Premium Membership

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone! After years of being on second life, I am looking at becoming a premium member. I had a few questions about the land that is given to us. 

First let me ask about the land that is not mainland. They give us a house and so many prims and that is it. From my understanding the site says 512sqm and like 117 prims. I am now seeing where premiums are getting 1024sqm and like 175 prims. Is this accurate? Also, are we allowed to demo the house and place something we have that has less Land impact so we can get more prims? Or is the amount of prims we get regardless of the house?

Second, I also saw on the webpage that we can upgrade our land to mainland plots and they waive the fee...since nothing is free, do I have to pay weekly/monthly for this land? Can I place my own house on it and how many prims are we allotted? I could not find any answers to these questions.

Finally, can I put either of those 2 options on the search page if I decide to convert my linden home into a store?

Thank you guys so much in advance!

6 minutes ago, hidden Loon said:

Hello everyone! After years of being on second life, I am looking at becoming a premium member. I had a few questions about the land that is given to us. 

First let me ask about the land that is not mainland. They give us a house and so many prims and that is it. From my understanding the site says 512sqm and like 117 prims. I am now seeing where premiums are getting 1024sqm and like 175 prims. Is this accurate? Also, are we allowed to demo the house and place something we have that has less Land impact so we can get more prims? Or is the amount of prims we get regardless of the house?

Second, I also saw on the webpage that we can upgrade our land to mainland plots and they waive the fee...since nothing is free, do I have to pay weekly/monthly for this land? Can I place my own house on it and how many prims are we allotted? I could not find any answers to these questions.

Finally, can I put either of those 2 options on the search page if I decide to convert my linden home into a store?

Thank you guys so much in advance!

If you are talking about the Linden Homes, then the older ones are on 512 plots and you get 175 LI - the house does not count in that 175.

As to the new ones, there are currently none available other than anything that gets abandoned - maybe a few a day.  They are however releasing a region of new ones each Mon, Wed, and Fri - excluding holidays and if issues come up.  Those homes are on 1024 sqm plots and have 351 LI.  They will also have a new set of homes coming in a month or two.  Those will be Campers and Trailers and will initially come on 512 plots with 175 LI available.

You can also use your 1024 of tier to apply to a Mainland plot that you have to first BUY.   If you get no more than 1024, then you don't have to pay any additional monthly fees.  You can place whatever you want on the mainland plot.  The LI depends on the plot size that you get -- 351 LI for a 1024 sqm plot.   To find land to buy, you can use the inworld Search function or call up the map and look for the For Sale plots or check the Auction page.  None of that is directly available via your web page.

Side note ---  LI is always based on the size of the plot --- 175 for 512 sqm, 351 for 1024 sqm, etc....  If it is a Linden Home (claimed from your web page), then the home does not count towards that LI.  If it is regular Mainland that you buy, then whatever house you ultimately choose will be part of your LI.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If you are talking about the Linden Homes, then the older ones are on 512 plots and you get 175 LI - the house does not count in that 175.

As to the new ones, there are currently none available other than anything that gets abandoned - maybe a few a day.  They are however releasing a region of new ones each Mon, Wed, and Fri - excluding holidays and if issues come up.  Those homes are on 1024 sqm plots and have 351 LI.  They will also have a new set of homes coming in a month or two.  Those will be Campers and Trailers and will initially come on 512 plots with 175 LI available.

You can also use your 1024 of tier to apply to a Mainland plot that you have to first BUY.   If you get no more than 1024, then you don't have to pay any additional monthly fees.

Ok so, then how would I go about getting or "keeping an eye out" for new linden homes?

As for the mainland, the price for the 1024 I have to cover myself but then second life waives the monthly fee thereafter?  Just want to make sure I am reading this correct!

4 minutes ago, hidden Loon said:

Ok so, then how would I go about getting or "keeping an eye out" for new linden homes?

As for the mainland, the price for the 1024 I have to cover myself but then second life waives the monthly fee thereafter?  Just want to make sure I am reading this correct!

2nd question first -- Yes, you have to buy the 1024 Mainland yourself, but as long as it is no more than 1024 then there will be no additional monthly fees.

1st question -- The ones that are trying for the current homes as well as the ones being released a few times each week, they are refreshing that 'Get You Home' page --- the Bellisseria homes will show up there when they are available.  Some are even using auto-refresh browser add-ons to help them in their search.  Others are just sitting back waiting for the Campers & Trailers to be released -- we will get an announcement of some sort when those are ready.  There will also be more new themes being created and released in the future.  Thus some have simply claimed one of the old homes and are making due with a 512 plot until there is more availability in the new Linden Homes.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hidden Loon said:

the price for the 1024 I have to cover myself but then second life waives the monthly fee thereafter?

little addition, hope it doesn't make things confusing:

it's a little construction, but the 1024 mainland is quite easely raised with 10% if you use a group to manage the land ( you and a alt in it, costs one time 100L$)
When you donate the 1024 tier level to the group, you get automaticly 10% bonus on the tier level. (do this before you buy, you need to get the right size of land by buying, the 10% won't be added to a real 1024 sqm parcel)
With this, and a wise chosen house with low Li, you'll hardly have a different Li available to a linden home  (where you can not get that 10%)
Of course you won't have the super great community next to you when going to the normal mainland. (other nuisances like HOA's clubs, bars, breedables exotic extentions to houses and other stuff.. nextdoor you have also at the Linden homes, so that's not really a big difference)

Edited by Alwin Alcott

4 hours ago, hidden Loon said:

No one answered this one so I will. If you get a linden home you CANNOT convert it into a store of any kind, that is against the covenant. 

• Like 3

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

It’s a good thing my public restrooms and fireworks are free, then.

more restricted even... the covenant use the term "residental".
A shop/store = a shop/store ... and  = a non residental activity no matter the price
Otherwise stores like freebee hell could start on a Linden Home without limits.

• Like 2

From a game theory point of view, I'd rather you would not become a Premium Member. Why? As a Premium member, I can squeeze myself into a full sim at a sales event, whereas non-Premium members can not. If everyone becomes a Premium member, this privilege can no longer be sustained and LL will have to cancel it. So, for my own good, I should discourage others from becoming Premium. (Also, it increases my chances of getting a Linden Home faster.)

tumblr_ljq9fxKLER1qza3vro1_500.gif

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

From a game theory point of view, I'd rather you would not become a Premium Member. Why? As a Premium member, I can squeeze myself into a full sim at a sales event, whereas non-Premium members can not. If everyone becomes a Premium member, this privilege can no longer be sustained and LL will have to cancel it. So, for my own good, I should discourage others from becoming Premium. (Also, it increases my chances of getting a Linden Home faster.)

that kinda nailed it :D

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is this true for all Linden homes, or are we focused on Bellisseria?

I'm pretty sure it's all Linden Homes but don't quote me on that lol. It's been a while since I've had an old one

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

tumblr_ljq9fxKLER1qza3vro1_500.gif

I've always considered that one of the most useless perks, I'd rather wait for the region to quiet down rather than wait 20 mins for a demo to rez due to 100 overscripted avis lagging the place to a standstill.

One addition: Though they are extremely expensive (or at least all the ones I have seen are), you can buy plots in a couple of regions that have double prims, so for a 1024 plot you 700 'LI' (Land Impact, the total number of prims you can have) instead of 350.

Personally, I got into Premium because I wanted one of the new houseboats. Unfortunately, in the announcement they did not have a disclaimer that the houseboats and new houses would be essentially unavailable for months due to demand, you had to have kept up with the forum years ago when they released the first batch to know this would happen. But the odds of getting a new Linden Home are low, and will be for a long time.

It worked out well for me, though, as I bought a plot I love and put my own house on it. It took a fair amount of time and money, but in the end I like it far better than where I was renting, and it is cheaper in the end: You get 300 lindens a week stipend, so I don't have to buy as many as I used to (I spend a fair amount in SL, mostly tips at clubs), and the difference between that and what I paid for rent is a net gain. I only paid I think 5000L for my plot, which paid for itself in three months versus rent.

Of course, right after they sucked me (and I am sure others) into Premium with the lure of the new homes, they raised the price of Premium, lol. Then they allowed us to add a year at the old price, which I did, so I don't have to worry about my home for almost two years. If I don't log in for months, I don't have to worry about my rent running out. A second of course, it being LL, there is another gotcha, they are going to make changes to Premium soon. I am glad I went with Premium but to me LL seems to always find a way to deflate anything they do that I find positive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

"hire" is an sich a commercial activity  :)

Whilst a Dj or other performer is engaged in a commercial activity by being hired for a house party, i don't see how the house party itself or the use of the parcel could be considered commercial. One function of homes has always been for occasional parties. If the DJ puts a tip jar out then it is perhaps more of an edge case, but even then I wouldn't see it as a commercial use of the parcel, because the usage at the time is of a residential party.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Whilst a Dj or other performer is engaged in a commercial activity by being hired for a house party, i don't see how the house party itself or the use of the parcel could be considered commercial. One function of homes has always been for occasional parties. If the DJ puts a tip jar out then it is perhaps more of an edge case, but even then I wouldn't see it as a commercial use of the parcel, because the usage at the time is of a residential party.

Maybe just me but for a private party I am throwing and hiring an entertainer for I always make it clear a tip jar is not going out as I don't want my guests feeling obliged to finance the party. Usually it makes the entertainer more costly but then why would you invite guests and expect them to pay

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Maybe just me but for a private party I am throwing and hiring an entertainer for I always make it clear a tip jar is not going out as I don't want my guests feeling obliged to finance the party. Usually it makes the entertainer more costly but then why would you invite guests and expect them to pay

in my experience both DJing and hosting if you don't put a tip jar out, unless it is for charity you get tps anyway. Even if you start returning the payments you get them back when you go offline. It is for many people a matter of good etiquette and manners.

49 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Might want to have a look at this post in regard to tip jars in Bellisseria.

Having read the thread it would seem quite a few don't like tip jars or think they are appropriate. A Bellisserian DJ group has adopted a position of not accepting tips. And that whilst the Lindens were happy to allow tipping at their fairgrounds event having read the thread Patch has now ruled tip jars won't be allowed at the Fairgrounds.

None of that so far as I can see prevents them being used at parties by DJs in their homes. It is interesting and surprising to see responses on the thread, it all seems a bit alien to me... and I for one rarely rezz a tip jar for myself when Djing at the start of a set... but very often end up rezzing one because of of being repeatedly asked to.

I have mixed feelings about it, but I am not inclined to go policing it and trying to explain it at any parties I run there, just go with the the flow for what people want as i normally do.

Edited by Aethelwine

1 minute ago, Aethelwine said:

in my experience both DJing and hosting if you don't put a tip jar out, unless it is for charity you get tps anyway. Even if you start returning the payments you get them back when you go offline. It is for many people a matter of good etiquette and manners.

That is the choice of the tipper, I am merely saying I wont allow a tip jar out at a private party and will expect to pay more. If people still wish to tip the entertainer that is fine and I do not expect the entertainer to return them. I merely won't have a guest guilted by a tip jar or encouragement to tip. I also would never see a need for a host at a private party

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Having read the thread it would seem quite a few don't like tip jars or think they are appropriate. A Bellisserian DJ group has adopted a position of not accepting tips. And that whilst the Lindens were happy to allow tipping at their fairgrounds event having read the thread Patch has now ruled tip jars won't be allowed at the Fairgrounds.

None of that so far as I can see prevents them being used at parties by DJs in their homes. It is interesting and surprising to see responses on the thread, it all seems a bit alien to me... and I for one rarely rezz a tip jar for myself when Djing at the start of a set... but very often end up rezzing one because of of being repeatedly asked to.

I have mixed feelings about it, but I am not inclined to go policing it and trying to explain it at any parties I run there, just go with the the flow for what people want as i normally do.

The issue of tip jars at private residences, for various reasons, was bought up in a thread in the Linden Homes forums.  The piece of the covenant that "implies" that they are not allowed is:

image.png.57d22ff6ab09c852f518d864a2854888.png

Notice the "for profit" part.  If a DJ puts out a tip jar, he/she is requesting and receiving "profits".

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The issue of tip jars at private residences, for various reasons, was bought up in a thread in the Linden Homes forums.  The piece of the covenant that "implies" that they are not allowed is:

image.png.57d22ff6ab09c852f518d864a2854888.png

Notice the "for profit" part.  If a DJ puts out a tip jar, he/she is requesting and receiving "profits".

i just wouldn't read a tip jar as being about profit, any more than tipping a taxi driver or waitress as being about profit. It is a matter of good manners and etiquette. No one has to do it, it is just a nice way to show some appreciation it. I don't see it as commercial or about profit at all.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

That is the choice of the tipper, I am merely saying I wont allow a tip jar out at a private party and will expect to pay more. If people still wish to tip the entertainer that is fine and I do not expect the entertainer to return them. I merely won't have a guest guilted by a tip jar or encouragement to tip. I also would never see a need for a host at a private party

My meaning of host was about the person providing the venue, not someone cheerleading for tips.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.