Ted McGregor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1730 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok .. upgraded my av with all sorts and now .. it has a high complexity of about .. *gulp* .. over 200K. I noticed others have way less ( a very few have more).

My PC renders it without issues though. Am I causing rendering issues to others therefore ? Can I be banned reasonably because of just that ?
Thanks for answering.

P.S. Please KISS it to me :|

• Like 1

Hello! You many cause rendering issues to others, but you may also not be rendered at all depending on other user’s settings. I have mine set to ‘jellydoll’ anyone with a complexity over 200K. I have never seen sim rules listing complexity limits, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Usually script usage is the issue.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

My PC renders it without issues though. Am I causing rendering issues to others therefore ? Can I be banned reasonably because of just that ?
Thanks for answering

Some places do operate bans based on avatar complexity or have rules that you can't be more than a certain complexity. it shouldn't be a problem most people will either have a complexity limit that renders you as a jelly doll (mine is 80k) or may set their viewer if it has the option to "Show friends Only" so you won't be rendered at all 

• Thanks 1

I typically keep my complexity around 70k. A couple of weeks ago I was auto ejected for having too high a complexity and my complexity that day was just under 60k. Personally, anyone with over 120k complexity is a jellydoll to me unless they are on my friend's list. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Thanks 1

Well .. being jellydolled is a good free choice I guess for those with limited PC specs.

Unfortunately my av is loaded with scripts for all sorts which cannot be removed.

/me shrugs.

Thank you all for your answers.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

I typically keep my complexity around 70k. A couple of weeks ago I was auto ejected for having too high a complexity and my complexity that day was just under 60k. Personally, anyone with over 120k complexity is a jellydoll to me unless they are on my friend's list. 

Wow, auto-ejecting for a 60k complexity is very extreme. Was it a shopping event? I do now recall that some events impose a limit.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

I do now recall that some events impose a limit.

Right. So I basically need to create a low complexity AV as well .. just in case ... 

Damn .. another shopping spree ahead ... or only wear a base alpha suit. 😕

Edited by TDD123
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, TDD123 said:

Right. So I basically need to create a low complexity AV as well .. just in case ... 

Damn .. another shopping spree ahead ... 😕

Another option for events is to remove everything and alpha out your system av so you go invisible with a floating name tag. Cheaper!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

Wow, auto-ejecting for a 60k complexity is very extreme. Was it a shopping event? I do now recall that some events impose a limit.

It was a shopping event. I can't remember which one now. But the limit was 50k .. might have been Belle ... but I really am not sure ... I go to so many of them.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

Well .. being jellydolled is a good free choice I guess for those with limited PC specs.

I actually have a pretty good machine, but I run all the shaders .. all the shadows and ambient occlusion. I'd rather spend my resources rendering those things than avatars with complexity levels above 120k. It's just my personal preference. I love my shadows and ambient occlusion. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

I don't notice FPS drops ( in my own home alone it's over 100 FPS easilly ) nor high usage of either CPU or GPU.

You're not likely to see any performance issues when you are at home alone. But go to a busy event with lots of avatars with 200k complexity and watch your fps take a nosedive.

1 hour ago, TDD123 said:

Thanks for answering.

You will always render your own avatar fully, regardless of how high your complexity setting and avatar complexity is. I wouldn't say that people having a limit below 200K has to do with them just having a low-spec PC; I run at up to 160 FPS at home with full photography settings - there are clubs where it tanks down to 4-6 FPS due to how poorly optimised many places and avatars are.

The way I see it, why should I let anyone contribute to the rendering issues when I'm out shopping or listening to music? My getup for shopping and events is 25K complexity and near to no scripts - if others won't be considerate of the people around them, I don't really care to see what their avatars look like.

There's some talk about how the Avatar Complexity is arbitrarily generated, I'm not tech-savvy enough to comment on that. But when you've got people whose complexity is >200K and 150+ scripts running, it's obvious that they haven't taken others' performance into consideration - whether it's through ignorance (how anyone could possibly be unaware of their complexity and script time usage by now is beyond me, though) or if they're simply so narcissistic as to not care.

• Like 3

And this is why we have LAAAAAAG at big events LOL.   I went over to the Vanity Event the other day (anniversary with gifts so very busy) and immediately derendered everyone in my viewing range. That got my FPS up to 57, but it did NOT stop the lag. Rubber-banding was evident. Walking like in molasses. 

I typically set my jellydolls at 50 and then render folks I am talking to fully.  While I don't check often my  complexity is usually under 50K. And a quick check just now in a typical around home outfit (even with shoes which I frequently leave off for comfort) was indeed under 50K.  

This may be because I am often wearing items from the folks I blog and I blog those folks in part BECAUSE they make pretty things that are still very low in complexity --- :SwingingFriends:

Kudos once again to the designers that pay attention. 

So a good point === check that complexity when you are demoing for LOOK and FIT. Only takes a few seconds and a couple of clicks.

image.thumb.png.761e3b5ad780510783726acf17fabdb0.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Regarding complexity settings, my personal complexity rarely tops 100k (normally 50-60k range) unless I am busting out some very old jewelry, but I love avatar watching and would miss out on a lot with a 50-75k complexity setting. When I am at crowded events on a shopping mission I show friends only, but otherwise apparently keep a fairly high setting. I also love to perv profiles. I am interested in how other people express themselves, performance be damned!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Back to my high complexity .. so I suppose that will be only for 'home use'.

My hermit within will forfeit contact or events like it always has. And now there are actually .... reasons. Well, this one is at least actual.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1730 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.