Would you play SL classic?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

See, that's what makes it so hard to understand. I would be the first one someone would say "go away" to and they wouldn't even have a reason or excuse. 

Bellisseria seems to be a pretty open and welcoming community here. Come over and join me. Bring a horse or something.

Scooter-in-Bellesseria-Blank.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

Is your scooter rideable?

Yes! It's actually a lovely little machine, with a ton of options. And I can almost ride it now without crashing into things!

Mostly.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes! It's actually a lovely little machine, with a ton of options. And I can almost ride it now without crashing into things!

Mostly.

It’s cute! I only have prop scooters... I need to invest in the real thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I have visited many times as a mermaid to swim its waterways and marvel at the sights.

I'm not a mermaid, but the beaches are quite nice. This one is "All Hours."

AND open to anyone. Really -- and I'm sure that there are residents who are reading this and blanching -- more people should take advantage of Bellisseria. It's quite a lovely build, and it already has a community going. It could become a kind of nexus, maybe, for a new wave of sociability in SL?

Oh, and the water is lovely, btw. I think we need to organize a forum beach party.

All-Hours-Beach-Bellissaria-Blank.png

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Residents who are reading this and blanching -- more people should take advantage of Bellisseria. It's quite a lovely build.

How ? .. I'm still reluctant to claim my Linden home, because nothing like Belissaria is availiable. 😶

5 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

How ? .. I'm still reluctant to claim my Linden home, because nothing like Belissaria is availiable. 😶

Well, I don't have a home in Bellisseria. And yet here I am, enjoying a very nice and entirely deserted beach. And there are picnic areas, parks . . . and there are people. (Just not in this beach at the mo.)

The streets are a bit funky in places though. I have to drive my scooter fairly carefully.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

AND open to anyone. Really -- and I'm sure that there are residents who are reading this and blanching -- more people should take advantage of Bellisseria. It's quite a lovely build, and it already has a community going. It could become a kind of nexus, maybe, for a new wave of sociability in SL?

Oh, and the water is lovely, btw. I think we need to organize a forum beach party.

I’m a resident, and I say the more, the merrier. A beach party sounds fun. 🎉

8 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

You don’t have to live there to explore the area.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I couldnt possibly hang out with a girl with such scandalously scanty clothing .....nods

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

I’m a resident, and I say the more, the merrier. A beach party sounds fun. 🎉

Why not?

We just find a beach that's a little more secluded, and less likely to annoy the neighbours. (Although I have yet to run across the proverbial stick-shaking old grump in Bellisseria. Where's @Arduenn Schwartzman when you need him?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

I couldnt possibly hang out with a girl with such scandalously scanty clothing .....nods

Such a delicate soul you are, Kanry!

I passed people wearing less than this walking my dog down my street in RL a half hour ago.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Bellisseria seems to be a pretty open and welcoming community here. Come over and join me. Bring a horse or something.

Scooter-in-Bellesseria-Blank.png

Figured I'd better say something so people would know we did speak inworld and we do have plans to ... what were we... oh yeah... 

*starts digging around in ancient history inventory* I know I have a couple of horses...  I wonder if those dinosaur hovercars and hoverbikes I built back in 2006-8 will still work... 

*is now completely lost in inventory while her project sits idle on a platform in a public sandbox...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Such a delicate soul you are, Kanry!

I passed people wearing less than this walking my dog down my street in RL a half hour ago.

I am from a very sheltered background what can I say.....neck lines are neck high and never seen an ankle

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

We just find a beach that's a little more secluded, and less likely to annoy the neighbours.

I've explored enough to know that there;'s a lot more to Bellisseria than beaches.  Almost every region has small parks and several regions have large communal spots (neighborhood swimming pools, canal-side benches and tables ... ), so there's no lack of public spaces.  Some of the nicest ones are at the headwaters of streams, where the Moles have often made little picnic areas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I've explored enough to know that there;'s a lot more to Bellisseria than beaches.  Almost every region has small parks and several regions have large communal spots (neighborhood swimming pools, canal-side benches and tables ... ), so there's no lack of public spaces.  Some of the nicest ones are at the headwaters of streams, where the Moles have often made little picnic areas.

I see a lot developing right here underneath me .. Actually saw a Linden busy at work .. 😮

HL_067.png

Edited by TDD123
Met a Linden
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yes, I've bookmarked this page, and been doing a bit of exploring, both on scooter, and using LMs. There are some really pretty spots. It shouldn't be difficult to find one suitable for an informal get-together or party.

https://thebellisserian.wixsite.com/news/landmarks

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

Wanna learn fast ? I can chase you on my motorbike 😜 :)

Now that's a shame. If you're riding one of those, you can't be a member of our new club: Hell's Scooters: Scourge of the Bellisseria BIA and PTA.

Then again, Selene I think wants to ride a horse or a hover-something or other. Maybe we can make a few exceptions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ok, so . . . what has changed? Because something certainly has.

I've been thinking about this. When I joined almost exactly 11 years ago (I hope someone has the rez day cake on order!), the problem wasn't finding social places: it was choosing from among the wide variety available. To people like me (and, I think, you) for whom the social element of SL was most important, the "late 2000-aughts" were a kind of Golden Age, I think. I eventually settled into three -- a really popular "coffee shop," the activist/NGO/educational community, and the forums (with their in-world component, the Forum Cartel). But the coffee shop went offline in 2009, the activist community (although still present) began to fade substantially as the SL hype died down, and the forum community has evolved and become less in-world oriented than it once was.

There has been a major shift in the culture of Second Life over the past seven or so years: it is no longer nearly as sociable as it once was, and I don't know the reason. Part, of course, is maybe simply that concurrency has dropped, and maybe that has taken the platform below a sort of "critical mass" required to sustain in-world communities -- but the community-driven culture I am pretty sure predates the rapid expansion of SL in 2007-2009.

Voice hasn't impacted social relations the way I once feared it might: I actually can't remember the last time I ran into someone in-world using it.

The advent of mesh has made creation a much more specialized thing than it once was: people build in-world much less than they used to, and the community of creators has shrunk drastically, and that may be a contributing factor for some communities?

And when I go to many popular places now, the chat and interactions aren't happening in open chat: they are happening in IM. So, where clubs used to be great places to meet people and participate in a larger community, they are now frequently unnervingly silent, despite still being jam-packed with avatars. Maybe the shift from open chat to IM parallels the social media shift from relatively open community-oriented apps like Facebook, to closed chat apps such as WhatsApp?

And finally, most of the "communities" that I am still a part of are no longer so anchored in an in-world locale, with the result that interactions within larger groups tend to happen in group chat, with most of the participants not actually being physically in proximity to each other. Why?

I'd love to know what happened. I still enjoy the social aspects of SL: I have a pretty large circle of friends (a surprising number of whom remain from the "old days"), and I'm almost never without someone to talk to when I'm in-world, but I do very much miss community. And the "wildness" and "fun" that you speak of was a function of those communities: the really crazy, exciting stuff was seldom one-on-one, but was almost always generated by a larger group of friends.

When I read this earlier today (I cannot get on the Second Life site at work, and of course LL does not support mobile), I thought there was a question in there for me, but now I am not so sure, lol. If there was a question and I missed it please let me know, and I will have a go at answering you. :)

Really, though, some parts of what you say are exactly my point: the difficulties of finding communities around my interests, partly caused by the move to IM instead of using local chat (except for chat spam, which still seems to thrive). If you don't already know the people at a club somehow, you are not going to get to know them. In the past, though, I had a lot of people IMing me when I went to clubs. For the last few years it's only occasional random guys when I happen to go to coed places (guys who did not bother to even read the first word in my profile, which would save us both a lot of annoyance). My personality did not change, and I only got better looking, so I think it was SL that changed, and not me.

It isn't just that, though, it is that places like I loved just don't exist anymore. A lot of what I found exciting was stuff that I feel pretty sure would not interest you, but there was that wild anything goes atmosphere back in the day, and places for it to exist and even thrive, and all that is gone, or at least I personally cannot find it anymore. To me, SL kind of gentrified a long time ago, maybe when they started applying ratings to regions, I don't know. But I miss the old days and get very sad when I think of them.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.