Jump to content
CynicismSells

Ugly brick corner pieces

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, CynicismSells said:

LOL bring it on. I'll have my stick and bindle packed and ready. 

Better first look at HER lot! ūüėā

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, suzyst said:

Typical, thousands of premium members are hitting refresh hoping to get one of these homes and someone who has been lucky enough to get one is complaining about a minor cosmetic thing that could be fixed with 5 mins work and a little imagination.

Sometimes it is a benefit to you because they just can't seem to get over what seems like a flaw and they abandon it.  I did that with my first home.  I just couldn't get the yard the way I wanted where I was and believe me I tried.  So I decided to let it go so that someone who would appreciate the parcel would get it :).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, karynmaria said:

Sometimes it is a benefit to you because they just can't seem to get over what seems like a flaw and they abandon it.  I did that with my first home.  I just couldn't get the yard the way I wanted where I was and believe me I tried.  So I decided to let it go so that someone who would appreciate the parcel would get it :).

 

So did I. :) I abadoned my first home, because it was located at a less than ideal location. No biggie.

I'm pretty sure I heard a Mole say here once, that we really shouldn't be asking them to remove a hedge, a road, a fence, etc, and that we should just accept the landscaping 'as is.' And I fully support that call. The OP didn't ask for that, of course; but just saying I believe it's a good policy to either simply accept what you got, and try to live with it, or abandon your land, if you really can't live with it.

My current houseboat, I would have preferred a corner 'office', so to speak. :) But who wouldn't?! I'm just grateful I got one. If you want everything just the way you'd like, then maybe it's time for a private island?!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are still waiting for a home, why on earth would you complain that someone is thinking of releasing one back into the wild that you would have a shot at....

 

nose to spite face

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SerraWeckerly said:

If you are still waiting for a home, why on earth would you complain that someone is thinking of releasing one back into the wild that you would have a shot at....

 

nose to spite face

Because some people literally just come on here searching for things to be angry about and to complain about. :/ 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

And...the trolls are back again! ¬†They must all have really busy lives ūüėā

Edited by Armani223
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Armani223 said:

And...the trolls are back again! ¬†They must all have really busy lives ūüėā

One might make the same observations about those who excessively complain and whine. :)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Since the Mole provided brick walls and such are outside the parcel, you can't really place anything on/over them.  You could, however, place some sort of shrubbery inside the parcel that ended up protruded through the brick wall, which would still look really bad.

Technically correct BUT (and I don't in any way condone this, it's just one of those "do as I say, not as I do" rules that my mother always threw at me when I was growing up) you can actually place items outside your lot providing you use an anchor that remains inside the boundary lines, you just shouldn't do it as it's against the Covenant to do so. And I have to think that anything you rez to cover brick walls is going to be bigger and bulkier in an effort to mask, which in turn doesn't really solve the original problem, it just compounds it (and trust me to overthink and complicate matters unnecessarily). So at the end of the day after all that is said and done, leaving things as they are would be the best option - that, or move. But that's another problem for another day. ;) 

Edited by RaeLeeH
Correcting dodgy formatting.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Armani223 said:

Rolls eyes! Some people with LL homes are never satisfied and complain.  How difficult it must be for you to have to work around some landscaping on your home. I’d be thankful to have any! 

You and others don't want people raining on your parade while you complain in the "Vent here" thread, but it is apparently okay for you to tromp on anyone that complains about any other aspect of the Linden Homes.  

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

Technically correct BUT (and I don't in any way condone this, it's just one of those "do as I say, not as I do" rules that my mother always threw at me when I was growing up) you can actually place items outside your lot providing you use an anchor that remains inside the boundary lines, you just shouldn't do it as it's against the Covenant to do so. And I have to think that anything you rez to cover brick walls is going to be bigger and bulkier in an effort to mask, which in turn doesn't really solve the original problem, it just compounds it (and trust me to overthink and complicate matters unnecessarily). So at the end of the day after all that is said and done, leaving things as they are would be the best option - that, or move. But that's another problem for another day. ;) 

While you are technically correct on how to get around the issue, I'll also agree with you about definitely not condoning such things.  I'd go so far as to highly, highly recommend that nobody do such.  Normally a first violation would get things returned and a warning issued.  These days, given the extreme shortage of homes, I wouldn't put it past LL to evict the person and make them wait to get another home.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

While you are technically correct on how to get around the issue, I'll also agree with you about definitely not condoning such things.  I'd go so far as to highly, highly recommend that nobody do such.  Normally a first violation would get things returned and a warning issued.  These days, given the extreme shortage of homes, I wouldn't put it past LL to evict the person and make them wait to get another home.

Oh, definitely. Which is why I suggested people don't try it. Considering we already have people testing the boundaries of what they can get away with I think anyone that breaks the rules does so at great risk. Ignorance is no excuse. But people being... well, people... Need I say more?¬†ūüėú

(I even put your quote in bold because it should be reinforced. Never let anyone say they weren't warned!)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RaeLeeH said:

Technically correct BUT (and I don't in any way condone this, it's just one of those "do as I say, not as I do" rules that my mother always threw at me when I was growing up) you can actually place items outside your lot providing you use an anchor that remains inside the boundary lines, you just shouldn't do it as it's against the Covenant to do so. ...

I did do that once and I dare say it may be against the wording but not against the spirit of the Covenant. The case was this...

There was a brick pathway and between that and my house- entrance a small sort of hill or rampart which you had to cross by foot before entering my house. For the neighbour the moles had constructed a sort of stone flight of stairs from the path to his house for me they hadn't *sob* ... so I just took the freedom to construct two stairs up - platform - two stairs down ... all textured like the pathway and with an anchor (root prim) on my ground.

48265714001_3fa7e27864_b.jpg
After_Steps by Leora Jacobus, auf Flickr

48265713781_7e43550564_b.jpg
Before_Rampart by Leora Jacobus, auf Flickr

 

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

I did do that once and I dare say it may be against the wording but not against the spirit of the Covenant. The case was this...

There was a brick pathway and between that and my house- entrance a small sort of hill or rampart which you had to cross by foot before entering my house. For the neighbour the moles had constructed a sort of stone flight of stairs from the path to his house for me they hadn't *sob* ... so I just took the freedom to construct two stairs up - platform - two stairs down ... all textured like the pathway and with an anchor (root prim) on my ground.

I'm guilty of this myself, and I have seen a LOT of people doing the same thing by adding pathways, driveways and such.

The issue is that while the majority of us do adhere to the theme, there are just as many people out there who don't care for the rules and will blatantly disregard them. And it's THOSE people who will eventually ruin it for all of us who are doing the right thing, or insofar as the wording of the Covenant allows.

I really do think it is only a matter of time before LL starts cracking down on everyone because of the sins of a few. They definitely will the more this "liberty" is abused, hence the warning "Don't do it". :) 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I think if someone rezzes really UGLY things that are outside the theme (pink unicorns for instance *ggg*) inside his backyard that is more against the SPIRIT of the Covenant then rezzing things with the LL textures tht naturally BELONG there outside.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Well I think if someone rezzes really UGLY things that are outside the theme (pink unicorns for instance *ggg*) inside his backyard that is more against the SPIRIT of the Covenant then rezzing things with the LL textures tht naturally BELONG there outside. ÔĽŅ

I already left a house because of "ugly". Every day I woke up had to derender something else at the neighbours. No doubt that others derender my stuff too :)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the pink unicorns I had at a neighbours Houseboat - derendered them and a lot of similar pink stuff - that's what the "derender" is for I guess

Whish we had something like that in RL ;)

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Whish we had something like that in RL ;)

 

Me too! Including a block feature.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, karynmaria said:

Sometimes it is a benefit to you because they just can't seem to get over what seems like a flaw and they abandon it.  I did that with my first home.  I just couldn't get the yard the way I wanted where I was and believe me I tried.  So I decided to let it go so that someone who would appreciate the parcel would get it :).

That does seem to be a sensible thing to do and I'm sure others have done the same, and you all did it without whining on the forums :)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

I'm guilty of this myself, and I have seen a LOT of people doing the same thing by adding pathways, driveways and such.

The issue is that while the majority of us do adhere to the theme, there are just as many people out there who don't care for the rules and will blatantly disregard them. And it's THOSE people who will eventually ruin it for all of us who are doing the right thing, or insofar as the wording of the Covenant allows.

I really do think it is only a matter of time before LL starts cracking down on everyone because of the sins of a few. They definitely will the more this "liberty" is abused, hence the warning "Don't do it". :) 

 

I haven't done it myself yet (little use for it on a houseboat, really), but I can readily see how one might want/need to do so with the traditional homes.

I should myself be careful not to encourage ppl to break the rules. Nonetheless, I think you, or Leora, probably don't have to live in fear of seeing your pathway removed all of a sudden. :) It's, indeed, all the spirit of the thing. It's also never stated they will remove encroaching stuff, but they do reserve the right, though: "Objects that extend outside of your parcel can be returned without warning or notice." So that no one has recourse to complain should it happen.

Also, the Covenant, veiledly, *does* seem to allow for what you and Leora are doing, leaving the door ajar a bit, stating¬†"¬†Do not extend objects outside of your parcel in a way that will block, wall off, or ‚Äúclaim‚ÄĚ public areas for yourself to the exclusion of other residents." That, to me, reads as "If you don't blatantly abuse the practice, causing no hinder to others (visually or otherwise), then you are not in immediate danger of getting a knock on your door from the¬†Mole Police."¬†ūüėõ¬†But that is really just my personal interpretation of¬†things, and may or may not be true.

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Also, the Covenant, veiledly, *does* seem to allow for what you and Leora are doing, leaving the door ajar a bit, stating¬†"¬†Do not extend objects outside of your parcel in a way that will block, wall off, or ‚Äúclaim‚ÄĚ public areas for yourself to the exclusion of other residents." That, to me, reads as "If you don't blatantly abuse the practice, causing no hinder to others (visually or otherwise), then you are not in immediate danger of getting a knock on your door from the¬†Mole Police."¬†ūüėõ¬†But that is really just my personal interpretation of¬†things, and may or may not be true.

Actually, your interpretation is pretty much how it goes in Bay City, and it is how I read it for Bellisseria as well. The point is not to trample on other residents' experience. In Bay City, if you add a little mailbox or sidewalk or driveway, anchored on your own parcel, and they look good and do not hinder passage for anyone else, then we have been told by LL that that is not a problem. When people start being stupid and building annexes across the road is when stuff starts magically flying back into Lost and Found folders. Just show some sense and all is good. :)

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I am reliefed that I don't have to fear Mole-police hammering at my door! ;)

I enclose a bit better snapshot of what I have been doing to show a.) that it was necessary and b.) that it doesen't spoil the neighbourhood. GOOD that they left room for things like that in the wording of the Covenant.

By the way I just realized that in the yard of this house I have the same "ugly brick corner pieces" that the OP so dislikes. I do not think them ugly and am quite happy to have them (and some alternating hedgees)  for I stuffed the edges of my "lawn"  (a prim with a grass texture to hide my sandy grund texture) right under them. In front of the house I had to add some moles hedges to do that.

 

SteppingStones.jpg

Corner_Pieces.jpg

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2019 at 7:45 PM, CynicismSells said:

Is there a way to request these monstrosities be removed? They're on all 4 corners of my lot and they make it impossible to make the tootie white picket fence work :(

I might toss the house back just because of these... ugh.

 

slhome.JPG

What area is this so I know what to look at for even though it is not for me.

I added an add on to one of my homes but still is part of the theme just adds an extra room and also a patio area in the back.

I had a property that I was not happy with because of how things where placed outside my boundary and decided to release so someone else would enjoy. But that was also before they prevented you from refreshing after 10 times. 

The process is now even a bigger pain to acquire a home so you just have to weigh your options. Can you decorate to improve the walls or are they just so unbearable to look at your choice at the end of the day what will make you happy.

Edited by tootsiepop1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...