Sign in to follow this  
cuppycake91

Vacation RP

So I am bored but I love detailed RP.

I wanna start something new....

I have seen some of those Vacation RP places and some offer just a catered dinner or a honeymoon hotel service but I want something more!

I want to offer a full vacation RP experience on a mega yacht that will sail on the water and maybe make a few stops along the way.

My idea is that people can pay a charter fee to rent the vacation for different prices with different levels of device. 

The lowest end might be a stewardess attending to all the quests needs in a realistic fashion and at the highest a multi night trip through te Blake sea with stops to notable locations. 

The thing is that RP in SL is slow and I don't want to invest in this if no one cares for such a thing.

Thoughts? 

• Like 2

I love the concept. I love detailed RP too. I just have a few questions;

* How long would a typical holiday last? 

* Is there a minimum period, meaning, is time linear for all/an ongoing story line?

* How do you plan to cater for people coming and going/story crossovers?

* Is time set in the modern-day?

* How many guests do you cater for at one time?

* How many people overall, staff included, does this mega yacht cater for?

* How will you accommodate for lag/region crossings when sailing? 

* Will RP happen en route or during stopovers/when dry-docked, or both?

* What maturity rating will you apply?

* What lore/backstory would this have?

* Who is "the boss" and who "owns the company/yacht"; private funded or corporation?

* What is your policy on crime, including but not restricted to; drug use, nudity, sexual acts, hijacking, mutiny, kidnap, human trafficking, high-seas piracy, and more?

* Are families or children allowed and catered for?

* What restrictions do you have for prim/sculpted/animesh babies/children and pets?

* How many staff do you need at minimum? Will they be paid as employees or RP only? Would there be a roster for regular work hours?

That's more than I initially thought but... well it's food for thought if nothing else.

I haven't been engaged in RP for a while now but the premise sounds promising. Not sure how times would align, and I'm almost certain too many region crossings would result in crashes which would make RP a painful experience. But I do applaud your creativity in thinking outside the box. Look forward to seeing where you go with this! :) 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

I love the concept. I love detailed RP too. I just have a few questions;

* How long would a typical holiday last? 

* Is there a minimum period, meaning, is time linear for all/an ongoing story line?

* How do you plan to cater for people coming and going/story crossovers?

* Is time set in the modern-day?

* How many guests do you cater for at one time?

* How many people overall, staff included, does this mega yacht cater for?

* How will you accommodate for lag/region crossings when sailing? 

* Will RP happen en route or during stopovers/when dry-docked, or both?

* What maturity rating will you apply?

* What lore/backstory would this have?

* Who is "the boss" and who "owns the company/yacht"; private funded or corporation?

* What is your policy on crime, including but not restricted to; drug use, nudity, sexual acts, hijacking, mutiny, kidnap, human trafficking, high-seas piracy, and more?

* Are families or children allowed and catered for?

* What restrictions do you have for prim/sculpted/animesh babies/children and pets?

* How many staff do you need at minimum? Will they be paid as employees or RP only? Would there be a roster for regular work hours?

That's more than I initially thought but... well it's food for thought if nothing else.

I haven't been engaged in RP for a while now but the premise sounds promising. Not sure how times would align, and I'm almost certain too many region crossings would result in crashes which would make RP a painful experience. But I do applaud your creativity in thinking outside the box. Look forward to seeing where you go with this! :) 

So many great questions; that's a really helpful thought-starter.  I was also wondering about the maturity rating and how that might affect the locale of the RP.

Also the idea that there is a lot to regulate in RP but also a lot to relegate-to-RP in RP i.e. the idea of crime and piracy, is that something simply handled by roleplaying it out, come what may, or will there be imposed restrictions on the nature of offences for fantasy's sake that would confine it to the realm of fantasy without inducing trauma, etc...   (overthinking, I know, but it's important to at least spare a moment...) 

Rules versus Liberties is always the great tension in RP; finding like-minded partners is the key.  The idea sounds great to me, though. More vacations!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Clarrellae said:

So many great questions; that's a really helpful thought-starter.  I was also wondering about the maturity rating and how that might affect the locale of the RP.

Also the idea that there is a lot to regulate in RP but also a lot to relegate-to-RP in RP i.e. the idea of crime and piracy, is that something simply handled by roleplaying it out, come what may, or will there be imposed restrictions on the nature of offences for fantasy's sake that would confine it to the realm of fantasy without inducing trauma, etc...   (overthinking, I know, but it's important to at least spare a moment...) 

Rules versus Liberties is always the great tension in RP; finding like-minded partners is the key.  The idea sounds great to me, though. More vacations!

Thanks! I've always been accused of over-thinking, but sometimes it actually comes in handy. After creating and managing a few sims I have some familiarity with certain types of role players that like to test boundaries as soon as they land. And if there are no boundaries for them to test they will start to run riot, turning a casual RP scenario into a Mafia-style combat story complete with dead NPCs, hitmen, and omnipotent Godfather types. Things can get very messy very quickly, which is why it is important to have at least something written up and available before people begin to show up. Take it from me, one hundred and one questions will kill immersion faster than the ridiculous backstories will.

If I sound sarcastic and jaded it's because I am. To the OP; do your best to predict where others could possibly cause you trouble BEFORE you go public. There's a delicate line to tread between being prepared and being intolerably strict, and it's something you'd have to feel your way through as you go along. But if you're a seasoned role player none of this will be news to you. Find a few core players and build from there if you can, but don't rely too heavily on others to get you through. If they go, your hard work goes too. And if you haven't already, try and drum up some interest in Searching Role Play groups (which I'm sure again you're likely familiar with). Get the basics done on your idea FIRST, that way as you talk to others about it, they don't start to sway you from your vision and you end up running a battle ship instead of a vacation yacht. 

Also one thing I forgot to ask but is likely self-evident by the statement "love detailed RP"; would this be loose RP with allowances for OOC or strict IC/RP? This is important to clarify too or you may end up where no writer wants to be; hanging out with friends and getting minimal if any RP. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 8:21 PM, cuppycake91 said:

I want to offer a full vacation RP experience on a mega yacht that will sail on the water and maybe make a few stops along the way.

Thank you for your idea RaeLeeH!  We actually have a RL role play experience that would be fun to mimic in SL:

image.png.a00e631a6c5ddf6006e5b96630e4c2b8.pngimage.png.21e3d61bede53321d36f9ee527340328.pngimage.png.6547a80e170446b3838aa33d480c84a2.png

Tough to decide whether it would be more fun to play, Gopher, Captain Stubbing, Doc, or Isaac😊

• Haha 1

It sounds as if a vehicle with living accommodations for any significant amount of people may be 'a little' laggy to sail around in, especially if the people onboard are all wearing the usual scripts that come with a regular avatar. It might be easier to just have a static ship.

• Like 2

There are/were already rp cruise ship vacations. A few friends of mine did it before. However that was last year, not sure if the companies are still around. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jameson2001 said:

Thank you for your idea RaeLeeH!  We actually have a RL role play experience that would be fun to mimic in SL:

image.png.a00e631a6c5ddf6006e5b96630e4c2b8.pngimage.png.21e3d61bede53321d36f9ee527340328.pngimage.png.6547a80e170446b3838aa33d480c84a2.png

Tough to decide whether it would be more fun to play, Gopher, Captain Stubbing, Doc, or Isaac😊

You know I was actually on the boat that they filmed part of the Love Boat on (The Sea Princess from the Princess Cruises line) at the start of this year, and I can tell you... the fantasy won't ever come close to the reality. But I applaud anyone who has the attention to detail to try.

Also it wasn't my idea. I'm just the one asking questions.

6 hours ago, Orwar said:

It sounds as if a vehicle with living accommodations for any significant amount of people may be 'a little' laggy to sail around in, especially if the people onboard are all wearing the usual scripts that come with a regular avatar. It might be easier to just have a static ship.

^ Very much agree with this. And if you need the illusion of movement you can simulate it with prims that "play" or move a texture against the windows/as a skybox environment, if the plan is to keep it small. And even if not you COULD have a skybox set up, or a variety of them, for various locations that you create. Think of them like film or studio sets! It's very easily done, and would save you having to be even on the water if the ideal land was hard to come by.

• Like 2

I went someplace that had its landing area in an airplane module with a shaderbox outside with a simulated moving sky. Oh and a tram doing the same for another. I think my favourite was a horse-drawn carriage though, also in a shaderbox. I never looked into those myself, but it felt like a much more fun way to arrive at a new sim than plonking down outside some random building - especially the train had a bunch of info about the sim (which was some sort of RP sim) that you could read in peace and quiet there before hopping into the sim itself.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I went someplace that had its landing area in an airplane module with a shaderbox outside with a simulated moving sky. Oh and a tram doing the same for another. I think my favourite was a horse-drawn carriage though, also in a shaderbox. I never looked into those myself, but it felt like a much more fun way to arrive at a new sim than plonking down outside some random building - especially the train had a bunch of info about the sim (which was some sort of RP sim) that you could read in peace and quiet there before hopping into the sim itself.

There's a RP/photography parcel called Midnight Glory that has an underground subway with this same premise; you arrive on the street, you walk down to the subway, you TP to the carriage, and inside looking out it appears to be moving. I managed to replicate this very easily for a friend in his skybox, and extend that to a sky that appeared to move outside a plane skybox he had created. It's very easy to do. It's a wonder more don't utilize it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2