How do you take measurements in-world?

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was thinking of making a very simple wall in mesh to cover up something I can't change in-world.  The first thing to decide is how to get a perfect measurement of the existing structure out to Blender.

My usual method is to place 0.01sq prim cubes at strategic points, link them all together, and export the linkset as a collada.  I have to remember the actual corner of each prim that is the 'vertex of note', but this works quite well.

I used to use flat thin prims to actually cover the in-world object exactly, but then you have the issue on large work of looking very closely at two or more places at once.

But how would you do it?

Edited by anna2358

If it's something you made yourself, you can get precise measurements and even location transferred to Blender with the Firefox dae export function. I can post a description exactly how to do it if anybody needs it.

But beyond that, I'm afraid using prim markers the way you describe it is the only way and it's not very precise. Using tapered prims helps a lot since they give you a clearly defined point.

• Like 1

I've had much success with texturing prims as real world measuring devices. 

I have a ruler and a protractor, and intersect these with what I want to measure, to avoid camera parallax. The measurements I read off have all been quite accurate enough for my purposes, and comparative with measurements directly within Blender.

• Like 1

rez a box prim inworld. Scale it to fit the bounding box of the piece you want to make in blender. Note its dimensions in the edit window.

If the mesh you make in blender has the same dimensions in the right-hand data bar with scale showing at 1.0 in all axes (which it will after you apply scale), you can upload it as-is and it will fit that same bounding box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

rez a box prim inworld. Scale it to fit the bounding box of the piece you want to make in blender. Note its dimensions in the edit window.

Oh, I forgot that one. Or rather I misread ANa's post and thought she already knew that method. That's the good old way of doing it of course.

6 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Oh, I forgot that one. Or rather I misread ANa's post and thought she already knew that method. That's the good old way of doing it of course.

Oh, yes, I know about that.

But it's always helpful in  these threads to complete the list.  Then it won't become next year's necropost.......

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.