Materials on a lower-poly mesh layer?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I accidentally bought a prefab dress mesh on the MP. Oops. Well, I thought, I might as well texture it then, right? Right. But whilst working on it, and tried to apply a specular map to it, I noticed that, well, the specular layer appears to be clipping through the diffuse layer. I'm no expert, but I thought that the specular and bump maps went on the same mesh faces as the diffuse? I've noticed before that some clothing have triangular (or square) gaps in the shine though so, I'm not sure what to make of it. The best idea I can come up with is that the specular layer would somehow be lower-poly version of the mesh, causing the gaps...

Snapshot_013.thumb.png.28bbeb02b5e591f94b33fb16e05c9680.png

Any thoughts?

I have noticed that the specular and normal maps sometimes get applied with different parameters than the diffuse map. However, that can not be the case here.
Could it be possible that your diffuse map has an alpha channel? Or maybe the specular map does, or both?

It's the only thing I can think of.

Hm, not on my layer, no - the picture is of a dress from a store that I noticed had the same issues, so I'm unsure whether their texture have any alphas since I can't access it. Now I can't seem to attach any specular layer at all. The moment I go out of build mode, it resets to blank.

Oh, never mind. I was still using the diffuse map from local rather than the uploaded version. Now I got the materials to stick... And it looks like it isn't clipping anymore. Maybe that was why.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.