linden home / land

xBaeBeex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 945 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

You may apply your waiver to a single 1024 parcel anywhere on the mainland, or any combination of smaller parcels up to 1024 sq. m. in area.  So, for example, you might own two 512 sq.m. parcels, one of which might be your Linden Home. 

I saw this written 

so my question, how? ..my reason for asking is.. while i do love my home.. its so..big? .. i dont utilize much of the space apart from my pretty plants... i see no reason to have a full blown kitchen and bathroom since..theres no *need* to poop or eat in SL..  i do love the idea of skyboxes.. if i had one of those to decorate with my plants, that would be amazing.. i just dont know how it all works.. 

9 answers to this question

You don't need a home at all in SL, of course. The Premium membership land fee waiver is designed to give you flexible options.  It's not truly "free," because you paid for it with your membership.  Like any Basic member, you can buy a parcel of land anywhere in SL and build a house of your own choosing.  The difference is that as a Premium member you have two additional choices: (1) you can buy that land anywhere on the Mainland, where Basic members are not allowed to own land and (2) you can get a Linden Home.  Your land fee waiver covers the monthly fees to Linden Lab in either of those two cases.

A Linden Home is basically a rental directly from Linden Lab.  The home is their property (although you get to choose the model) and it doesn't count against the land impact allotment for the parcel.  That means you have the full use of all of the parcel's L.I. allotment for decorating.  If you own any other land (or rent), you have greater freedom to build what you like, but then the house counts in your land impact allotment, leaving you with less to do other things with.

So, if you're in a Linden Home and would rather not be, just abandon it  (Stand in the parcel, select World >> About Land, and click the Abandon Land box).  Go shopping for land that you find attractive and build the house (or skybox) you want.  If the land is on the Mainland, your land fee waiver applies automatically.  That's all there is to it.

• Like 1

wow! this answers so much for me, thankyou! :D ... it's not that i dont like my linden home, i do.. its just.. i barely use the space.. my plan, i want to have a peice of land.. and make like a quiet little sanctuary with trees and the like.. not so much a "home" in the traditional sense? ..if that makes sense. ... i have just been looking at some locations.. 

now heres my question...  

Go shopping for land that you find attractive and build the house (or skybox) you want.

.. it'll sound dumb.. i dont know... but how do I raise my land into the sky? lol.. i dont get how skyboxes work.. is it *ON* land..like actually land in the sky..with the box on top? if so..how..do you raise the terrain up there? .. OR... is a sky box the case of.. you buy a peice of 1024 land.. and put the skybox on the land and just move the skybox upwards? .. i just dont get how they work.. i love the idea of them, but i dont get them.. 

and also, 

Like any Basic member, you can buy a parcel of land anywhere in SL and build a house of your own choosing.  The difference is that as a Premium member you have two additional choices: (1) you can buy that land anywhere on the Mainland, where Basic members are not allowed to own land and (2) you can get a Linden Home

so a parcel of land is NOT on mainland? ..is my understanding correct? ... and if parcels are NOT on mainload, where do I find those? ..and are these parcels used for skyboxes? .. 

sorry.. i know its alot of questions.. ive been trying to look on google and second life for explanations and easy understanding..but i just cant find them :( i even went to youtube..but its just people showing HOW to set up their skybox..and not the steps before that.

• Like 1

i think it might be best to start with understanding how to buy a parcel on mainland. A good intro vid for how to do this is:

once you have bought a mainland parcel then you can rez your own building.  A skybox is a building that you rez up in the sky over your parcel

Edited by Mollymews
rez
  • Like 1

I'm like you.  I don't spend much of my in-world time indoors.  I prefer being outside.  That's one big reason why I never went Premium.  The Linden Homes are lovely, but I prefer having a n extended garden with trees and rocks and a pond....  And I do any "indoor" stuff in a skybox.  Personal preference.

21 minutes ago, xBaeBeex said:

. it'll sound dumb.. i dont know... but how do I raise my land into the sky? lol.. i dont get how skyboxes work.. is it *ON* land..like actually land in the sky..with the box on top? if so..how..do you raise the terrain up there? .. OR... is a sky box the case of.. you buy a peice of 1024 land.. and put the skybox on the land and just move the skybox upwards? .. i just dont get how they work.. i love the idea of them, but i dont get them.. 

OK, so there's nothing special about a skybox.  It's just the same as a box or platform on the ground.  Just lifted up.  Try this .....  Find a nice quiet sandbox (use your Search function to looks for "sandbox" and then choose one that's fairly far down the list and less likely to be really busy).  Then, rez a basic cube prim and sit on it.  Select the prim with your editor , go to the Object tab, and change the value of X in the Position boxes to 1000.0.  You will seem to disappear, but in fact you have just moved yourself and the prim to 1000.0m in the air.  Hit the ESC key to tell your camera to follow you if necessary.  See?  That's how you move anything to a higher altitude, whether you are sitting on it or not.  You could move a large platform or a house the same way.  (When you want to come down again, change Z back to 23.0 or whatever it was. and get off the prim.)

27 minutes ago, xBaeBeex said:

so a parcel of land is NOT on mainland? ..is my understanding correct? ... and if parcels are NOT on mainload, where do I find those? ..and are these parcels used for skyboxes? .. 

A parcel of land is a basic chunk of a region.  Parcels come in all sizes, up to the entire region.  Regions come in two flavors.  There are  Linden-Owned regions and there are Private Estates.  Premium members can buy land anywhere.  Basic members can only buy Linden-Owned land -- land that's in the HUGE estate called "mainland".  In fact, "mainland" is an agglomeration of several semi-independent continents, all in the same estate.  So, you may buy or rent wherever you like.  Having done that, subject to the local covenant, you can build on the land that you own.  If you want to build a skybox, that's fine.  As long as it's OK with whoever owns the region, do it.

I suggest looking for the great free class that Lindal Kidd teaches at Caledon Oxbridge University every Saturday noon SLT about this stuff.  It's a good way to get your head around all the jargon.  Also, start reading articles in the Knowledge Base (link at the top of this page)

35 minutes ago, xBaeBeex said:

sorry.. i know its alot of questions..

That's why we are all here.  Some day maybe you will want to be among the "experienced" crowd here too.

• Like 1

FIFY

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Premium members can buy land anywhere.  Basic members can only buy Linden-Owned land -- land that's in the HUGE estate called "mainland" rent land anywhere. They cannot buy land directly from Linden Lab unless they buy an entire region.

Private estates are owned by other residents. Some estates rent out parcels. The terms of the rentals vary. The type I prefer lets you buy the parcel, so you get nearly full control of it. You pay rent (generally in Linden dollars) to the estate owner. There's no advantage in being a premium member if you do so, because the free 1024 sqm tier you get on mainland doesn't apply elsewhere. As a premium member, you can buy or rent on mainland.

As Rolig mentioned, @Lindal Kidd teaches a class on buying land at Caledon Oxbridge. I don't know the details, but she will hopefully chime in.

Edited by Parhelion Palou
  • Like 2

I apologize.  I typed and edited, but my edits and original text both remained in the final post, so what's there is nonsense.  This forum's edit software takes odd bumps.  Parhelion is indeed correct. My edited sentence said:

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Basic members can NOT buy Linden-Owned land -- land that's in the HUGE estate called "mainland" but can rent land anywhere. 

I did not say 

47 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

They cannot buy land directly from Linden Lab unless they buy an entire region.

but I could have, since that is correct.  Any SL resident (Basic or Premium) can buy a region that is not on the mainland -- as I have myself.The point is that as a Premium member, you can buy land anywhere, including in the mainland estate as well as buying entire private estates.

Edited by Rolig Loon

And, since Par whispered my name...

My Land class is perpetrated on Saturdays, at 12 noon SL Time, at Caledon Oxbridge University.  Free to attend!

@xBaeBeex,

The Second Life world, or "grid", is made up of "regions"...about 24,000 of them.  Each region is a square, 256 m x 256 m, or 65,536 square meters.  These regions may be placed next to each other, or may be separated by empty "void" space, on the map.

A "parcel" is a subdivision of land within a region.  For example, you could cut up a region into 16 parcels, each one 4,096 square meters.  Most of us, not being rich and able to afford whole regions, live on parcels.

If you are a Premium member and get a free Linden Home, it will be on either a 512 sq m parcel (old style Linden Homes) or a 1024 sq m parcel (new Linden Homes).  The new ones are, obviously, in demand!  You might have to wait before you can get one.  Or you can buy your own vacant 1024 Mainland parcel instead.  You can buy a larger one, but if you keep it to 1024 or less, you won't pay a monthly tier fee.

The land itself...the ground you walk on...can often be re-shaped, by a process we call "terraforming".  You can raise up hills, or cut a bed for a stream.  However, terraforming is limited.  On the Mainland, you can't move the land more than 4 meters up or down from the level at which LL originally created it.

A "skybox" is any structure that is up in the sky.  You have to own or rent the land under your skybox.  Skyboxes take many forms...anything from a simple platform in the air, to a big sphere or box with a home inside it, to a giant airship.  Some skyboxes are designed to look as if you are on land, but what you are walking on isn't actually land, it's a cleverly constructed prim or mesh object.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 945 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.