Mesh is transparent when texture is applied.

Daisy Starlight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone, 

I usually have a fix for this, and my "fix" is probably not the conventionally way. I was wondering if anyone can explain to a blender newbie why my mesh models always appear transparent when I apply a png texture to it? I always recalculate normals and when I save the bake, it is normally saved as "png". Please help, thank you in advance

7bd23bcdf9234feabc0acd5106603650.png

472fa472dd1d8c09ac56cd73a4e9ccc9.png

8 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Don't upload textures as PNG unless you want them to have transparency.

In general don't use PNG really, save as TGA 24bit for opaque textures, 32 bit for transparent textures.

Thank you, aw that is what I have been using as a "fix" or jpg but, it ruins the quality of the texture.

9 hours ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

But in the texture settings of the object you need to change the alpha channel to none.

That's not recommended. It will fix the rougue alpha issue yes, but a texture with alpha also has a significantly bigger file size than one without and setting alpha mode to none won't fix that problem. Removing the alpha channel before uploading is very simple once you know how to do it (the exact method depends on which image editor you use) and there's no reason not to do it.

14 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Yeah use TGA it doesn't do lossy compression like jpeg does.

The only texture format SL uses, is jpeg2000 (which is not the same as the old jpeg). All the formats we use are converted on upload and and once that's done, there's no difference between them at all. Any differences are due to how the various formats are handled by software before the upload.

Edit:

Here's how to remove the alpha in Gimp:

image.png.c28a407f21f703374cddc23afcb1575e.png

and in Paint.net (in the "Save/Save as" dialog box:

image.png.e3aa1ce44d4470c16cddba6648bfe62c.png

Let me know if anybody needs to know how to do it in GraphicConverter too but don't ask me how to do it in Photoshop - I never use it.

Edited by ChinRey
Adding more info
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

The only texture format SL uses, is jpeg2000 (which is not the same as the old jpeg). All the formats we use are converted on upload and and once that's done, there's no difference between them at all. Any differences are due to how the various formats are handled by software before the upload.

Using a lossy format on upload means that you are losing informations twice instead of once.

• Haha 1

Just now, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Using a lossy format on upload means that you are losing informations twice instead of once.

No, you only loose it once and that happens when you save the file before uploading. (Jpeg2000 the way it's used in SL, is lossless.) But that's nitpicking. If you save an image file as jpeg, you loose info and you don't gain anything so don't do it.

But when comes to the two other common formats the uplaoder can handle, png and tga, there shouldn't be any difference and all.

• Like 1

WOW Thank you for the responses!

Sometimes I upload PNG anyway, depending on the object it will be applied to, jpg is no friend of detail and tga has it's moments. I figured the reason why this happens is because, sometimes the texture I am working on has many layers, so when I save from that psd file and save as png, it comes out like the above in SL, but if I "copy merge" and paste in a new window on top of a white/or black background I can get away with uploading png. 

@ChinRey thank you for sharing the way to do it in gimp! I hope someone finds that helpful in the future ❤️

On 7/8/2019 at 9:17 PM, No Fairlady said:

@ChinRey thank you for sharing the way to do it in gimp! I hope someone finds that helpful in the future ❤️

Gimp 2 .10.08 is much better and has a lot of curve balls that have been thrown in . When you get to grips with them like the new scissors you will find its fantastic and works on the new Feren O/S  perfectly seamlessly  too

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.