animats

The Sansar commercial

Found a copy of a Sansar commercial on Youtube. So you can see it voluntarily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knoEbAiYP-k

There's some 'in game" Sansar footage after the commercial. Aech's Garage, etc.

The ad looks similar to LL's Second Life commercials.

Sansar usage is up a bit. They're gaining about one concurrent user per month. Up to 13 or 14, now.

Edited by animats
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, animats said:

Sansar usage is up a bit. They're gaining about one concurrent user per month. Up to 13 or 14, now.

s7yGjPX.png

• Haha 2

On 7/7/2019 at 12:57 PM, animats said:

Is it up? is it down? depends on where you look. It is at about 14 now. But overall gains more like a 1/2 a user a month. Ashame they didn't invest more in it. 43239bab7c8d637702927e374feba0f7.png
https://gyazo.com/43239bab7c8d637702927e374feba0f7

On 7/10/2019 at 12:35 AM, Gindipple said:

Ashame they didn't invest more in it. 

They invested plenty. Its on Steam. SL natives and the gaming community just aren't interested.

Whats really a shame is that LL doesn't pull a few developers back to work on features for SL, whats actually still making them money and what people are still interested in. Feature implementation in SL is delicated as a reward incentive to developers IF they get their current, as always, attention deverting, multitasked, workload done and NOT as a fundamental component to evolving the platform.

This is why feature implementation takes so damn long in SL, resulting in one developer working on a feature for 1.5+ years, when, had their time not been spent juggling a hundred other unrelated things, said feature could have been completed in 1/4 or 1/5 the time or even less.

This is also why SL has been perpetually 10 years behind like/competing MMO standards with many of its facets, particularly with sound handling, camera functionality, animation protocols, skeletal rigging standards, materials standards, gfx processing standards, environmental effects, etc.

Management needs to hire people that do nothing but work on features that advance the platform and not to be pulled off to handle unrelated tasks like backend server work or networking issues or figuring out bugs created by other developer's work.

In the NWN interview with Ebbe Linden, he stated that Linden Lab has 200 employees with 70, yes 70 of them working on Sansar.

That is an ENORMOUS chunk of the workforce handling a project that has had dismal concurrency ratings for several years now.

PULL SOME PEOPLE OFF THAT HUGE WASTE OF MONEY AND WORKFORCE ALREADY!

/rant

• Like 4

If there's 200 people in a company and 70 are working on the new product, that should tell you form a business perspective how important it is to them.

Spent plenty on it, but not what it really needed for the grand scale of it.

They weighed the pros and cons or retro fitting all the newer tech into SL, and Sansar was born from that. It was a wise move, just not funded to necessity is all.

Trust me I'm not defending it as a platform, I've given up hope on it for now.

But as a business decision to do so I'm absolutely sure it was and is the right move.

They may surprise me yet, but I'm not expecting it anytime soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/12/2019 at 1:32 AM, Lucia Nightfire said:

They invested plenty. Its on Steam. SL natives and the gaming community just aren't interested.

Whats really a shame is that LL doesn't pull a few developers back to work on features for SL, whats actually still making them money and what people are still interested in. Feature implementation in SL is delicated as a reward incentive to developers IF they get their current, as always, attention deverting, multitasked, workload done and NOT as a fundamental component to evolving the platform.

This is why feature implementation takes so damn long in SL, resulting in one developer working on a feature for 1.5+ years, when, had their time not been spent juggling a hundred other unrelated things, said feature could have been completed in 1/4 or 1/5 the time or even less.

This is also why SL has been perpetually 10 years behind like/competing MMO standards with many of its facets, particularly with sound handling, camera functionality, animation protocols, skeletal rigging standards, materials standards, gfx processing standards, environmental effects, etc.

Management needs to hire people that do nothing but work on features that advance the platform and not to be pulled off to handle unrelated tasks like backend server work or networking issues or figuring out bugs created by other developer's work.

In the NWN interview with Ebbe Linden, he stated that Linden Lab has 200 employees with 70, yes 70 of them working on Sansar.

That is an ENORMOUS chunk of the workforce handling a project that has had dismal concurrency ratings for several years now.

/rant

One big field I see for LL to go to would be the whole mobile iOs community which hasn't been yet addresed.

7 hours ago, Lawrence Celestalis said:

One big field I see for LL to go to would be the whole mobile iOs community which hasn't been yet addresed.

Does standard mobile have the hardware specs to support Sansar?

Also, if LL can't even generate concurrency with desktop users, why would they achieve it with mobile users?

The majority of the worlds aren't even designed in mobile game environment format.

Who would want to use their phones just to explore dozens of art exhibits?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Does standard mobile have the hardware specs to support Sansar?

Also, if LL can't even generate concurrency with desktop users, why would they achieve it with mobile users?

The majority of the worlds aren't even designed in mobile game environment format.

Who would want to use their phones just to explore dozens of art exhibits?

For phones maybe not, but for iPads very much so. I understand the problem at the moment is graphic portability and compliancy with the AppStore. Android has a viewer already since some time. 

1 minute ago, Lawrence Celestalis said:

Android has had a viewer already since some time. 

fixed it for you ;)

Hello,

On 7/12/2019 at 1:32 AM, Lucia Nightfire said:

/rant

Hello,

The fact is there is difference between rumor and reality; and we don't know how many employees are working for both Second life and Sansar.

To help Sansar to raise they can trust more true professionals to promote Sansar as new render engine, they can help professional to handle professional 3D format, too, ... one day.

They can do the same on Second life too.  One day.

On 7/20/2019 at 6:27 PM, Lawrence Celestalis said:

Yes, it is a way to go too, to make volume, there is no choice, we must address : Windows, Linux, Ios, Android, really no choice.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 8:17 PM, Lawrence Celestalis said:

For phones maybe not, but for iPads very much so. I understand the problem at the moment is graphic portability and compliancy with the AppStore. Android has a viewer already since some time. 

We're talking Sansar, not SL .

and .. No. The system specs for Sansar are higher than SL, and as everything is downloaded in advance your device will need to have several gb free space. Sansar was designed for enthusiast grade VR hats not phones.

16 hours ago, Motoko Oanomochi said:

The fact is there is difference between rumor and reality; and we don't know how many employees are working for both Second life and Sansar.

I quoted what the CEO himself said. 200 employees at Linden Lab and 70 of them working on Sansar. Why would he just make up those numbers during an interview?

• Like 1

Only 70 devs in sansar ? Thst explains why there's still no custom key bindings and inventory folders in edit mode and other fixes after 2 years. Development in sansar is going way to slow to mske it usefull.

Not sure id secondlife ever going to be good and comparable with modern games. Costs to own a sim keeps a big stopper.

1 hour ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

Only 70 devs in sansar ? Thst explains why there's still no custom key bindings and inventory folders in edit mode and other fixes after 2 years. Development in sansar is going way to slow to mske it usefull.

Not sure id secondlife ever going to be good and comparable with modern games. Costs to own a sim keeps a big stopper.

Feature development in Sansar is not slow at all. They release new stuff every quarter.

It reminds me of a time(prior to 2014) when Secondlife used to get quarterly script function releases.

Since then we only get script functions that are tied to major features such as Materials, Experiences, Bento, Animesh, EEP, Name Changes etc. which have development times of 1, 1.5, 2 years or more.

Since the beginning of 2014 when Andrew Linden left LL and Kelly Linden went to work on Sansar, the only script functions we got not tied to major features were llGetAttachedList() in 2015 and llSitOnLink() in 2016.

Script feature work in Secondlife is basically non-existent.

16 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Feature development in Sansar is not slow at all. They release new stuff every quarter.

Quarterly is slow unless they are big or lots of features. If I only accomplished something quarterly at my programming job, I wouldn’t have a job. Modern development methodologies allow for incremental change (sprints, burndown charts, etc.). Either LL has very few programmers working on it, or they are perfectionists. 

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Quarterly is slow unless they are big or lots of features. If I only accomplished something quarterly at my programming job, I wouldn’t have a job. Modern development methodologies allow for incremental change (sprints, burndown charts, etc.). Either LL has very few programmers working on it, or they are perfectionists. 

They report quarterly on whats been added in Sansar. I don't how frequent individual features are actually released. I just wish we had the same workload in SL.

In between LL's last summit and the current one this week, no features have been released. EEP has been in development for almost 26 months now, BoM for over 21 months.

It would be great if we could just get a few scripted features released every quarter to aid content creation or gaming or just to make things more efficient than relying on multiple scripts.

57 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

In between LL's last summit and the current one this week, no features have been released. EEP has been in development for almost 26 months now, BoM for over 21 months.

don't forget the last names, cache, performance & rendering, 360 snapshot, cloud migration, and so on .. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

I quoted what the CEO himself said. 200 employees at Linden Lab and 70 of them working on Sansar. Why would he just make up those numbers during an interview?

Oh :) , okay, I though it was just a rumor.

Edited by Motoko Oanomochi

14 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Well, we know they are not publicly visible concurrent users!

9 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

don't forget the last names, cache, performance & rendering, 360 snapshot, cloud migration, and so on .. 

Last names isn't released. I'm not talking about backend work or web features. I'm talking strictly server/simulator features.

Last names touches the entire codebase. I'd be very surprised if there was a single area of operation that was immune from the assumption that names don't change

2 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Last names touches the entire codebase. I'd be very surprised if there was a single area of operation that was immune from the assumption that names don't change

Indeed. Just saying that work won't be completed for some time. I'd be surprised if it was completed this year, heh.