think there's any way to know... not that it really matters I suppose. An alt can become a main easily so trying to keep track would be something of a nightmare. The best we have is speculation, and since we're online you can guarantee that absolutely everyone is being honest 100% of the time. Not. But regarding numbers, my best friend has been around SL a lot longer than me and she's professed to having more accounts than she can remember. Having multiple accounts seems a common occurrence with most of my other friends (that I talk to on a regular basis anyway), and again I have to take their collective word for it since I can't prove otherwise (and don't care enough to want to anyway). I don't doubt some people don't need alts; it depends really on your purpose in SL.

For me, Rae is my alt, who I think has become the main again? How do we discern which is main or alt? Are we talking which account was created first (and all else subsequently considered alternate accounts) or do you mean the one that logs in the most screen time? If its the latter then Rae is my main, but she wasn't my original account.

Original account: Male. I joined SL from Invisionfree forums to RP. I didn't even know that being a female playing as a male avatar was such a divisive topic (or would eventually become one). He has since been retired and is collecting dust on a shelf in all his wonderful classic, flexi glory.

Second account: The account that is currently typing this post.

Third account: A female created at the request of my then partner at the time; basically he had an alt and wanted me to have an alt so we could be alts together? It made sense at the time I guess. He's long gone, along with his alt, but this account logs in now and then to get up to things that Rae wouldn't be seen doing. *cough*

I have a few others; none of which really concern anyone as they're all gathering dust now they no longer serve a purpose.

Four of these have payment info on file. Three are currently paying premium members. Only one of these has a Linden Home too, for the record. ;) 

Edited by RaeLeeH
Because I felt like it? And because... I'm an idiot, twice over?
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

How do we discern which is main or alt?

For most people, it's the account they use/like the most. For me, it's the account I created when the decision was made to stay in SL after the memorial for illume, which is not the account I'm posting with and is the second account I created.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, usedcars said:

I have a couple, but if someone I know reveals to others my alts can I report them??

AS long as you do not have that information on your profile, yes.

Disclosure

Sharing personal information about other users, either directly or indirectly, without their consent—including, but not limited to, gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual orientation, alternate account names (including account statuses, such as whether it is on hold, suspended, or active), and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their user profileis not allowed. Except for the purpose of reporting abuse or any violation of policies to Linden Lab, the remote monitoring, posting or sharing of conversations without a participant’s consent are prohibited.

https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/community-standards

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Some people don't have any, which I would suggest because having alts can get confusing and decrease immersion.  But I have a bunch, mainly for building avs that are completely different, I usually only want to use my main but alts are fun to play with sometimes or for technical reasons, like if you need to be in multiple places at once.

• Like 1

I have two; one was a roleplay alt originally made to keep a group open, and the other was an experiment in making an older avatar, closer to my RL age. The roleplay that the first one was made for is long gone and with the second, I got bored of him very quickly once I'd finished tweaking his look. Neither of them get used very much, except occasionally when I am in the mood for SL but not in the mood for talking to anyone. (They don't have anyone on their friends lists except me, and each other). I am naturally an extrovert so that doesn't happen very often.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.