Optimizing Question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have noticed that my sim has been starting to have lag and i had thought that i was actually doing a great job keeping that down.  I have been doing alot of reading and research about the lag factor and noticed i need to check on textures.  What makes an optimized texture?  I know i turn off all scripts that i get a choice for, and right at the moment i do have a couple rez boxes still out, but i am aware of that and will be taking them out.  I, like everyone who has a public sim, just want my visitors to have a good experience when they are there.  Any help, even if more than the optimized textures will be greatly appreciated.

K

Lag might not just be due to textures. Use the viewer stats (Ctrl-Shift 1) and look at the figures for packets, frame time, simulator and physics time. Loss of script run time is a known issue at the moment and if you see your figure under 50% this may well be the cause of the lag. If you are seeing rubber-banding when you try to move around this is often a network connection problem where the server is not tracking the client actions, and there's not much you can do except check your own router and network, or try connecting again several times until you get a better one.

Textures are best kept to 512 x 512 max but you might not be able to reduce 1024 textures if the items you bought are no-mod.

Firestorm viewer offers a VRAM examination (I think in the developer tab) which allows you to look for items with high texture memory usage and possibly do something about it. You'll find a lot more information about this in the building sub-forum under content and creation. Whirly Fizzle is the best person to ask for more detail on this.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
spells acursed again
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.