New Premium Pricing & Mainlanders

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Was the increase in price on premium made to bring it in line with the new Linden housing service? Which is an upgrade compared to before. 

I feel like now the value on premium is lost on those who don't use Linden homes and live on mainland, like myself.

Edited by James Samiam

is all pretty subjective James.  What is value for me, may not be value for you, nor value for another person. We can only weigh up what we get for our money. 

in my case, the most value I get from my Premium is an Experience Key.  I also have an old 512m Linden Home and a mainland 560m parcel owned thru my personal group. While the land is appreciated it's not the thing of value to me.  In your case mainland appears to be the thing of value. I can only point to the doubling of premium tier allowance from 512 to 1024 and the approx. 50% increase in parcel LI on old mainland, given to us prior to the price increase

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, James Samiam said:

Was the increase in price on premium made to bring it in line with the new Linden housing service? Which is an upgrade compared to before. 

I feel like now the value on premium is lost on those who don't use Linden homes and live on mainland, like myself.

The increase was to cover many things.  Over the course of many years, the Premium benefits have increased quite a bit.  Your free tier has gone from 512 sqm to 1024 sqm.  The LI has increased from 117 to 175 per 512, so up to 351 for the 1024 tier that you get.  The number of groups available to Premiums was something like 15 or 20 more than a decade ago and now Premiums get 70 groups.  Premiums get 300L$ stipend per week.  Premiums can get priority in getting into full regions; they get their own set of sandboxes, some other locations that only Premiums can get into, more saved IMs when offline, and possibly more things that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

Also, this is the first increase in Premium price EVER, so some of it could even be due to inflation.

• Like 5

Okay thank you. I just wanted to express my opinion that I don't really feel like the new pricing is worth it for me.

Also being in Australia with the conversion to USD compounds this. The price of annual membership is almost $150.

Edited by James Samiam

1 hour ago, James Samiam said:

Okay thank you. I just wanted to express my opinion that I don't really feel like the new pricing is worth it for me.

Also being in Australia with the conversion to USD compounds this. The price of annual membership is almost $150.

Wow. I didn't realize it was so much difference.  Thanks for posting that for all of us that didn't know. 

Everyone has to decide what works for them. Plenty of folks (the majority) have great SL lives without being premium. I was on a basic account for over 11 years and became premium when the new Linden Homes were unveiled. I don't regret that, but aside from the Bellisseria experience I really don't see much for me in premium. I don't use any of the other perks except maybe getting into an event earlier and that isn't a big deal for me.  So I will be going back to basic after my year is up. But definitely enjoying my beachfront home!  

$150 is a lot though, agreed. 

53 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

$150 is a lot though, agreed.

1 USD equals 0.69 AUD. so my guess is that that 150 is AUD and not USD

e1a63c4a5ae12622f5b52b50149a71a9.png

and everybody that's not in a country that uses the USD has to do with exchangerates, can't really put that on LL, but on the monetairy system.
Of course it really sucks when a local currency devaluates to much compared to the USD.

About 15 yrs ago my rl partner and i imported a few dogs from Aussieland...  i compared the exchangerate ... it's nearly the same now .. i wonder a bit where the remarks about the bad vaulue come from, it's not the first time we read it here, could it be a devaluation in Australia itself but less in international comparitions? .. or a huge VAT difference for worldwide products?

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

I'm an Aussie too with 6 premium accounts, and the only thing I wanted was my mainland parcel. So, I'm dropping all my alts down to basic in October and moving my mainland store to my homestead. Although you get some of the cost back through the weekly stipend, you lose some of this when you convert it USD and then again when you cash it out.

Therefore, I'm downsizing and simplifying having all my stores in one place, and saving a bit too.

But the good thing about a low aussie dollar is profit is higher when I cash out of paypal and convert USD to AUD, compared to when the AUD was equal to and then higher than the USD a few years ago.

On 7/7/2019 at 10:44 PM, James Samiam said:

I also live on mainland regions and I believe I still get good value from my premium subscription.  The new Linden homes are sweet of course but they have big limitations which, as a mainlander, I don't have to worry about. And we've *all* benefitted from the land-impact increase and tier allowances and group increases and sandbox provisions etc...  also I availed myself of the renew-early-for-the-old-price plan so that the price increase wouldn't affect me for another year.  So far, I am really glad to say, there's been zero negative impact on my Second Living as a result of proposed (and implemented) changes.  We'll see what next year brings.

"Value" is a good word that you used; because it's subjective.  I personally think I am still getting good value. Maybe some others don't think so and that's their right to think, of course.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clarrellae said:

I also live on mainland regions and I believe I still get good value from my premium subscription.  The new Linden homes are sweet of course but they have big limitations which, as a mainlander, I don't have to worry about. And we've *all* benefitted from the land-impact increase and tier allowances and group increases and sandbox provisions etc...  also I availed myself of the renew-early-for-the-old-price plan so that the price increase wouldn't affect me for another year.  So far, I am really glad to say, there's been zero negative impact on my Second Living as a result of proposed (and implemented) changes.  We'll see what next year brings.

"Value" is a good word that you used; because it's subjective.  I personally think I am still getting good value. Maybe some others don't think so and that's their right to think, of course.

I'm assuming by "all" you mean both premium and basics. Basics do not have access to premium sandboxes so, no, it does not benefit all of us. Basics are the ones that have to put up with the griefers and troublemakers in the "public" sandboxes. I know this because I can no longer afford land and I have to depend on "public" sandboxes in order to be able to build. I've only managed to keep my 75 prim allowance skybox because my RL other half has helped with the tips he earns from DJing. Something I wish I could do but don't have the voice for.

When you add more in monthly charges for more land, the "free" 512 bump at the start recedes in value with every, um, tier. Combined with the effective more than tripling of premium cost after factoring stipend US$ value*, it's actually looking pretty terrible from this mainlander's point of view.

*also the value of the L$ is dropping as I write this, possibly due to many dumping their L$ ahead of Tilia implimentation and just getting out. Not sure but I had to exchange at 254 when I've been exchanging at a steady 252 for years.

It's just my own experience, but it's a bad one, looking ahead for me.

15 minutes ago, Yorkie Bardeen said:

When you add more in monthly charges for more land, the "free" 512 bump at the start recedes in value with every, um, tier. Combined with the effective more than tripling of premium cost after factoring stipend US$ value*, it's actually looking pretty terrible from this mainlander's point of view.

The free tier amount was increased from 512 to 1024 over a year ago.   

I've been premium since I joined, and I still think there is value with the premium membership. Paid annually, it's still less than Netflix or Amazon Prime per year.  

I have 2 premium accounts that I use to fully cover the tier on a 2240* sqm mainland parcel.   

(* includes the group bonus). 

• Like 2

I was responding to the comment that the +512 represents good value. It was very nice at the time but when you are at 16K tier it's not really much, which is where I am at. Thank you for explaining what I already knew, though.

The effective price has more than tripled for all of my premium accounts on top of the $67 monthly land tier cost so I notice it. Everyone has a different experience, and this is mine.

5 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I'm assuming by "all" you mean both premium and basics. 

Incorrect; what I meant was all premium members whether Mainlander or Linden Home dweller.  We have all benefitted in the same way.  The O.P. began a case for not seeing value in the premium subscription without a Linden Home; but I argue instead, for me, a premium subscription offers good enough value, regardless of not living in a Linden Home.  I am not referencing basic subscribers here.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Clarrellae said:

Incorrect; what I meant was all premium members whether Mainlander or Linden Home dweller.  We have all benefitted in the same way.  The O.P. began a case for not seeing value in the premium subscription without a Linden Home; but I argue instead, for me, a premium subscription offers good enough value, regardless of not living in a Linden Home.  I am not referencing basic subscribers here.

20 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Not all premium members are mainlanders or Linden Home dwellers. Some premium members have no interest in mainland or Linden Homes.

That's what I was going to say. lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.