What makes an virtual (art)object truly noteworthy - help a student with his bachelor degree

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi! I'm a 32 year old man, studying to be an arts-teacher in Norway.

For my bachelors degree paper, I have posed the question: "could I, by means of creating  scripted 3-dimensional objects within a particular (rule)space or simulator, figure out some distinctions between Virtual Reality and Real Life art objects?"

After some research, I decided SL was probably the best site to excecute such objects. I've made some progress, but I must admit that many hours have been spent figuring out the tech-aspect of creating and importing prims etc.

Which means that I have less time to "wander the plains", and taking in the sights. I've seen some standout art inworld, and I would love to see some more. But time works against me.

So, I would be grateful for any tips and links to art, objects, shops, sims and any other thing that *you* would want me to see before I leave to finish my report.

I would appreciate tips about things that really stands out, that are truly "virtual" (if that makes sense to you), and if someone has anything to say about "mythical" or SL-culture specific items, that would be great too.

I don't have anything to offer in return for help, other than honourable mention in my foreword.

Yours sincerely, Mr. Thesis

I have two swings outside my shop in Suniaton
They are operated by the SL physical machine and moves very convincingly
The avatar on the swing moves in a way that gives you no problem believing it is the avatar that makes it swing

Jump on it for some time(5-10 minutes) and see what happens.
Nothing is planned. The swing just obey physical laws like a real swing.

I have a piece in SL that I think is notewothy. It attempts to express the idea behind Andres Serrano's controversial photograph of a plastic crucifix in what appears to be a yellow liquid. 

If you would like to see my expression of this idea search for my name in the SL Marketplace. However, you must be logged in to see it because the work is rated as pertaining to mature subject matter. It is not the intent of my work to show hatred or disrespect toward any particular religious beliefs. The intent is to show that freedom of expression is even more important than religious beliefs.

This is not a solicitation to sell copies of my work. If you would like a copy, I am happy to provide it to you for free.

When it comes to Art, I have the three specific person/place in mind.

Bryn Oh  - if you can search for her name please do so.. she is currently running her latest exhibition in SL. I'm a fan of her works.

Tower of Primitives - (actually that's not what it is called, but I can only remember the last name) is another place comes into mind. This place will show you ways you can manipulate a prim to create the object in mind.

Spencer Museum - I visited this sim last year so I'm not sure if it is still open.  Mainly objects created in metal like components with plenty of motions. You can sit on a giant cushion to see everything moves in front of you.

My main focas has generally been glass. It is truly hard to mimik the effect of glass material in SL itself as a3D platform. I think though, alot of sharp contrasts and play with dark and light and thick and thin sharp and soft  angle, are good starters. Also keeping it simple can make any object or composition complex.

Alot of 'First Life' rules apply (weather it's physics or specular) and can be added sparingly but with sharp attention paid to the flow and outcome.

• Like 1

so what makes it?

would say Hunter said many right on it "Alot of 'First Life' rules apply", but definitely art in SL needs to take a view on its medium it self. SL, as a virtual world with the former slogan "Your world, Your imagination!" challenge everyone to be creative. 110506a_008a.png

Willow meant "the Ivory Tower of primitive" i guess, thats one on the first land SL ever saw and truly a nice spot to take some snappies.

Truly Bryn Oh is a top choice! Selavy Oh, and AM Radio as well as all the artists who where seen on the Burning Life 2009(Man) event in Second Life need to be seen.

The Mysterious Wave shows often some real inspiring stuff.

Good to read were imho always "not possible in real life" from BettinaTizzy.

have fun!

Dil :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I love things that are interactive. I think the medium is at least part of the message.

Other than that, Second Life art is like any other art - it's about the impact on the viewer or participant. Regardless of media that is the crucial thing in the end. Communication.

• 3 weeks later...

Movements that represent a purpose for both RL and SL. We live in a very special time where technology is contiously evolving. Our lives are interwined with electronics, computers, and science. Art in SL is quite unique as it is like an extension of real life. Projects in the metaverse vary in purpose. Ones that have soul have the ability to inspire and influence the hearts of people. Singularity Tribe is a notable example of that, after coming across it a few months ago its has that special "it" factor. It is an art, music, and literature project that promotes positivity in SL and RL. Its virtual location is rather spectacular too, a virtual rendition if technology and nature coexisting. I believe they have once a week gatherings for people to make friends and listen to music.

Teleportation Link:http://slurl.com/secondlife//98/36/93  

Singularity Tribe Garden

• Lindens

Many of my favorite creations combine simple features in powerful ways. This affects usability, aesthetics, and other important attributes. For example, a chair becomes easier to sit on if it's enabled for a one-click sit action. Something we obviously don't think about in the "real world", but is uniquely important in SL.

And yes, interaction is paramount. There's stuff you can look at, and there's stuff you can do stuff with too — I like unexpected surprises when I click or otherwise make something happen with an object.

I like to get a strong sense of the creator's personality in their art. It doesn't have to reinvent the wheel, but I like seeing objects that are the top of their form by getting so many things done right in a cohesive package. Even one that's marketed beautifully, it shows how much care was put into the product from how it's presented to the positive emotions I associate with it upon usage.

As for "SL-culture specific items", look for Linden Bears and hippos.

And I really like sitting on this badass throne for the above reasons, right about now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.