PrudenceAnton

How to get a Linden Home using Auto Refresh Plus

I'm glad they came out and said something. I didn't even think about the strain on the Linden servers until another resident pointed that out in one of the complaining threads.  I want a house much as the next gal, but I felt like using a ton of third party addons to continuously refresh the pages to be a bit much.

Honestly, I feel like they could have released teasers up until the actual launch to get us hyped and possibly gauge demand. By actual launch, I mean releasing enough for everyone who wants one - or at least a very large amount in waves that come out on an actual schedule.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, TahitiJo said:

Great.  Level the playing field a little.  About time.

Eh, maybe. Chrome and Autorefresh aren't exactly hard to get? You could perhaps even the field by evicting alts for the time being, though? But I'm too libertarian to actually mean that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CynicismSells said:

Eh, maybe. Chrome and Autorefresh aren't exactly hard to get? You could perhaps even the field by evicting alts for the time being, though? But I'm too libertarian to actually mean that.

You can't evict alts.

Alts are paying members just like mains. Plus, many times you can't even tell who an alt is; different email address, different credit card number etc. Way more trouble than it's worth for them. They have much better thing to do. Policing member activity isn't their job

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

You can't evict alts.

Alts are paying members just like mains. Plus, many times you can't even tell who an alt is; different email address, different credit card number etc. Way more trouble than it's worth for them. They have much better thing to do. Policing member activity isn't their job

It was a joke. 

4 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

You can't evict alts.

Besides, even with the same email address, credit card number, etc, how do you determine who the alt is, and who the main? 😜

• Like 2

In all honesty, I can't say I'm all that surprised by this move.

Will this level the playing field? Probably a bit. As LittleMe pointed out before, the release rate will remain ca. 15-25 homes, 3x a week; but without automation, aka, ppl trying automagically all day, there's a good chance more ppl will be able to get one.

Nevertheless, I want to thank @PrudenceAnton for her wonderful initiative of explaining the process! It it was a very kind gesture towards the community, even though the effects thereof may have been cut short prematurely because 'circumstances.'

• Like 8

21 hours ago, PrudenceAnton said:

There are many posts on the forums of people feeling frustrated because they have had no luck claiming a new Linden home. I do understand this frustration, I spent an entire month trying for one with no luck, not even a single hit. Never saw one Bellisseria home pop up on my page.  Then I tried the Chrome Auto Refresh Plus with the target text word. Can this work? Yes, I do believe so.  I have been able to acquire 4 homes in 8 days time using this, while trying for a houseboat for my husband's premium account.  We released the unwanted houses back into the pool shortly after claiming them, since they were not a Houseboat.  Sometimes I click so fast I am not even looking at what is offered on the page then realize it was an Traditional home and we end up letting it go.

You don't have to spend 24/7 monitoring the refresh page either. I probably only spend about 2-3 hours per day using the Auto Refresh and actually have my eye directly on the page for less than 30 minutes, I found earlier mornings and evenings, weekends the best time. Its more of a matter of being quick on the move when you hear the chime and clicking and check marking the buttons/boxes as quickly as you can. But it is possible to grab a home.  I have had zero luck thus far with the single region releases, but good luck with Abandoned homes and all 4 have been in nice locations.  I want to share this information out there for those that are unaware of this feature or for those using it, to ensure that yes, even you can get a home.

If you miss a chance, don't get frustrated or angry. Take a deep breath, relax your emotions and try again.  Being clear headed and calm, increases your chances of being focused and hitting those buttons in a timely manner.  Aka, laughter is the best medicine.

PS:  Squealing with excitement is permitted when you nail down your home!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reposted from an earlier post a week ago.

Going to post this here from a notecard that was sent out last night in one of the Bellisseria groups. Perhaps it'll help some.

How to get a Linden Home using Auto Refresh Plus

Instructions for how to use Auto Refresh Plus to get a new Linden Home.

To start, you will need to use the Google Chrome web browser.
If you do not have it, you can find it here: https://www.google.com/chrome/

Once you have Google Chrome installed, install the Auto Refresh Plugin found here:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/auto-refresh-plus/ohfjpkccecpdfkpmfocndhepolhljfhg?hl=en

Once installed, go to your Linden Home sign-up page located here: https://land.secondlife.com/en-US/lindenhomes/land-selection.php

Name your parcel: You can enter your name at the bottom of the page and select Next. You can then hit the back button on your browser and the name will be saved. This will save you time later when you go to claim a house.

There will be a small blue box icon on the top right of the browser. Click that icon.

Click the gear icon on the menu that pops up. That will take you to the options page.

Check the box to Enable Random Interval.

Under the section that says Page Monitor, Check the box that says Enable This Feature.

In the box for Default Target Text, enter Bellisseria

Under Play Sound, you can choose to have it play a sound, and there is a volume slider.
Below that is an option for sound length.

Click the Save button.

Go to your Linden Home sign-up page located here: https://land.secondlife.com/en-US/lindenhomes/land-selection.php

There will be a small blue box icon on the top right of the browser. Click that icon.

Check the Random Interval button, and enter a Min of 2 Seconds and a Max of 5 seconds.

Click the Use Default button under the Page Monitor section.

Hit the Start button.

The page will refresh until the word Bellisseria is found. 

Click Next, then click the check box to agree on the next page. Press the Accept button. If you have been lucky, you will then have a new home.

If the home is not available, do not worry. There are many people trying this all the time, and you may miss a few houses before grabbing one. Everyone will get a chance at a home.

I hope this helps, and welcome you to the community. Feel free to ask in the Bellisseria Community group for advice if you have trouble.

(Some prefer the Mozilla Firefox browser and Auto Refresh. I have not used this.)

Note: This is not a guarantee, just some helpful tips that have worked for many others.

is the auto chrome something you have to purchase or am I looking at something different?

1 hour ago, Rae Hazelnut said:

is the auto chrome something you have to purchase or am I looking at something different?

Edited by PrudenceAnton
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kiramanell said:

but without automation, aka, ppl trying automagically all day, there's a good chance more ppl will be able to get one.

im sorry, but this statement is funny.  How will "more ppl will be able to get one" by not allowing the auto refresh?  I mean people who want them now, whether using auto refresh or not, are still........people who 'want' them and people who are getting them.  Stopping the auto refresh will by no means increase any chances of people getting one.  You know what i mean?  It's not like there's a few people out there using auto refresh and hoarding homes LOL

Edited by Sean Azambuja
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Sean Azambuja said:

im sorry, but this statement is funny.  How will "more ppl will be able to get one" by not allowing the auto refresh?  I mean people who want them now, whether using auto refresh or not, are still........people who 'want' them and people who are getting them.  Stopping the auto refresh will by no means increase any chances of people getting one.  You know what i mean?  It's not like there's a few people out there using auto refresh and hoarding homes LOL

Like I said, the release rate of homes will remain the same, of course. But, as is so often the case, simple Economics at play here. :) The higher the 'price' ppl have to pay to get one (in this case: having to sink substantially more labor into the whole process now , instead of relying on automation), the less ppl will be willing to do it. Simply put: with less ppl constantly pegging the servers, endlessly, and things (hopefully) normalizing to where ppl will just check for homes periodically (and manually), yes, I stand by my earlier statement, that I feel, this way, "there's a good chance more ppl will be able to get one."

Edited by kiramanell
And if only I could type properly
  • Like 4

I don't understand. The same number of people are getting homes no matter which way you slice it.

If 20 homes are released then 20 people are getting homes, period. Banning Autorefresh doesn't make more homes become available. There are always 20 homes and there are always 20 people getting them. Maybe chances have increased for people who didn't want to use Autorefresh. But banning Autorefresh will not make 30 people get homes where there are only 20 homes to give. More people are not getting homes. Possibly different people, but not more.

I have no great attachment to using Autorefresh or not as I already have a home and don't intend to trade up any time soon. But the ban on it is because of server strain, not to help or hinder certain groups from getting a home.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Besides, even with the same email address, credit card number, etc, how do you determine who the alt is, and who the main? 😜

I AM the alt! (Actually true, no kidding!) 😂

As for the official decision, I don't really mind either way. I do in a sense consider running Auto Refresh programs a slight advantage (and a benefit to those of us with old fingers!) but then it was/is a free program that pretty much anyone could download and install. I can see the advantages to less server strain without, but as for actually helping to level the playing field? I don't really think it's going to make that great an impact.

There are still those who religiously and manually click away right now and don't do anything else. There are still those who are just inherently quicker to click the boxes. There are those who have no work constraints and are available to be online manually clicking while others cannot. And then there is simply just dumb luck. These are facets that cannot be changed by an Auto Refresh program, and are still there whether you run it or not. Well, not now but... you get the point.

• Like 2

something to think about ... finally a stop on this thing

b0bc166483aaa008d3e78e3ed6ada4f9.png

Edited by Alwin Alcott

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

something to think about ... finally a stop on this thing

b0bc166483aaa008d3e78e3ed6ada4f9.png

What about redirecting the auto refreshers to the sansar login page instead? ^^

• Haha 3

I want to note here that Patch Linden did not state that using Auto Refresh was banned. If he said that in his post, please point this out to me. He did state it causes a strain on the servers when many people are running these types of programs.  

Those that use them need to be considerate of this fact and lower the time rate down so the page does not refresh as often.  People can still manually mash the page as quick as the 1 second Auto Refresh, its merely more tiring and thank goodness, fingers will tire out and give the server a break.

Patch also said that due to those using Auto Refresh, they will now get time out messages (error page) to slow down the strain on their servers and this is a good thing. Linden Labs will protect their equipment at any cost from an overload.

It would be nice if there was a way to stop the Auto Refresh from engaging when a region release is pending and everyone had to manually click on that page, but as far as I know, this is not the case yet.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PrudenceAnton said:

It would be nice if there was a way to stop the Auto Refresh from engaging when a region release is pending

the ones that don't do it manually but put on their auto will block themselves out of a chance when the system puts them on a time out.

• Like 3

That was strange now... I had autorefresh running, but left my computer for quite a while. After half an hour i came back to see that the addon got triggered and the refresh stopped.
I didnt hurry to open the menu to select Bellisseria, because i thought there would be no way to get it after i was away for such a long time.
But it did work, surprisingly. Still got that traditional house at Belli.

Wonder how that new thingy will work out.

If there is no more autorefreshing how on earth ARE you going to get a parcel at all?

Manually refreshing is allowed? As quickly as you can? Or just once in 5 Minutes? or in 10??

Only @Patch Linden could give us answer to that I guess.

My guess is that they are limiting how often you can refresh the page. Whether you are clicking fast, or using something to auto refresh, it will limit how often it will accept requests from you and therefore how often the page will load. It slows everyone down equally by not having to process each request for the page, for each user each second. His write up implies that its from the auto-refresh but I am not sure they could tell one vs the other. Perhaps.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sehra Kauffman said:

I don't understand. The same number of people are getting homes no matter which way you slice it.

If 20 homes are released then 20 people are getting homes, period. Banning Autorefresh doesn't make more homes become available.

I don't understand why you don't understand. :) Let's take both extremes of the situation, and first assume a 1,000 ppl per second are trying to get a home, using auto-refresh. For an arbitrary person passing by, trying to lock a home in for themselves, their chances are pretty small. Now assume no one were trying at all (remember, this is just a hypothetical). With nobody else trying to get a home, your chances of getting a place would now have gone up to a full 100%.

There are simply 2 factors at play here: the number of homes available per week (a constant), and the amount of ppl trying to grab one. What I think this 'throttle' control hopes to accomplish, is that less ppl will be trying, as the 'cost' of doing so is higher (it's one thing to automate the process, and wait until one is available; it's quite another to sit next to your computer, having to press F5 all day). It's really like trying to win the lottery: with 1 million ppl playing, your chances are 1:1,000,000; with only 10 participants, your odds are suddenly 1:10.

And, indeed, as @PrudenceAnton said, auto-refresh isn't outright verboten now. Way I understood it, they will simply put some rate/throttle control in place. How effective this measure will be in discouraging ppl from use auto-refresh tools, remains yet to be seen, of course. But, at the very least, it's guaranteed to have less ppl try per second than before (as simply less HTTP requests will get thru per time unit).

Overall, I think it's fair to say they're trying to mitigate the effects of the (almost insane and) constant rush on these homes. Like, as I just read, putting Easter-egg kinda elfs in Elderglen now. :) (Hoping, no doubt, ppl will be a bit more interested in the old regions now).

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Only @Patch Linden could give us answer to that I guess.

You can refresh the page as many times as your little distal phalanges can hit the key. 

The problem is that LL has had probably 100's of people hitting the Linden Homes page 24/7 thousands of times a minute. 

Do you know what that is? That's a DDoS attack, although in this case it isn't malicious and certainly not to the extend of the truly damaging DDoS attacks that have crippled other websites. It is, however, stating to affect the site. LL had to take steps to stop it. 

Anyone promoting such an action probably won't get in trouble with LL... but that isn't a certainty. If it ends up taking the site down, someone is going to answer for that. 

I wouldn't want that person to be me. 

• Like 5

"What I think this 'throttle' control hopes to accomplish, is that less ppl will be trying, "....

I don't think this change has anything to do at all with getting or not getting homes, or trying to in anyway limit the number of people trying to get homes.  I can almost guarantee this came from the infrastructure team, saying "what the heck is with all the constant traffic on this page, it's killing the web server processing all these requests". We are going to throttle all incoming traffic to 1 request per X seconds. No different really from what they did in world to limit how often a region would accept a request for the teleport when TP Hammers were killing event regions with 1000's of requests per second.

At the end of the day, the traffic to the web server is traffic, no matter how it is initiated. They cant prevent someone from using an auto-refresh tool. And this wont stop you from doing it. It just means that even if you set the refresh rate to 2 seconds the web server will only respond to your request once every X seconds, maybe that number is 4 or 5 or 10 who knows.

• Like 3