Nothing seems to happen and the harrassment and abuse continues

Sammie Kiyori

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Looking for advice and I am not just complaining. I really want to help. There is a person that has been for years harassing  and abusing to appoint one person lost her business and another lost his job as a dj. multiple reports have been filed yet nothing has been done. She has clearly broke Lindens rules of Harassment " Harassment can take many forms. Communicating or behaving in a manner that is offensively coarse, intimidating, threatening, or causes annoyance or alarm is not allowed." I was threatened that my personal info and made up stuff would be sent to my friends and was. Luckily I only lost one friend. In addition she has Repeated transmission of undesired content Disrupting events or user conversations, such as through the use of repetitive sounds, Spamming Posting interpersonal disputes or personal negative commentary publicly when such communications should occur through private channels of communication; All from Lindens definition. She has done this with her fiends, herself and alts. Yet my friend lost her business and another lost her job and she still harassing. Since I blocked her she started to follow me and send me $L1 several times a day. (form looking at my profile?). SOOOOOO how do i send an effective abuse report like I said nothing happened from the multiple others. She needs help and lack of response from Linden is only empowering and encouraging. Please Help I want SL to be safe for everyone. In RL it is easier because of police and courts in SL I feel so helpless. :(

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

What you think is harassment and proof may not meet the Lab's standard. For the Lab one needs to provide precise time of an incident so they can review the server logs. If they can't corroborate your report with server logs they are more hesitant to act.

In SL vigilanties learned long ago that Abuse Reports can be abused and used as a weapon. Griefers understand the tactic too. So, Linden enforcement is dealing with real and false reports. So, you have to provide a believable, well documented abuse report. 

From various sources we hear the Lindens do read every Abuse Report. They meet with users every month (bi-weekly) in a Governance UG meeting, You can show up at the meeting.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

What you think is harassment and proof may not meet the Lab's standard.

As someone who has in the past called LL on the phone to try and talk about a harassment problem and ended up in tears while being told "there is nothing we can do", I honestly think they see harassment is just a resident dispute and just not something they ever care to touch.

Fake profiles, stalking, bombing me with scripted inventory offers from disposable accounts (that can't be blocked), messaging my friends, creating accounts with my name and a 1 at the end with straight up libelous profile, messaging people I was stood next to pretending to be me, joining groups and attacking people as me .. the list goes on and on and on. It was all documented and included with every abuse report. It was rare to have a day pass that myself and friends did not have cause to file a valid abuse report, and it honestly felt like they were simply being deleted. Trying to get a single Linden to even look at the problem was impossible.

Law enforcement advice was to "quit the internet" despite there being laws dealing with online harassment.

"Just ignore it " doesn't work when it's actual harassment by a dedicated and determined stalker, and starting over from scratch with zero ties to all previous hangouts and social circles everywhere you can be identified online, let alone just for SL, is not practical. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

What you think is harassment and proof may not meet the Lab's standard. For the Lab one needs to provide precise time of an incident so they can review the server logs. If they can't corroborate your report with server logs they are more hesitant to act.

In SL vigilanties learned long ago that Abuse Reports can be abused and used as a weapon. Griefers understand the tactic too. So, Linden enforcement is dealing with real and false reports. So, you have to provide a believable, well documented abuse report. 

From various sources we hear the Lindens do read every Abuse Report. They meet with users every month (bi-weekly) in a Governance UG meeting, You can show up at the meeting.

that is awesome ty

8 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

As someone who has in the past called LL on the phone to try and talk about a harassment problem and ended up in tears while being told "there is nothing we can do", I honestly think they see harassment is just a resident dispute and just not something they ever care to touch.

Fake profiles, stalking, bombing me with scripted inventory offers from disposable accounts (that can't be blocked), messaging my friends, creating accounts with my name and a 1 at the end with straight up libelous profile, messaging people I was stood next to pretending to be me, joining groups and attacking people as me .. the list goes on and on and on. It was all documented and included with every abuse report. It was rare to have a day pass that myself and friends did not have cause to file a valid abuse report, and it honestly felt like they were simply being deleted. Trying to get a single Linden to even look at the problem was impossible.

Law enforcement advice was to "quit the internet" despite there being laws dealing with online harassment.

"Just ignore it " doesn't work when it's actual harassment by a dedicated and determined stalker, and starting over from scratch with zero ties to all previous hangouts and social circles everywhere you can be identified online, let alone just for SL, is not practical. 

Omg I am soo sorry to hear that happened to u. I am very lucky I am just trying to do the right thing. Unfortunately I am hearing more stories like yours. Maybe I should try to look at changing Lindens policy. I can't stand for victims being victims by sources that should be helping. my heart goes out to u

30 minutes ago, rtthgrls said:

I am very lucky I am just trying to do the right thing. Unfortunately I am hearing more stories like yours. Maybe I should try to look at changing Lindens policy. I can't stand for victims being victims by sources that should be helping. my heart goes out to u

it sounds to me you are not the one that's the victim? .. or directly involved? "heared" stories?
If so your AR's are useless.

It is even sadder and maddening the more I understand. There are no actions or consequences Linden Lab will do to you as long as you do it by IM. Hence, you can threaten, harasses, use real-world info i.e. marriage, kids, religion, etc. and you can do this on going. Because it is in IM and Linden does not use IM as evidence, BUT that is the only way we communicate. Linden by there own policy does nothing. Unless u have a picture of them somehow threatening via a picture? It also sounds like many go along with this like it is ok. In RL courts around the world make judgments. So justice and can be served, and rules and laws are obeyed. Sometimes they are wrong sure, but it works in Linden their written Policy about abuse and harassment is  B.S. because the near impossible way to get proof. So I see your choices if you are harassed either fight back as long as you do it by IM or we try to have Linden change their Policy or and I would suggest this to do nothing, don’t file. It hurts even more so to be re-victimized by Lindens own policy. It is pretended that Linden does something no wonder we all hear nothing being done because that is pretty close to being true

3 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

it sounds to me you are not the one that's the victim? .. or directly involved? "heared" stories?
If so your AR's are useless.

I am still being harassed and a victim. Daily i get L1$ from the person that attacked me and is blocked. I have to go to different locations away from my friends because she still could be there and still harass me. I just haven't loss as much and it seems silly of my inconvenience compared to others. BUT yes it still sucks for me and this person still continues and will continues because there are no consequences to her. I only have a picture of how many times she sends that L$1 to me i still can't get rid of her. But Linden could look at it as a squabble between two pple so no action needed. So yes I was and continue to be....

Hi, rtthgrls.  Let me try to clear up a couple of things.

First, Coffee is correct...a dedicated and skilled stalker/harasser is over-the-top annoying and can be almost impossible to get rid of.  However, you do have some tools that, properly used, can help.

As Nalates says, LL looks at all Abuse Reports.  What they are looking for is violations of the Terms of Service (and other LL policies).  Simple verbal harassment, while technically against policy, is a very minor infraction, and you have tools to prevent it...so unless your harasser is VERY egregious, they can keep it up for quite a long time while seeming to escape consequences.

Revealing Real Life information is a more serious violation than simple harassment.  Protect your RL info!  And, if someone starts posting it to embarrass you, do report it, each and every time.

IMs can, indeed, be solid evidence for an Abuse Report.  In fact, they provide much better evidence than if the person had used voice, because LL logs all chat and IMs, but don't log Voice.  They have suggested that we not include excerpts from our own IM and chat logs in Abuse Reports...this is because text is so easily edited, or taken out of context, so they ignore any such logs we attach.  HOWEVER, the logs include time stamps, and this gives them a clear indication of where to look in their own logs.  So I often include a relevant excerpt in my reports.

If you are harassed or stalked outside of Second Life, consider contacting the Real Life authorities.  In the USA, the FBI is the agency tasked with dealing with online stalkers.  If someone is physically stalking you in RL (coming to your house,  showing up at places where you are, etc.), call the police.

Here are your tools to combat annoying people:

• Mute/Block.  When you block someone, they cannot IM you, and you won't hear chat from them.  You won't hear sounds or see particles from objects belonging to them.  They can, however, still bump you physically.  Use a movelock or simply sit on something to prevent this.  They can also pay you money.  Don't consider this harassment, consider it collecting a penalty from them, and happily go shopping!
  • Ignore Them.  Do not respond in any way.  Don't talk to them, don't mention them in local chat to your friends (they can hear YOUR local chat, even though you can't hear theirs).  If possible, go somewhere else.  If a griefer can't get a reaction out of you, eventually he will get bored and go look for more entertaining prey.  (Usually, Coffee!)
  • Ban Them.  If you own or rent land, you can ban people from going there.  You can also prevent people from putting objects on your land or using scripts there, or teleporting around or flying, and these can be helpful if your land is frequently under attack by griefers.
  • Report Them.  Report each incident.  Be as clear and concise as possible.  Only state the facts.  If you've submitted previous reports on this person, or you suspect the account you're reporting is an alt of someone you reported before, reference your previous report(s).  If other people witness the offense, ask them to report it too.
  • Create an alt.  I only recommend this as a last resort. If you have to make a new account, and change all your friends and favorite places, your harasser has, in a sense, "killed" you.  But it is a possible solution, if your harasser drives you to it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rtthgrls said:

How will i know when the next meeting will be.

just for info:

Disclaimer: Please be aware that there are certain topics or information we cannot discuss (Abuse Appeals for warnings/suspensions or account terminations, information/outcomes on investigations of open or past Abuse Reports, etc).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.