Color faces in blender (not UV map)

Marianne Little

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1752 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am working on my first real mesh, not collada saved from Second Life.

This is going to be the base for a platform with one corner cut off. It is 1 mesh and I made the different parts by using Loop Cuts and Extrude Faces Along Normals.

I will texture it in SL and not use UV maps. I need different color on the different faces. The top will be the wood deck, the middle panel siden and the other parts white wood.

If I understand it correctly, if I get some colors on this mesh, I can texture the different parts in SL.

But I am stuck here. I can't get the color over on the faces, no matter what I do. I use Blender 2.8, but I have 2.79 too, if you can suggest something for that version.

Color faces.jpg

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I am working on my first real mesh, not collada saved from Second Life.

This is going to be the base for a platform with one corner cut off. It is 1 mesh and I made the different parts by using Loop Cuts and Extrude Faces Along Normals.

I will texture it in SL and not use UV maps. I need different color on the different faces. The top will be the wood deck, the middle panel siden and the other parts white wood.

You HAVE to have a UV map on mesh in order for ANY texture to work -- even a tiling texture that you apply in SL. You must map it. It doesn't have to be as precise a map as in placement, but it must be mapped for the texture to show up.  Maybe you are confusing what a UV map does and what a baked texture does.  You will need to define a  MATERIAL for each of the different areas you have  so wood deck, middle panel etc.

If I understand it correctly, if I get some colors on this mesh, I can texture the different parts in SL.

NO.

But I am stuck here. I can't get the color over on the faces, no matter what I do. I use Blender 2.8, but I have 2.79 too, if you can suggest something for that version.

You know where my tutorials are :D. You will need to use 2.79.

Congrats on BUILDING. A few more steps to go

• Like 2

Ah. Well then, mapping it is. I thought that was the same as the multitextured objects where you can't change a texture without the whole object being textured.

Back to the work. Thank God I learnt to stop and save during the process. The Loop Cuts I removed from the SL Collada walls, what an experience.

4 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Ah. Well then, mapping it is. I thought that was the same as the multitextured objects where you can't change a texture without the whole object being textured.

Back to the work. Thank God I learnt to stop and save during the process. The Loop Cuts I removed from the SL Collada walls, what an experience.

To different things but related to each other and both necessary.

If you watch the first tutorial you will see what happens when you don't map. I frequently (in my long RL teaching career) do things incorrectly to make a point that sticks with the students.  That doesn't count the time that I was teaching sewing and stitched the top of the sleeve to the NECKHOLE.  I asked the students to please let me know when I am doing something really wrong --- the next time LOL.  

7 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

To different things but related to each other and both necessary.

If you watch the first tutorial you will see what happens when you don't map. I frequently (in my long RL teaching career) do things incorrectly to make a point that sticks with the students.  That doesn't count the time that I was teaching sewing and stitched the top of the sleeve to the NECKHOLE.  I asked the students to please let me know when I am doing something really wrong --- the next time LOL.  

I hope I can follow it in 2.8. Learning two Blender versions the same time is way over my head. Since I start now, I will work in  2.8. It feels better, like I have hope to make something. That platform from one cube makes me a bit proud. Now, corner posts.

What is the best workflow: Stop now, finish the platform with the railing, then map it and color the parts? .

Edited by Marianne Little

Just now, Marianne Little said:

I hope I can follow it in 2.8. Learning two Blender versions the same time is way over my head. I Since I start now, I will learn 2.8. It feels better, like I have hope to make something. That platform from one cube makes me a bit proud. Now, corner posts.

What is the best workflow: Stop now, finish the platform with the railing, then map it and color the parts? .

Interface (I hear) is very different. The IDEA is the same but don't count on following my clicks and quick keys -- just a warning. And good luck!!!!

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

But I am stuck here. I can't get the color over on the faces, no matter what I do. I use Blender 2.8, but I have 2.79 too, if you can suggest something for that version

I expect you have solved this little problem by now but just in case you haven't:

After Assigning each Material (colour) to the relevant face (select faces, then select the relevant Material in list of Materials and hit the Assign button) you will need to switch to the Look Dev mode to see the coloured faces on your mesh.

521087990_LookDevmode.thumb.png.cd1ecbdee6fe11119b7ee0ce8e8295cb.png

When making screen shots doçn't be afraid to increase the Display Resolution so that  we can easier see what you have going on  :)

Edit > Preferences > Interface > Display

462520592_Displayresolution.thumb.png.47e6d7b3ed21b7c33df3ae3402b2be43.png

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

What is the best workflow: Stop now, finish the platform with the railing, then map it and color the parts

For the railings create one railing, mark seams and UV unwrap that first railing. Then when you make copies by whatever method those copies will have seams and they will be already UV unwrapped for you.

The UV's of the copies you will find stacked one above the other in the UV editor. You can leave them stacked or if you need some variation select the railing UV islands one by one and move them about the UV space.

and yes best to stick with 2.80 now.

Edited by Aquila Kytori

I don't know what I have done, but I have done something. I am never going to do it again.... 😉 Eh. I think this is totally crazy work. You have to be a machine to do this for a living.

I am too tired to do more. But tomorrow, I will try to do something with the railing. It is too flat colored in a bright windlight like Nams. This is when I open the UV map and do something?

Tomorrow. But, it does not look so bad? How do I know if it is good mesh? 90 m distance, the platform is visible, but the railing has gone. LOD 2.

I have to be 50 m close to see it clearly. I can try a higher upload. Is 50 m outdoors distance average? The longest sides is 6 M.

But still, I don't think it was too bad as the first try. But goddamn... what a job it was. I am most pleased that the posts is a single cube each. I haven't piled up cubes on top of each other. They look much better in Blender... I liked the shape I made, just by trial and error.

platform_002.jpg

platform_003.jpg

materials tab.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

You did great! The breakdown is a thing you sort of have to balance - If you want that railing to be visible from farther away, you need to bump up the LOD settings on the upload - which will raise your LI.  When you upload, keep checking the previews when you adjust, and don't give up! :)

24 minutes ago, Saiyge Lotus said:

You did great! The breakdown is a thing you sort of have to balance - If you want that railing to be visible from farther away, you need to bump up the LOD settings on the upload - which will raise your LI.  When you upload, keep checking the previews when you adjust, and don't give up! :)

Maybe I shall redo it and upload the railing with higher LOD, and the base with lower. I never understood Blender, but it is different woth 2.8. It is still hard, but not impossible like it was with 2.79.

Thats not a bad idea.  I get what you mean about the different versions, I have done work in both of them but tend to revert to 2.79 instead - Because changing my workflow when I'm trying to just get something finished .... makes for tears.
So. Many. Tears.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1752 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.