Shadows and white areas on mesh heads

Kaia Sachin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I try out skins on various mesh heads they do not look like the creator's photo. When viewed in Midday lighting, there are white areas under the eyes, on the nose, above the mouth and on the chin, dark shadows under the eyes, etc. that makes it look less realistic and less warm toned than the photo. Is there any way to fix this? I am not sure what I may be doing wrong. I am using the provided shape.

compare.thumb.jpg.67a228294deebbb14e3a738a30f71e8c.jpg

At the midday WL, the sun's light comes from above you. The vendor's picture is most likely shot in a studio setting with a 3-point lighting setup.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kaia Sachin said:

Thank you so much! But then everyone else will still see me looking like that lol 

You can never really control how other people perceive your avatar in SL. Your avatar might look excellent in your viewer, with your settings and your WL and advanced lighting model - of you're unlucky, to others you might just look something like this:

Snapshot_007.thumb.png.14657925c104042541d48e3e197e31d1.png

• Like 1

lol very true. I appreciate everyone's help and feedback!

2 hours ago, Eva Knoller said:

From my experience a lot of people do not use midday as their default. I never do. 

Do most people use special windlights? I have been in SL for almost 10 years and only use sunset and midday lol. Still so much to learn!

I use "Nam's Optimum Skin and Prim" almost all the time. It's one of the defaults in Firestorm but if you don't have it you can make something similar in the Environment Settings menu by altering the Sun/Moon light (turn it way down dark) and Ambient Light (turn it way up high). This will eliminate those ugly shadows on all avatars, not just your own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaia Sachin said:

lol very true. I appreciate everyone's help and feedback!

Do most people use special windlights? I have been in SL for almost 10 years and only use sunset and midday lol. Still so much to learn!

Like Matty I use Nam’s Optimum, or another one  I am blanking on right now, as my defaults. For photos I play around with all of them until I find one that matches the mood I’m going for.

Edited by Eva Knoller
Spelling
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

I typically stick to the region day cycle but I'm probably a minority.

I think that would be smart as it over time reveals lots of bad seams and stuff but all the self important people seem to use calwl and seem really surprised when you don't as well ;)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

I typically stick to the region day cycle but I'm probably a minority.

Me too. It makes the world to feel more interesting and dynamic as the lighting changes during the day cycle.
I occasionally use specific Windlights when taking snapshots and/or when checking skins for example.

18 hours ago, Fionalein said:

I think that would be smart as it over time reveals lots of bad seams and stuff but all the self important people seem to use calwl and seem really surprised when you don't as well ;)

A friend of mine uses a windlight setting that seem to burn everything into a weird "fullbright" look that kills any and all nuances and I fail to understand how they see it as "better"...

I suppose it gets rid of that dreaded nose shadow...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tend to go with Region Default Windlight. But, when I break out the camera I open Firestorm's Photo Tools, click New Sky and start adjusting from whatever starting point the region supplied.

When I am putting on my makeup I use a couple of different Windlights, CalWL, Nam's, and Analu's. But, the recent changes for EEP seems to have thrown these off a bit.

It will be interesting to see how EEP changes things.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.