New Home Security

Cordalynn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have one of the new Linden House boats. I also own land so I know about all of the things owners can do as far as keeping their property private. In the "Options" tab un-checking the "Allow everyone" section creates ban lines, how ever that option won't un-check for me and part of the covenant states you have to allow people to fly over your parcel. My neighbor has ban lines and they go up past  1500m. Can we use ban lines? Why can't I and they can? They were accessing my boat and when I asked them not to they denied it and said they were going to report me to the Linden for harrasment. I blocked them and did not reply to their comments but now I see ban lines. Any answers?

3 minutes ago, Cordalynn said:

I have one of the new Linden House boats. I also own land so I know about all of the things owners can do as far as keeping their property private. In the "Options" tab un-checking the "Allow everyone" section creates ban lines, how ever that option won't un-check for me and part of the covenant states you have to allow people to fly over your parcel. My neighbor has ban lines and they go up past  1500m. Can we use ban lines? Why can't I and they can? They were accessing my boat and when I asked them not to they denied it and said they were going to report me to the Linden for harrasment. I blocked them and did not reply to their comments but now I see ban lines. Any answers?

You see ban lines because they banned YOU

The only way you can put ban lines out is to personally ban an individual...

So if you see ban lines they banned you...

If you go to the ABOUT LAND on their parcel... then click the access tab you can confirm this if your name is on the list of banned avatars

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Chad Marbach said:

As far as I know.  They got rid of the ban lines in the new continent.  You can find a security system with the pacages that come with the home and install that as per instructions included.

You cannot put up general banlines that bans everyone, you CAN however ban an individual... this is a FACT

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Cordalynn said:

Evangeline's answer is correct. They almost certainly have  banned you individually, presumably because of the earlier conflict, and banning individual avatars is allowed. 

• Like 3

Just now, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Evangeline's answer is correct. They almost certainly have  banned you individually, presumably because of the earlier conflict, and banning individual avatars is allowed. 

Thank you, I should have had the idea to banned them instead of asking them not to come on my boat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

as if it were necessary...

give me 2 days and the wiki documentation and I write you a security system that just scans for avatars on sim and puts each of them on the parcel ban list for 5 minutes unless already there or whitelisted...

BAM! - as good as ban lines - Possible within current restrictions placed by the Lab? Sure - Legit? I doubt so ...

PS:  so if you see yourself on a parcel's banlist without ever going there before and loads of other avatars too ... it might as well just be the simple loophole abuse I just described - easy to check though : send an incognito alt or unrelated friend - if also banned you know what's going on ;)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fionalein said:

give me 2 days and the wiki documentation and I write you a security system that just scans for avatars on sim and puts each of them on them on the parcel ban list for 5 minutes unless already there or whitelisted...

BAM! - as good as ban lines - Possible withing current restrictions placed by the Lab? Sure - Legit? I doubt so ... 

OK. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

give me 2 days and the wiki documentation and I write you a security system that just scans for avatars on sim and puts each of them on the parcel ban list for 5 minutes unless already there or whitelisted...

BAM! - as good as ban lines - Possible withing current restrictions placed by the Lab? Sure - Legit? I doubt so ... 

Pretty sure this would not pass the smell test on the covenant... Plus you are essentially creating a system that not only creates ban lines but creates banlines the entire height of the parcel for EVERYONE who enters or lives in that region... nobody would ever be able to fly a plane again, it would essentially look like an entire region of skyscraper sized banlines... I'm just going to take a wild guess something like this would immediately trigger yet another refinement of the Linden Home covenant to prevent that sort of system.

Edited by Evangeline Ling
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

I'm just going to take a wild guess something like this would immediately trigger yet another refinement of the Linden Home covenant to prevent that sort of system.

Technically not neccesary - as it is a security system that is no equivalent to the mole supplied one - the difficulty would be to spot it in action ... Most folks would simply assume their new neighbour hates them for an unknown reason.

I ran into similar stuff when my car got stuck inside a hedge after a sim crossing - it's annoying enough when it only fires once you set foot on the parcel.

Edited by Fionalein

@Seba Serpente yet the covenant does not disallow systematically banning each your neighbours by hand (yet) ... I bet some folks already did so.

A simple countermeasure would be to forbid security systems to automatically add people to the banlist (which is surprisingly still allowed/not mentioned by the covenant at all).

Edited by Fionalein

45 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

I ran into similar stuff when my car got stuck inside a hedge after a sim crossing - it's annoying enough when it only fires once you set foot on the parcel.

I have lagged into banned parcels before. Parcels that I already knew were off-limits to non-group members (or perhaps to anyone alive or dead) as it showed up as red on my mini map.

And when I lag into it, usually on a vehicle, it places me some distance into the banned parcel until it kicks me out and shows me the messages that "You are no longer allowed on this parcel and have been ejected".
This makes me WTF every time, because I wasn't allowed on the parcel to begin with, nor did I intend to enter it.

Thanks, lag!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Seba Serpente said:

Constantine Linden: "It's our belief that with a sense of community being a main goal of Linden Homes, ban lines send the wrong message."

There is more to that paragraph though:

image.thumb.png.792cd091275c715ff89b2b6cc7ff8f82.png

And that will result in the specific banned folks seeing ban lines.

• Like 3

I think the lesson in all this is, and I realize not every neighbor is ideal, considering that your neighbors have the ability to ban you and effectively create ban lines for you... Maybe as a rule of thumb just try your best to be a good neighbor... the best way to never see ban lines is simply that, be magnanimous, try to resolve things peacefully... it will benefit you in the long run.  I try to get to know my neighbors on the sim, especially those directly next to me... it just helps for a better Linden Home experience.

• Like 8

I'm so glad I only have one neighbor, and they either have a house someplace else or are on at completely different times. I rarely see them. 

I know once they start working in my area and I'm no longer on the edge of the world, I'm going to end up with another boat across from me... I dread that day, and I look forward to it, too. It's going to block part of my stellar view of Quartz Lake ( @Patch Linden- Please can we name it that? Pretty please with sugar on top??) but it'll be awesome to have more people in the area and the big lake finished. 

Oh! And while I have your attention, Patch, since @Evangeline Linghas realized that a lot of the people living around the lake are already in my *cough* group *cough*, if we can get more than 50% when the lake is done, can we have a little island in the middle that is Bellissaria's official nude beach? No funny business, of course, just sanctioned as clothing optional?? Thanks!

Edited by Beth Macbain
It's typo-rific!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

t's going to block part of my stellar view of Quartz Lake

Quartz Lake? I have been calling it the Sea of Fourze!

36 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

can we have a little island in the middle that is Bellissaria's official nude beach? No funny business, of course, just sanctioned as clothing optional?? Thanks!

I am all for this idea. My houseboat (which welcomes all visitors!) is already a clothing optional location, and I advertise it as such next to the entrance, thus making sure that people don't get an unwanted eyeful. The sign opens the KB article about this when touched.

image.png.1988b023e12d19df3320aa69de8d9113.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Quartz Lake? I have been calling it the Sea of Fourze!

I am all for this idea. My houseboat (which welcomes all visitors!) is already a clothing optional location, and I advertise it as such next to the entrance, thus making sure that people don't get an unwanted eyeful. The sign opens the KB article about this when touched.

Here's mine... I haven't linked it but that's a great idea!

385155167_Snapshot_001(1).png.2f317f50bd0b9f940ca5789b68c0fecb.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.