Jump to content
Zed Avedon

Its amazing how strong SL seems to be!?

Recommended Posts

On 7/11/2019 at 1:11 AM, AdminGirl said:

Either way, animesh takes up more juice

It doesn't.

On 7/11/2019 at 2:55 AM, AdminGirl said:

Animesh may impose some performance impacts, particularly where a lot of Animesh is active within a scene.

It doesn't.

This is "mesh causes lag" all over again. Superstitious nonsense. I can practically guarantee any animesh you see in SL has far less of an impact on your performance than any avatar on your screen, including your own. Because unlike avatars, animesh is subject to Land Impact to keep its resource use in check. Adding more skeleton rigs to a scene has negligible impact on performance.

 If you're really concerned about performance look no further than insane texture use, and the total lack of meaningful restrictions when it comes to avatar attachments. THAT is what is dragging your performance down.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 7:55 PM, KanryDrago said:

Sansar has been launched 2 years, it has been on steam for 7 months. It still has no userbase.  How long does too early to tell actually last in your mind?

I suppose that was a question for Inara only but I'll give you my answer anyway.

There is no specific ime limit and some of the most successful MMORPGs struggled for much longer than Sansar has done before they became hits. Sansar can afford to spend a few more years to reach its target.

The question, however, is what is the target? Most of the initial goals have already been abandoned for various reasons and there doesn't seem to be any new ones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

The question, however, is what is the target? Most of the initial goals have already been abandoned for various reasons and there doesn't seem to be any new ones.

Not admitting they effed up, maybe?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

Not admitting they effed up, maybe?

No, I believe they genuinely want that bird to fly.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChinRey said:

No, I believe they genuinely want that bird to fly.

Then I wish them luck, they are going to need it. OTOH, I resent Sansar and LL for bleeding SL of resources (even though I may be wrong in that assumption).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

The question, however, is what is the target? Most of the initial goals have already been abandoned for various reasons and there doesn't seem to be any new ones.

Excellent point. 

I don't see any likelihood of them telling us what these might be, however.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 12:45 AM, Parhelion Palou said:

True - they could go to Sansar or most any other game that allows user-supplied content and pay the company that owns it a lot more. There's always OpenSim grids though.

Sansar is not even half as known as SL or has the same amount of people online daily, it became known through second life and havent been promoted since outside of it. I heard about second life on my country's news and joined. That is called promotion and SL has quit promoting themselves years ago unfortunately so no new people are joining. I remember the story on the news was that a lawyer closed their office because she was making more money inworld. How many games can offer that? And they have totally ruined it.                               

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

It doesn't.

It doesn't.

This is "mesh causes lag" all over again. Superstitious nonsense. I can practically guarantee any animesh you see in SL has far less of an impact on your performance than any avatar on your screen, including your own. Because unlike avatars, animesh is subject to Land Impact to keep its resource use in check. Adding more skeleton rigs to a scene has negligible impact on performance.

 If you're really concerned about performance look no further than insane texture use, and the total lack of meaningful restrictions when it comes to avatar attachments. THAT is what is dragging your performance down.

Still waiting for that oh-so-needed avatar ressource cap.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

Then I wish them luck, they are going to need it. OTOH, I resent Sansar and LL for bleeding SL of resources (even though I may be wrong in that assumption).

 

^ This, for the full 100%! Sansar is fail. And, more importantly, has always been doomed from the get-go. And for 2 simple reasons:

1) You need an Advanced Degree in Blender before you can actually build something in there. The entry-threshold is simply waaay too high. And that's what makes SL such a success (amongst other reasons): it's low-level entry. After a few minutes in SL, even a complete newbie can already start stacking prims.

2) For a new virtual world to succeed, you're confronted with a nasty 'chicken & the egg' problem: you need much content and/or virtual goods already in place for ppl to even consider making the 'jump' to Sansar, as it were. But, in order to get all that content, you need to have the people in there first! A few pretty showcases will get ppl to log in once, and maybe return for a second time, but that's it. Unless there's a marketplace the size of, say, half that of SL already present, why would I jump ship?! I wouldn't, is the point.

I'm also slightly annoyed at LL's persistent stubborness regarding Sansar: instead of just calling it quits, and admitting they embarked on a process based on the wrong premises, they just keep siphoning cash off of SL. And we can only hope they're not killing the golden goose in the process, causing both platforms to go under.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Excellent point. 

I don't see any likelihood of them telling us what these might be, however.

 

And I don't see any likelihood of them even knowing these goals themselves:P First it was for everyone; then they quickly back-peddled, and no, we misunderstood, and it was more for hospitals and architects and such. And now? I honestly doubt they have a clear picture of where it's headed themselves, except to say "Let's just sink more money into it! We'll do the whole Tilia thingy on SL, charge ppl's USD accounts extra, whatever, and it'll all work out!" Riiiiight. Or am I being too cynical here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ChinRey said:

No, I believe they genuinely want that bird to fly.

it will eventually - one way or another ;) out of the window is a kind of flight too

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Excellent point. 

I don't see any likelihood of them telling us what these might be, however.

Au contraire! If they ever find a suitable market to target, they will want to tell everybody.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I suppose that was a question for Inara only but I'll give you my answer anyway.

There is no specific ime limit and some of the most successful MMORPGs struggled for much longer than Sansar has done before they became hits. Sansar can afford to spend a few more years to reach its target.

The question, however, is what is the target? Most of the initial goals have already been abandoned for various reasons and there doesn't seem to be any new ones.

Care to name one of these most successful MMORPGS that struggled at first? I came to SL from MMPORGS and the experience was always the same A good start followed by a rapidly declining player base. The one exception to that being world of warcraft which grew its player base for several years before going into decline. However world of warcraft was never struggling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Au contraire! If they ever find a suitable market to target, they will want to tell everybody.

They wanted to tell everyone about SL. That lasted what, a month? Over 10 years ago. One million new accounts... and out of that one million how many are left that log in regularly? Roughly 50k. A drop in the bucket.

Bottom line is, they are repeating the same mistakes with Sansar that they made with SL and it will have the same results, if not worse. The biggist mistake made with both? Opening them to the public before ever leaving beta.

Very few even realize that SL was still in beta when it opened to the public and that status has never changed in the past 15 years. If someone can find an announcement that SL made it out of beta, please, PLEASE post it. I've been look for years and never found one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

Care to name one of these most successful MMORPGS that struggled at first? I came to SL from MMPORGS and the experience was always the same A good start followed by a rapidly declining player base. The one exception to that being world of warcraft which grew its player base for several years before going into decline. However world of warcraft was never struggling

*coughs*

In September 2002, Earth & Beyond was released. Having been in development since 1997, this was the second 3D sci-fi space-ship based MMORPG. Earth and Beyond only lasted two years before being shut down by developer Westwood Studios' owners, Electronic Arts.

*coughs*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_%26_Beyond

 

 

ETA: While no, it wasn't successful it does kind of make the point.

Quote

Earth & Beyond was a nominee for PC Gamer US's "2002 Best Massively Multiplayer Game" award, which ultimately went to Asheron's Call 2: Fallen Kings.[20]

 

Edited by Selene Gregoire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

*coughs*

In September 2002, Earth & Beyond was released. Having been in development since 1997, this was the second 3D sci-fi space-ship based MMORPG. Earth and Beyond only lasted two years before being shut down by developer Westwood Studios' owners, Electronic Arts.

*coughs*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_%26_Beyond

 

 

ETA: While no, it wasn't successful it does kind of make the point.

 

If it wasnt successful then it doesnt make the point that chin was trying to make which is that many mmorpgs struggle for years then become sucessful. It just isnt true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

If it wasnt successful then it doesnt make the point that chin was trying to make which is that many mmorpgs struggle for years then become sucessful. It just isnt true

Are you not familiar with how EA Games operates? 

Do you have any idea how many games struggled to become successful and EA axed them before they could? 

EA has a far worse reputation than LL does.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2019 at 8:23 PM, Fionalein said:

But people are spoiled - they expect more from a public beta these days. The premature release might have burnt it forever for lots of potential users.

This is true, so far as engaging some from SL and gaining a positive toe-hold on Steam is concerned - hence why LL are turning (as I think they actually should) to other potential audiences. It's certainly generating the interest - but retention remains the sticking point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 5:33 AM, KanryDrago said:

Care to name one of these most successful MMORPGS that struggled at first? 

Well, not sure if it'd be consider "most successful" but ESO had a bit of a rough reception at start from what I recall and it's been doing pretty well now since.

Now that final fantasy mmo on the other hand a whole dramatic cinematic to close down their original rough launch and rebooted with "realm reborn" and has been doing exceptionally well, even still has a subscription based model compared to most other MMO's these days that go to F2P or occasionally B2P after trying to start out only sub. '

Previously mentioned ESO being on the side that changed to B2P [Buy to Play]

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...