What are all these new terms when buying items ?

Ted McGregor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm somewhat confused over new terms when buying things. Could someone please enlighten me about them ?

What is Bento ? What is Maitreya ? Are there any implicaitons to bear in mind when using them ?

I missed out on all that and I don't know what they mean.

Thanks for answering this to me. in advance.

A bento item is rigged to the newer bento skeleton, allowing more fine detail of movement (individual finger movements). Maitreya is a brand that offers a female mesh body (the Maitreya Lara) - items rigged for that body should work with it, whereas if you've got another body, an item rigged for that body might not work with yours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

So my LL viewer is Bento compliant and this skeleton is built-in replacing the old one ? Or am I still using both somehow ?

Bento is an improved *.bvh skeleton we all have ?

The Bento skeleton replaces the original skeleton but it still contains all the bones of the original SL avatar skeleton. The difference is that quite a few bones were added.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TDD123 said:

Bento is an improved *.bvh skeleton we all have ?

Exactly.  The old skeleton is still there so all the old animations still work.  Only now we also have other things like individual fingers, 4 legs, 2 sets of wings and a tail.  However when something says "Bento" they are usually referring to the face and hands since that is what we see most often.  If you buy Bento animations they will have animated the fingers and hands instead of relying on the old limited hand positions.  Bento rings are rigged to the individual fingers so no matter how they are animated the rings will always be positioned correctly on its finger.

Similarly, Bento wings will be rigged to your wing bones and be animated by ... well, a *.bvh animation instead of relying on scripts and/or flex prims.

• Thanks 1

Bento added over 90 additional bones that items could be rigged to. It allows for much more complex finger movement like this, and complex facial animations like this, as long as both hands and mesh head are Bento-rigged. It's also used for clothing that moves with the body. A classic example of that would be thigh-high boots, which - in the past - had to be worn in three sections that would 'break' when the knees and ankles bent, but now they move with the body more naturally. Other uses include realistic tails and wings, and quadruped avatars.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

Thank you for those examples. I never seen avatars with these possibilites of expressions.

Giant leap , I suppose, for ma .. chinima.

and you skipped all the predecessors like mesh bodies with exchangable static hand poses... or face flipping heads :)

• Confused 1

Yeah .. what I actually noticed is that most of my inventory ( aside photo's documents and such ) that most object , although somehow somewhat, working are kinda useless.

Like and old computer game on outdated media that you keep for sentimental reasons. I mean, it was basically much stuff I bought years ago and left unupdated or which have been abandoned by creators altogether.

I missed out on a lot. The catching up is somewhat draining .

I'd better take it  all in dosewise.

Edited by TDD123

On 7/11/2019 at 12:29 PM, Orwar said:

Maitreya is a brand that offers a female mesh body (the Maitreya Lara) - items rigged for that body should work with it, whereas if you've got another body, an item rigged for that body might not work with yours.

To build on this good explanation, there are some clothing items that claim to be built especially for some mesh bodies (Maitreya body, or Slink, or others...) .  Mesh bodies tend to come in a few attachments: body, hands, and feet.  So if you happen to enjoy wearing your Slink body but want to wear shoes that were built for Maitreya, you can swap your Slink feet to Maitreya feet so that the shoes fit.  (That may or may not be true of other mesh body parts from other creators.)  Also, the Maitreya rigging most closely resembles the default avatar skeleton (or at least that was true before Bento, it did for a long time -- correct me if I am wrong, someone) and so very often a default avatar can wear Maitreya-rigged garments with a little alpha-help, not actually requiring a mesh body to wear the garments.

(It isn't my mesh body of choice; I don't want to be seen as promoting it. But the brand name is in the OP so I furthered that conversation. )

17 hours ago, Clarrellae said:

... and so very often a default avatar can wear Maitreya-rigged garments with a little alpha-help, not actually requiring a mesh body to wear the garments.

It works vice-versa too:  if you have a mesh body then often an item made in classic sizes will fit too. But this isn't always the case so it's important to try demos first. In particular, often the alpha-cuts in the HUD don't match with the garment.

And if you have a classic body and you're trying to wear something for a mesh body, they normally don't come with an alpha mask at all, so you'd need to make your own.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.