Jump to content
Evangeline Arcadia

Tips on how to get nearer to a perfect view from your Home!

Recommended Posts

This is for everyone that might not be quite happy about the location of their home in terms of view,  and don't know about the derender features in the Firestorm viewer which can really make an improvement to it(you need the Firestorm viewer, but if you haven't got it in my opinion it's well worth using as it has other great features too, and is no more difficult to install or use than the LL viewer).

I would first start by saying that a very quick and dirty alternative tip is just set your draw distance to the lowest in your preferences. If you don't want to do that this other tip might work better for you.

Id' also like to thank RaeLeeH, Kitten Kaos for the suggestion and help this thread https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/439904-vacant-homeshouseboats/?tab=comments#comment-1937326 and panterapolnocy in this thread https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/439983-firestorm-derender-blacklist-question/

So my personal example: my houseboat is in a pretty nice location, I can't complain for sure. But the way the houseboats are oriented I'm not that fond of using most of the styles because the outside lower balcony and windows would look straight onto the back of the neighbouring houseboat - not the greatest view...Plus I'd rather not have the neighbour's objects in the back water area in view. And on the other side there is a houseboat opposite and it would be nicer not to have that there. Maybe I wouldn't need my trees on that side to make the view more pleasant and reduce my object count.  So here are the shots before:

neighbours_1.jpg.dd36d2cba9132aeb3c87a1e237c4d5b0.jpgneighbours_2.jpg.360138850102da8fb94cc1d31b1cdb56.jpgneighbours_3.jpg.ff3fd285d27e1fb828546ac139bb2abb.jpg

And here are the views after I derendered the lot:

neighbours_5.jpg.46fdd66ab613e1e9a13515cab438418e.jpgneighbours_6.jpg.0b8bc90f19120256a60dabb179606d4f.jpg

Makes me so happy:) (No offence to my neighbours!) Gives me nicer possibilities with the other houseboat styles too, and the views are improved.

To derender a whole bunch of stuff follow RaeLeeH's instructions (I hope she doesn't mind me copying it here):

Quote

 

 

272983181_step1.thumb.jpg.5596e8222dc438fd2ab511f1cac8229c.jpg

1) Right click on one item to get the edit window to pop up.

 

1601597666_step2.thumb.jpg.690ebfd024ba3b3e83b1d42afc768819.jpg

2) While you still have that original item selected, click and drag your mouse to cover the area that contains all the objects you want to derender (you should see all the items highlighted).

 

2145294282_step3.thumb.jpg.f84ebd8a3366be8f30c1f73ba6d2927c.jpg

3) When you have this mass-selection highlighted, right-click on one thing (anything) that is highlighted > More > More > Derender.


For a single object simple right click and choose More>More>Derender. When you get to the Derender option you can choose 'Blacklist' or 'Temporary'. Temporary lasts until you log out. Blacklist lasts as long as you want. However this does not work across PCs, so if you use another one you'll have to Derender again.

To remove something from the Blacklist go to the World menu 'Asset Blacklist' and that opens a list of all items you have blacklisted. You can them remove items, and they will reappear. This works for Linden owned items so if you have some walls or bushes (or other houses!) near your traditional house you don't want to see, just derender them!

I've used Firestorm for a while and only recent learnt about this feature, so I'm guessing there are others who may not know about it too.

Have fun!

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An alternative way to Derender, kindly intorduced to me by a resident inworld (Moon that's you if you see this :)),  is as follows:

 World menu >Area Search.  Go to the Options tab and only check Owner. Then Go to the Find tab and hit Search (don't enter anything in the fields). Then go to the List tab and you'll see owners name's listed so select that person's name and click Blacklist.

I haven't tested this thoroughly myself, just putting out there in case anyone prefers an alternative method. So don't shoot me if I've got something wrong here:)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

isnt derendering everthing that bothers, go against the "community" feeling? .. erasing what's next to you is something that belongs on the , for many, crappy mainlaind .
Thought the whole thing was about be in, be with and live on shared experiences.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

isnt derendering everthing that bothers, go against the "community" feeling? .. erasing what's next to you is something that belongs on the , for many, crappy mainlaind .
Thought the whole thing was about be in, be with and live on shared experiences.

 

You only derender what you don't want in your view, not the whole region or something. If I don't want to see a neighbours objects from my back area view then how is that against community feeling?

The new neighborhoods are not going to please everyone. Some may want this view or that, or don't like walls around their home, or the hedges, or whatever...the list could go on. LL can't build a 'perfect' spot for everyone. So if you can tweak it a bit to your liking by just derendering then why not if it makes the resident happier? And only the person derendering doesn't see the object anymore. It changes nothing for other people in SL, they'll still see it. So again, how does that affect community feeling?

And this goes into the conversation about people being able to do what they want (withing ToS)  when they are inworld with their home and their premium perks.  If I don't want to look at the houseboat next door, that's up to me, and if it makes my personal experience in SL better, then isn't that a good thing?  I'm not wrecking a community by derendering the houseboat...

And although they can contribute to a sense of community environment, community feeling is about more than objects...it's about people...

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

And although they can contribute to a sense of community environment, community feeling is about more than objects...it's about people... 

Most of the time I have those derendered too :) Anyhow great topic.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

To derender a whole bunch of stuff follow RaeLeeH's instructions (I hope she doesn't mind me copying it here):

I don't mind at all and am glad to help, but people just need to bear this in mind (just in case):

21 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

As far as I'm aware, there is no limit to how many items you can blacklist.
Though it really wouldn't surprise me if having an extremely large blacklist may cause problems.
The blacklist has no serverside support & the blacklist is stored locally on your machine.

I will say that I've been mass-derendering things for years and haven't had a problem related to it that I know of, but everyone's machine and experience will be different of course. So basically do so at your own risk.

Oh! And I just remembered; @Evangeline Arcadia you might want to mention that you should probably relog after removing items from the blacklist in order to see them again. Simply removing them doesn't make them suddenly appear in world again, at least that's not the case for me. But they do appear after I relog so it's worth mentioning in case people don't read the links you posted in your OP and panic. :) 

 

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

isnt derendering everthing that bothers, go against the "community" feeling? .. erasing what's next to you is something that belongs on the , for many, crappy mainlaind .
Thought the whole thing was about be in, be with and live on shared experiences.

I do see your point; why be part of a community if you're just going to erase chunks of it? The thing is no one knows what you derender except you. Derendering doesn't have to be permanent, and photographers have been using that trick for... since SL probably started to achieve better views. There's also a perk in that, as some claim, having less to render offers some slight relief to your system that would otherwise have to process all this excess stuff (and potentially less texture thrashing/textures going blurry-clear-blurry, which will definitely improve the user experience). And if you have a neighbour... well like me for example who usually has A LOT of clutter, that's a lot of textures and objects to render. So if people don't want to see that, isn't that their right to hide it if they can? 

One bonus to this is that people may be less inclined to move house if they can just derender whatever they don't like; whether it's that giant rock blocking their ocean view or flaming letters on a neighbours roof (yes, I saw that earlier in MY neighbourhood here in Bellisseria). Isn't that a good thing? Speaking from experience there's things in my RL neighbours yards I would love to hide permanently if I could, and at least here we can, no muss, no fuss. I would be more inclined to object if someone was derendering everything around them until they back themselves into a corner where they are basically living in a skybox on the ground; but that again is their choice to make. It's also their problem if they bloat their blacklist and cause problems to their viewer as mentioned in the quote above yours.

As adults we should (I wish) be able to make decisions that we think are best for ourselves. We are, theoretically, a community here too on the forums and there's no harm in sharing differing opinions. We can agree to disagree, or partially disagree in this case. So long as people aren't deliberately harassing others or breaking the ToS what's the harm?

 

2 hours ago, iBrat said:

Most of the time I have those derendered too :)

^ Likewise! Though maybe not everyday, but especially those with 1001 attached pets, Rapunzel flexi, blinding bling, gesture-mad, butt-smacking, over-inflated avatars that are so script heavy they black-screen me the minute they land on or leave a region. Oh, and at sales events too. 😂

Anyway, bottom line; its your home, its your call to make. 

Edited by RaeLeeH
Added bit about relog, textures, blah blah...
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

An alternative way to Derender, kindly intorduced to me by a resident inworld (Moon that's you if you see this :)),  is as follows:

 World menu >Area Search.  Go to the Options tab and only check Owner. Then Go to the Find tab and hit Search (don't enter anything in the fields). Then go to the List tab and you'll see owners name's listed so select that person's name and click Blacklist.

I haven't tested this thoroughly myself, just putting out there in case anyone prefers an alternative method. So don't shoot me if I've got something wrong here:)

 

Doesn't that block the entire Resident? It's one thing to block specific objects of them, but another to block their person altogether. If the latter occurs, that might be a mite too drastic for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Doesn't that block the entire Resident? It's one thing to block specific objects of them, but another to block their person altogether. If the latter occurs, that might be a mite too drastic for me.

I've never tried that method either but I just did and if I did so correctly it doesn't derender avatars, just that selected avatar's objects.

TIP: you need to raise your DD (draw distance) quite high if you don't have it set high already and if you are intending to derender objects that aren't relatively close to your avatar's position. I don't think it works if you are trying to do so on another region either, but I haven't actually tried.

Honestly... I can see potential for problems with this system, like accidental derendering. But to each their own. It may be a more streamlined process compared to mass-selection to those more familiar to it. Again, I'm no expert on it so I shall leave it for actual experts to confirm details. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RaeLeeH said:

I've never tried that method either but I just did and if I did so correctly it doesn't derender avatars, just that selected avatar's objects.

TIP: you need to raise your DD (draw distance) quite high if you don't have it set high already and if you are intending to derender objects that aren't relatively close to your avatar's position. I don't think it works if you are trying to do so on another region either, but I haven't actually tried.

Honestly... I can see potential for problems with this system, like accidental derendering. But to each their own. It may be a more streamlined process compared to mass-selection to those more familiar to it. Again, I'm no expert on it so I shall leave it for actual experts to confirm details. :) 

 

Thanks. :)

Just curious how that works 'block by Resident'. Does it block all their current objects, and future ones too? Normally, if you derender, say, their boat, and they rerezz it, you would need to blacklist it again (new UUID). Guess I need to go experiment with this a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

isnt derendering everthing that bothers, go against the "community" feeling? .. erasing what's next to you is something that belongs on the , for many, crappy mainlaind .
Thought the whole thing was about be in, be with and live on shared experiences, 

 

I don't think that "shared experience" really applies here -- that restriction was brought in, as I recall, to put a stop to things like the old Emerald hack to give people extra attachment points in the early days of mesh, when we only had a few points to use, and we could wear only one to a point, that looked perfectly OK if you were using Emerald but looked to anyone not using Emerald as if  the attachments floating round in space were surrounding the avatar like so much planetary debris, which made SL look a very messy place indeed if you weren't using that particular TPV.

I'd have thought de-rendering views you don't like was a far better way of dealing with the problem than erecting privacy screens or putting up fences and hedges (which look a bit silly on a houseboat anyway).     

I don't see how it's different from keeping the blinds closed in your RL home to obscure an unwelcome view.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Thanks. :)

Just curious how that works 'block by Resident'. Does it block all their current objects, and future ones too? Normally, if you derender, say, their boat, and they rerezz it, you would need to blacklist it again (new UUID). Guess I need to go experiment with this a bit.

You're welcome. And I honestly can't say this method works with 100% conviction insofar that it answers all your questions. In the Filter tab you can exclude certain objects criteria, so it may be a matter of playing with those check boxes too to see if they have the desired effect. Like I said, seems a tad overly complex to me, but then I guess someone could argue the mass-select method is too to someone who hasn't mastered the ability to do so. 

I tested this again NOT using the method described above, but by doing this;

World > Area Search > List (to find all the objects closest to your avatar's position). Then once you find a group of objects in a resident's name that you wish to derender, select Find (in the Area Search for Objects box) > type in the resident's name in the Owner field > Search. Once that list has generated, left-click the first object on the list, hold down the Shift button on your keyboard, and select the last object on the list to select the entire list. Once the list is highlighted, right click on the list, and select Derender > Blacklist from the drop down menu. I can confirm that deletes the resident's objects but not the resident's avatar. You are only deleting objects that you highlighted, so if they rez another copy you will have to repeat the process to derender that too. Someone else might have an easier method, but that just worked for me. :) 

Edited by RaeLeeH
Added... stuff. And more stuff!
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

World > Area Search > List (to find all the objects closest to your avatar's position). Then once you find a group of objects in a resident's name that you wish to derender, select Find (in the Area Search for Objects box) > type in the resident's name in the Owner field > Search. Once that list has generated, left-click the first object on the list, hold down the Shift button on your keyboard, and select the last object on the list to select the entire list. Once the list is highlighted, right click on the list, and select Derender > Blacklist from the drop down menu. I can confirm that deletes the resident's objects but not the resident's avatar. You are only deleting objects that you highlighted, so if they rez another copy you will have to repeat the process to derender that too. Someone else might have an easier method, but that just worked for me. :) 

That's very similar to the method I use at laggy shopping events to derender everyone else in the vicinity. I use the click-shift-click on the Nearby tab to highlight the names of all avatars I don't want to see, then temporarily derender them. Makes shopping much less laggy. I'll have to try your idea to do it with objects!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

isnt derendering everthing that bothers, go against the "community" feeling? .. erasing what's next to you is something that belongs on the , for many, crappy mainlaind .
Thought the whole thing was about be in, be with and live on shared experiences.

 

Yes and no. I don't see many logged in the same time as me. I am talking from my experience, it is probably different if you are in the US?

I must admit that the 16 x 64 boat plots feel a bit tight. Drawers in a chest of drawers. Derendering boats where the residents aren't even inworld with you, don't ruin the community feeling? When it was brought up in the other thread, it was first talk about derendering empty boats.

I took a trip around and deleted all the boats that was empty, in my region. I took those with only 1 - 10 Li items rezzed, too. I heard that when I derender, my computer don't need to load it, better for me.

Derendering houses would just look strange, I think. Open plot with hedges around? I could always derender the hedges, but then, a big, open place without decor. I tested it on a house, not permanent derender, and it looked weird. On land, I save permanent derender for things I really don't like.

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

That's very similar to the method I use at laggy shopping events to derender everyone else in the vicinity. I use the click-shift-click on the Nearby tab to highlight the names of all avatars I don't want to see, then temporarily derender them. Makes shopping much less laggy. I'll have to try your idea to do it with objects!

I do this as well but found a button that is faster! If you go into your Avatar Tab, then down to the Toolbar Buttons, there is a "show friends only" button. This will derender everyone not on your list. And as soon as you tp out of that parcel, it resets for you ♥

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JessycaJayne said:

I do this as well but found a button that is faster! If you go into your Avatar Tab, then down to the Toolbar Buttons, there is a "show friends only" button. This will derender everyone not on your list. And as soon as you tp out of that parcel, it resets for you ♥

Oooh, wow, thanks! I feel like racing off to find an event now to try this out! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Oooh, wow, thanks! I feel like racing off to find an event now to try this out! 

lol you're welcome!! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Oooh, wow, thanks! I feel like racing off to find an event now to try this out! 

I use same but find mine in tab world, last one show friends only.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JessycaJayne said:

I do this as well but found a button that is faster! If you go into your Avatar Tab, then down to the Toolbar Buttons, there is a "show friends only" button. This will derender everyone not on your list. And as soon as you tp out of that parcel, it resets for you ♥

So wish I had known that at SL16B shopping event:) Thanks!:)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JessycaJayne said:

I do this as well but found a button that is faster! If you go into your Avatar Tab, then down to the Toolbar Buttons, there is a "show friends only" button. This will derender everyone not on your list. And as soon as you tp out of that parcel, it resets for you ♥

59 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Oooh, wow, thanks! I feel like racing off to find an event now to try this out! 

Yes, this is very helpful to reduce lag and get rid of the ugly people.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SweetTaffeyLove said:

Yes, this is very helpful to reduce lag and get rid of the ugly people.

My dear, you are not nearly as subtle as you believe, and the moderators are not idiots. You might want to rethink your little personal vendetta.

Honestly, who hates bunnies?

419e63aea45f9723caa52cb5b56f96fa.jpg.55237b84dbb89a76513eb6fa1a2fb6bd.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BelliBunBun said:

My dear, you are not nearly as subtle as you believe, and the moderators are not idiots. You might want to rethink your little personal vendetta.

Honestly, who hates bunnies?

 

Don't know what you are talking about but you should really stick with the topic.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SweetTaffeyLove said:

Don't know what you are talking about but you should really stick with the topic.

What is the topic, dearest? Ugly people? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BelliBunBun said:

What is the topic, dearest? Ugly people? 

In my experience derendering gets rid of ugly objects, ugly people, and better views. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SweetTaffeyLove said:

In my experience derendering gets rid of ugly objects, ugly people, and better views. 

You're just the most charming little peanut ever, aren't you? Could just eat you up! 

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BelliBunBun said:

My dear, you are not nearly as subtle as you believe, and the moderators are not idiots. You might want to rethink your little personal vendetta.

Honestly, who hates bunnies?

419e63aea45f9723caa52cb5b56f96fa.jpg.55237b84dbb89a76513eb6fa1a2fb6bd.jpg

Hamster steals the bunneh and takes it to her shoe box so she has something cute and flooofy to snuggle wiff ♥

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...