Releases under the Fog of War

PrudenceAnton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

another thread heading for oblivion looks like

c'mon people stop with the commentary on how we feel about other residents

the OP is about the processes involved in releasing homes. What they could be, how might they work and what the practical issues, caveats and rationales of the suggested method(s) might be. The OP is not about how we feel about other people 

6 minutes ago, BJoyful said:

I too have my angst-ridden moments and today I did.  I was insulted, yelled at, sworn at and threatened by a large number of angry screaming babies who definitely need to seek some anger management and I was rather shocked that these 3 year olds are using expensive computers without adult supervision!

I witnessed some fairly nasty remarks in the chats today, and I even got an unpleasant IM from someone about my congratulating a friend that was fortunate today to get a home in Bandit region. I was basically told to knock it off, it was bragging and offensive.

I find it shameful when some people let their own pettiness blind them from the effects of joy and happiness, others wish to express over the good fortune of eager members finally getting their Linden homes. Apparently only their own good fortune matters to them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, iBrat said:

I actually think the "fog" will make all worse, as we already seeying. When there were just big releases, everyone atleast knew when (because announced in forum) and when you didn't got a house, well on to the next batch.

Then we got the 3 times a week, had to guess timing at first. Then the 7 - 2 frame was added. Then (clearly nobody's fault) a release was missed due sickness of a key person in the release. Then we had holiday. Then there was a "suprise" release on tuesday...  Also, the info topic stays quiet, but yet there are things mentioned in groups by Patch inworld. This causes confusion and frustration.

My opinion is that not knowing how or what or when is the biggest issue and causes people to stress out on all, including 24/7 refreshing.

Hi, iBrat. :)

Way I see it, the greatest source of disappointment is anticipation. Aka, shattered expectations. I believe @PrudenceAnton really hit the nail right on the head with her very lucid assessment of the situation. The higher ppl build up their expectation, the greater the disappointment when they didn't get one, after all. Telling ppl exactly when and where new homes will be released, precisely builds up these expectations -- to levels where apparently the ensuing disappointment is really becoming troublesome (for themselves, foremost, but definitely also for the forum as a whole).

'Not knowing how or what or when' can be excruciating, no doubt (like when you're awaiting the results of some medical tests). But, where it pertains to Linden homes, I feel it's pretty much like not knowing whether or not you'll win the lottery: you get used to it very soon, and then, one day, it's not even on your mind any more. :)

Tl;dr: I think what Prudence proposed is a very good idea (and, in a way, what the Lindens are already half-way doing, no longer announcing each and every release batch).

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

I think it's a wonderful idea. Oddly timed releases done when they wish to do them. 

As to your other points, thank you. You said it much more eloquently that I could have in the state of rage I've been in. 

For years, people have craved more interaction with the Lindens and Moles. 

We finally had that... finally. 

How much fun were those first few weeks? We had Lindens and Moles all over the place, not just building but also seeing and being a part of the community that THEY created. Patch was everywhere. The goofiness here on the forums, the inworld groups, the exchanging of ideas, the excitement and laughter. It was amazing and magical.

Now? Yeah, that's mostly gone. Rarely are they spotted here on the forums anymore and it's usually when one of them has had enough of the abuse and defended themselves, and then they're gone again. We don't see them just hanging around Bellisseria. Patch got fed up enough today to leave one of the community groups today. He'd already left the other group's Discord. 

They're retreating again, and is it any wonder?

I want it to go back to how it was.

My first impulse was to type in your exact words here, for my own post. That would look silly, of course; but I nonetheless agree with *everything* you said there, and wish to add I couldn't have said it better myself. ❤️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

/me muses further

The unfairness of the process is enraging to some, yes.  But ... i wonder if we can help folks surrender some of those expectations of fairness, and maybe that will lead to more resignation and less rage?

Maybe we need to reset expectations in the whole population.   It's not like our real lives are "fair".  Some in these forums have been treated pretty badly by the genetics fairy, or the family wealth fairy, or the computer fairies.  Others have been blessed.  Humans are used to that, we just play the hands we're dealt.  It may be that folks in SL are less accepting, simply because SL is where folks go to ESCAPE unfortunate unfairnesses in RL.   But maybe if we in forums spend less time striving for the perfect properties, and more time on what can be done with less perfect properties, maybe we'll be helping instead of inflaming people.  Exhibit more of what can be done with non-ideal properties in Belli and elsewhere.  Maybe a new thread about creative uses of older LH properties?

Realistically, here's the hand dealt to SL Premium folks:

-- Right now, there's a very limited supply of pretty 1024 properties.  BUT, LL intends to make a lot more over time.  They plan to replace the old LH properties with newer 1024s, and nicer 512s, in several themes.  What we see now is NOT all there will be.

-- Right now, Belli 1024s will be going to people who can navigate the land menu very quickly.  Over time, there will be less demand, and that will no longer be true.  There may be more updated continents in addition to Belli.

-- Right now, premium members have 1024 of tier to spend on Linden Homes or mainland properties.  Perhaps we in the forums should spend a little time helping folks find really nice mainland 512s and/or 1024s, if they have little luck getting Belli properties.

Edited by Nika Talaj
added other continents
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PrudenceAnton said:

It might be Sylvia. And you might be correct to your prior post. I have not seen that message before today. It could be Linden Labs normal error message and perhaps I received it today due to a higher strain on the server than normal. Patch did state in group chat today that the servers were going crazy and heating up. It sounded in jest but I think he was serious, that the high traffic was overloading and some were seeing laggy delays as pages worked to refresh and some of us saw the above message.

The more pertinent question, to me, is: why does their 'server error' page show a home endlessly more beautiful than the crappy Meadowbrook default home they're showing us?! 😜

home2.thumb.jpg.71b209e4b2ca2e0c66ea3e778b171922.jpg

Edited by kiramanell
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, PrudenceAnton said:

I witnessed some fairly nasty remarks in the chats today, and I even got an unpleasant IM from someone about my congratulating a friend that was fortunate today to get a home in Bandit region. I was basically told to knock it off, it was bragging and offensive.

I find it shameful when some people let their own pettiness blind them from the effects of joy and happiness, others wish to express over the good fortune of eager members finally getting their Linden homes. Apparently only their own good fortune matters to them.

Same for me today, Prudence 😶 I do try to simply empathize and do my best not to let their anger and insults get to me and most importantly not to allow my own frustration with their foolish immature behavior affect others around me but today for the first time since moving to Bellisseria I thought about giving up our cherished houseboat and retreating to our former skybox life... but I'm no quitter ♪

• Like 5

I've gone back to lurking mostly here in the forums, and in the two main Bellisseria groups in world.  Over the weeks the vitriol/negativity/whining has become a Debbie Downer and that is just not how I want to spend my time here in this virtual world I love.  To be honest it won't matter how these homes are released as there will always be people who will complain that it's not fair.  It saddens me that adults act like 2 year olds over a friggin pixel house.  A pixel house!!!  Reminds me of that one girl in Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory..."I want it now!"  If you get that upset over a pixel house you need to act like an adult and hit the X button in the top right corner of your computer screen.  It's been fun guys.  I'm done for a while.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Seba Serpente said:

Independently if people can or cannot see the office Lindens arround, we can all see the regions awaiting for them.

There is no point on having the moles slapping regions quickly if the regions are not being set-up quickly.

Let's hurry that up, people.

Can you please make some sense?! It's very frustrating: I very much want to disagree with you, LOL, but I have no idea even what you're on about (or just 'on', period). 😄

• Haha 6

I have been in Second Life since 2007 as a premium and I have not entered the competition of the houses, and when I pass this madness I am sure there will be many abandoned houses ... and then I will take possession of some. I'm more than happy to see that something has aroused the desire of this community ... accompanying everything here as a TV series. My advice: If you want to be in Bellisseria put a boat in the sea and enjoy the tour!

Belissaria_010.png

• Like 13

22 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

-- Right now, premium members have 1024 of tier to spend on Linden Homes or mainland properties.  Perhaps we in the forums should spend a little time helping folks find really nice mainland 512s and/or 1024s, if they have little luck getting Belli properties.

It's not that I'd mind helping find good pieces of mainland, but if you suggest this to most people they explode into a cloud of drama. They want a new house, not an old house or a piece of mainland.

Something that would soften this would be if premium had more tier than could be used on a single Linden Home. Then people could have a piece of mainland in addition to a house, which would mean they wouldn't have to choose between the two, it'd distract them if the home was delayed, and it'd fill up some of that mainland abandoned land. But if that does happen, it won't be tomorrow.

• Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

Something that would soften this would be if premium had more tier than could be used on a single Linden Home. Then people could have a piece of mainland in addition to a house, which would mean they wouldn't have to choose between the two

They can have one of the older homes AND a 512 plot of Mainland at the same time for no extra costs.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, BJoyful said:

Same for me today, Prudence 😶 I do try to simply empathize and do my best not to let their anger and insults get to me and most importantly not to allow my own frustration with their foolish immature behavior affect others around me but today for the first time since moving to Bellisseria I thought about giving up our cherished houseboat and retreating to our former skybox life... but I'm no quitter ♪

You better not quit or I'll come hunt you down in that lonely skybox! *smiles* I've seen how you treat others in the group and I for one think you're one awesome person! so stay where you are!!!

• Like 9

Just now, anniepany said:

You better not quit or I'll come hunt you down in that lonely skybox! *smiles* I've seen how you treat others in the group and I for one think you're one awesome person! so stay where you are!!!

Hugs Annie ♥ I'm no quitter ♪  YOU are Awesome!  😍

• Like 6

The problem is "it's just pixels" and ... it isn't. Art takes time to make and what the Moles and Lindens are crafting is indeed art.  Art that people will project themselves into and so it becomes very personal and maybe a cypher for other unfulfilled desires. The frustration, I understand; but the inability to regulate one's response to frustration... and the willingness to throw up negativity on others in their own community- including the very people bringing them the sets for these experiences, that makes me just determined to keep trying to forge some spirit of optimism and shared creativity. It's all the more precious to me because of the people who recognize the value in this & will persist along with me.

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

The more pertinent question, to me, is: why does their 'server error' page show a home endlessly more beautiful than the crappy Meadowbrook default home they're showing us?! 😜

Because REALISTICALLY the chances of getting the "pretty new home" are dim and people CAN get an older home. If LL started "advertising" the new homes in photos on the 503 and similar pages (even the "get your new home" ad on the main backend webpage) that would be VERY bad and people would complain even more --- with the bait and switch scenario which did for awhile have some credence but maybe not so much now -- I asked and didn't get an answer on the current ads coming out. 

46 minutes ago, BJoyful said:

Yeah, good to hear you don't intend on quitting. I would be less than joyful (lame pun, lol) if you did. So, please, don't. :) 

Seriously, though, as my father** used to tell me "Never let people l push you into a spot you don't want to be, or out of a place you *do* wish to be in." Honestly, you should never let toxic forum stuff ever make you feel like you should have to retreat to your skybox. :( You obviously love it there, and we love having you here! ❤️

** And no, my dad was not abusive (sorry, wee inside pun: couldn't resist 😁).

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

They can have one of the older homes AND a 512 plot of Mainland at the same time for no extra costs.

No extra cost is a bit wrong to say there. If you want a land on mainland, you have to purchase the land, not pay the tier, but purchase. Linden homes you dont need to purchase the land at all.

Even more sad is that land lords often take advantage of this and they take all the lands premium members can get with the included tier, and jack up the purchase price.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Because REALISTICALLY the chances of getting the "pretty new home" are dim and people CAN get an older home. If LL started "advertising" the new homes in photos on the 503 and similar pages (even the "get your new home" ad on the main backend webpage) that would be VERY bad and people would complain even more --- with the bait and switch scenario which did for awhile have some credence but maybe not so much now -- I asked and didn't get an answer on the current ads coming out. 

You may have taken my observation a little too serious. :) It was largely just in jest: you know, as in funny that their error page looks so much better than their actual 'homes' page. 😍

But I suppose you have a point.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Seba Serpente said:

No extra cost is a bit wrong to say there. If you want a land on mainland, you have to purchase the land, not pay the tier, but purchase. Linden homes you dont need to purchase the land at all.

Even more sad is that land lords often take advantage of this and they take all the lands premium members can get with the included tier, and jack up the purchase price.

Perhaps some people don't know that any Premium Member can purchase a piece of Abandoned Mainland for L$1/m2 by filing a Support ticket and asking to purchase the land (take a SLurl or an LM).   The initial investment is $1,024 if you wish to buy 1,024 m2, which is equivalent to just under 3.5 weeks of Premium stipend, and live there rent free and tier free as long as they wish to remain Premium.

There are many Mainland parcels which can be purchased for even less than L$1 per square metre from Private sales.  Even though these parcels may not be as nice as Bellisseria, many are very nice and can be as nice as a parcel owner makes them, or alternatively put a beautiful skybox above the land. 

If a property owner does a nice job of decorating the land, they could also earn a profit if they choose to sell it later, and if they do choose to abandon it, it's only 3.5 weeks of stipend, not millions of L$. 😉

• Like 5

Just now, BJoyful said:

Perhaps some people don't know that any Premium Member can purchase a piece of Abandoned Mainland for L$1/m2 by filing a Support ticket and asking to purchase the land (take a SLurl or an LM).   The initial investment is $1,024 if you wish to buy 1,024 m2, which is equivalent to just under 3.5 weeks of Premium stipend, and live there rent free and tier free as long as they wish to remain Premium.

There are many Mainland parcels which can be purchased for even less than L$1 per square metre from Private sales.  Even though these parcels may not be as nice as Bellisseria, many are very nice and can be as nice as a parcel owner makes them, or alternatively put a beautiful skybox above the land. 

If a property owner does a nice job of decorating the land, they could also earn a profit if they choose to sell it later, and if they do choose to abandon it, it's only 3.5 weeks of stipend, not millions of L$. 😉

Then again, extra cost, and time, that noone really needs to pay.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.