Make different colored walls in your Linden Home

Marianne Little

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

You see it look good, yes? I see only the mistakes. I haven't lined up the window sill in one of the rooms properly, and it isn't visible from the distance I take pictures. But I know it is there. And ... Self-consciousness. Some will find one not perfectly lined up part, and blast me to pieces. When people make it themself, they have no others to blame.

I don't think I ever make it good enough. When that window sill is corrected, with new test uploads and final upload, I find another small issue. It is never going to be good enough, for me to dare to let anyone scrutinize it.

Well i think it looks great.  Maybe I will try your tutorial when I get a chance.

• Like 1

Someone with more courage can make and sell them. I don't have copyright, lol.

Edit: Someone already sell walls for Continental, but last I checked, they were only no mod, and... I want to use all my textures, not others textures.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 10:52 AM, Trinity Aironaut said:

Before I start, let me say I'm not a Rep from Udemy......but......I am a life long learner, and If you can catch a sale, and it's amazing how often they have one, Udemy offers full Blender 2.8 online classes for as little as 9 usd! These are step by step, intro to finished project. and teach a wealth of information beyond the project itself. Even now they are doing an 11.99 sale for the next 2 days. I loaded up about 2 weeks ago on the 9.99 sale. You have lifetime access to them and can learn at your own pace, they offer the current version and 2.8, you just need to search for the right version. The instructors often teach at the college level and have skills at online, hands on training. At the end of a successfully completed course they offer a certificate.....which could be useful for jobs requiring training. I'm not going to add the link here, I think I'm skating close and it might be against TOS to do it, but do a search for Udemy or hit me up in private IM. If someone can let me know about TOS and outside educational links I'd be grateful.

@Trinity Aironaut; I just wanted to say a HUGE thanks for this. I didn't even know Udemy existed, now I'm several modules into the Introductory course. Yes I've already made some mistakes and ordinarily I would have uninstalled Blender long before now as I did in the past, but I feel like I'm absorbing it this time instead of feeling overwhelmed (though that's easy enough to do as well even at this stage!) There's still a long LONG way to go and starting from scratch means while I won't get anything built in any hurry at least I'll learn the basics first (as all the mesh experts in the forum suggest we do). So again a big sincere THANK YOU for pointing me in the right direction! ❤️:D👍

And @Marianne Little I'll say it again just in case it wasn't clear the first time; you're an inspiration, so thank you too!  You've already come so far. I remember not that long ago we were discussing Mesh Generator and Mesh Studio and back then you weren't even sure you could grasp those, now you've already far surpassed them (or at least their capabilities)! Seeing what you're able to do here gives me hope for the future too so now I'm modestly following in your footsteps. I've also bookmarked this page for future reference as a little boost to keep me going. I tell myself if Marianne can do it, so can I! See, now you're teaching me!❤️ :D 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It is so much better to do it right. Working with textures is a !§*?!!! but modeling in Blender feels so fun.

Maybe I get an epiphany in working with UV mapping. Maybe.

I bought 2 Udemu courses, the UV mapping is still not my friend.

Someone asked if I should put the tower for sale in the MP. It was in no shape for a sale. Even giving it away for free is out of the question. That is not going to exist in SL with my name on.

My Blendermade main part of the tower, to the left. Modeled of 1 mesh, and the cut for the round window have 12 edges. The starter tower of prims built in SL does not look so bad - until I turn on wireframe. Behold that mess. 😳

I am getting there with the tower, but slow. I am not sure if I shall make the roof too, I must look at it in wireframe and see how good the LOD is.

towermess.jpg

• Like 5

On 8/3/2019 at 4:36 PM, Marianne Little said:

It is so much better to do it right. Working with textures is a !§*?!!! but modeling in Blender feels so fun.

Maybe I get an epiphany in working with UV mapping. Maybe.

I bought 2 Udemu courses, the UV mapping is still not my friend.

Someone asked if I should put the tower for sale in the MP. It was in no shape for a sale. Even giving it away for free is out of the question. That is not going to exist in SL with my name on.

My Blendermade main part of the tower, to the left. Modeled of 1 mesh, and the cut for the round window have 12 edges. The starter tower of prims built in SL does not look so bad - until I turn on wireframe. Behold that mess. 😳

I am getting there with the tower, but slow. I am not sure if I shall make the roof too, I must look at it in wireframe and see how good the LOD is.

towermess.jpg

Nice!

Edited by Trinity Aironaut
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 11:03 AM, RaeLeeH said:

@Trinity Aironaut; I just wanted to say a HUGE thanks for this. I didn't even know Udemy existed, now I'm several modules into the Introductory course. Yes I've already made some mistakes and ordinarily I would have uninstalled Blender long before now as I did in the past, but I feel like I'm absorbing it this time instead of feeling overwhelmed (though that's easy enough to do as well even at this stage!) There's still a long LONG way to go and starting from scratch means while I won't get anything built in any hurry at least I'll learn the basics first (as all the mesh experts in the forum suggest we do). So again a big sincere THANK YOU for pointing me in the right direction! ❤️:D👍

And @Marianne Little I'll say it again just in case it wasn't clear the first time; you're an inspiration, so thank you too!  You've already come so far. I remember not that long ago we were discussing Mesh Generator and Mesh Studio and back then you weren't even sure you could grasp those, now you've already far surpassed them (or at least their capabilities)! Seeing what you're able to do here gives me hope for the future too so now I'm modestly following in your footsteps. I've also bookmarked this page for future reference as a little boost to keep me going. I tell myself if Marianne can do it, so can I! See, now you're teaching me!❤️ :D 👍

Ha Ha unwrapping still mystifies me ttoo.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have rediscovered my love of building doing all these Extensions & Additions, and I love these posts and all the amazing ideas I love looking at, so I put them all together to create something just for me. I intend to add animations to the tub,  pool , vanity and kitchen set. Then I'll be finished. This is everything I love in a home and everything I love about building. This build is all mesh and all mine _but not the weeds, lol). I've really feeling comfortable handling Blender and eager to learn more.

Baha 1Baha 2Baha 3Baha 4Baha 5

Baha 6Baha 7Baha 8Baha 9Baha 10Baha 11

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Trinity Aironaut said:

I have rediscovered my love of building doing all these Extensions & Additions, and I love these posts and all the amazing ideas I love looking at, so I put them all together to create something just for me. I intend to add animations to the tub,  pool , vanity and kitchen set. Then I'll be finished. This is everything I love in a home and everything I love about building. This build is all mesh and all mine _but not the weeds, lol). I've really feeling comfortable handling Blender and eager to learn more.

I never thought I could make anything at all, but now the Linden homes forces me to build, lol. I can't find an add-on I like? Well, build it!

It's really cool, isn't it? Making a builder of me, and rekindling your love for building.

I am not feeling comfortable with selling (yet), so it is all for my own pleasure. I am almost where I can sell, but then I find another detail that's not good enough. In my own home, I always have curtains and furniture, that can cover mishaps.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I never thought I could make anything at all, but now the Linden homes forces me to build, lol. I can't find an add-on I like? Well, build it!

It's really cool, isn't it? Making a builder of me, and rekindling your love for building.

I am not feeling comfortable with selling (yet), so it is all for my own pleasure. I am almost where I can sell, but then I find another detail that's not good enough. In my own home, I always have curtains and furniture, that can cover mishaps.

I do the same, save for one thing that I made back when the homes were first released and it's been steadily selling since. I wouldn't say it's at all perfect but it served my purpose and it's low LI, so if others use it, fantastic! If they don't it's cheap and copy/mod so maybe they'll still get use out of it the way they want.

While I still struggle with Blender 2.8 I can build far quicker in SL, and can usually see and edit results in real time. Honestly I prefer it this way. If only there was a way for SL to bake shadows or materials then I'd probably never worry about Blender to be honest. I can't see that ever happening so the struggle continues. But there's definitely something extremely satisfying (and liberating) about having an idea in mind and then snapping some prims together and meshing it into a product that you can use relatively inexpensively; often far less costly than buying something they you need to edit anyway. It's awesome to not have to rely on others to create your vision for you! I'd recommend everyone learn the basics at least. It's addictive, and best of all building is actually (usually) fun!

I'm still learning new things, and still have a long, long way to go in terms of learning too. I tell myself that there's always room for improvement! It doesn't matter what I build I always find flaws or some aspect I don't like, even if other people don't see them. I do, and just knowing they're there gives me an eye-twitch sometimes. So you are absolutely not alone there! It's a fine line sometimes deciding how much is good enough and at what point you can simply live with it and overlook what you don't like. Just this week I went back to remesh items I actually do sell and always planned to better optimize. After a day of uploads and tweaking numbers the end result was a lot of mesh I couldn't use and land impacts that no one would reasonably use either. It just wasn't feasible even if it seemed like a good idea at the time and some times building feels just like that. 😆

The biggest downside to building to me, or at least one of the biggest, is the fact I'm forever looking at what others do and compare my builds against theirs. Or I wonder how I could do it better. Or even improve on it, and of course try not to rip it off so completely it looks like I'm blatantly plagiarizing. 

I think if you wait too long for things to be perfect you may never sell. If you can get it to a point where you can live with it and release it with a certain degree of satisfaction that it's a job well done and better than what you already see out there on the MP (or at least don't think it's any worse!) then you should sell. That way you can always go back to it at some point and rework it if need be as technology and skills advance. That way your customers have something they can use right now and you can always update them if things improve; it's a win-win. I'm sure others who might correct me and that's okay, we all have differing opinions and standards. You have to find what feels right for you. But waiting for the right time might mean it never comes. And if my word means anything, take it from me, your creations ARE good enough to sell. I'd buy them, and we both know many others in the forums that would. Take comfort in the fact that people like what you're doing and how you're doing it, even if you don't actually do anything beyond make for yourself and post pictures. It's celebrating creativity in the end, isn't it?

7 hours ago, Trinity Aironaut said:

Baha 10

I absolutely LOVE this! It's so bright and airy. I can imagine the feel of a gentle breeze blowing through here on a warn summery day. It has a very Roman Domus or Mediterranean feel to it! ❤️ 

• Like 4

On 9/14/2019 at 1:55 AM, Marianne Little said:

Hon, I  really think we are harder on ourselves. We see mistakes where other people see good builds.

• Like 2

"While I still struggle with Blender 2.8 I can build far quicker in SL, and can usually see and edit results in real time. Honestly I prefer it this way. If only there was a way for SL to bake shadows or materials then I'd probably never worry about Blender to be honest. I can't see that ever happening so the struggle continues. But there's definitely something extremely satisfying (and liberating) about having an idea in mind and then snapping some prims together and meshing it into a product that you can use relatively inexpensively; often far less costly than buying something they you need to edit anyway. It's awesome to not have to rely on others to create your vision for you! I'd recommend everyone learn the basics at least. It's addictive, and best of all building is actually (usually) fun! "

You do know you can save pieces as you build in SL, as Dae Files, and Import them into Blender. Walls can by joined and brought back in as physical if you do not need to walk thru them. Any walls with Doors cannot be joined but can still be optimized in Blender to reduce LI when you bring them back in. To walk thru them, or any build, you must still bring them in as physical.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Trinity Aironaut said:

You do know you can save pieces as you build in SL, as Dae Files, and Import them into Blender. Walls can by joined and brought back in as physical if you do not need to walk thru them. Any walls with Doors cannot be joined but can still be optimized in Blender to reduce LI when you bring them back in. To walk thru them, or any build, you must still bring them in as physical.

Yep, I know about the importing but I won't profess to saying I've mastered it yet. I know I can do better. At this point it's still easier and quicker for me to mesh straight in SL. 

42 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

Yep, I know about the importing but I won't profess to saying I've mastered it yet. I know I can do better. At this point it's still easier and quicker for me to mesh straight in SL. 

Is THAT possible? I never knew!

I thought the only way to have mesh in SL (other than buy it) is to make it with an external program like Blender and then import it to SL.

2 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Is THAT possible? I never knew!

I thought the only way to have mesh in SL (other than buy it) is to make it with an external program like Blender and then import it to SL.

I use Mesh Generator; you can buy it from the Marketplace here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Mesh-Generator-Convert-Prim-into-Mesh/5445477

You build your object using prims, drag and drop the script provided into the object's root prim then use the Mesh Gen object to generate a .dae file to upload back into SL. That's the basic premise of it. It's relatively quick and easy to use when you get the hang of it, and though it is expensive to buy, uploads are cheap compared to similar products like Mesh Studio. If there was a way to bake materials as there are in Blender it would be perfect (for my uses at least).

• Thanks 2

Just now, Trinity Aironaut said:

Oh hell ladies, Second Life has a native mesh creator. You access from the pie menu. R Click, More, More, Save As, Collada.

See, I've been here almost 9 years and never knew that! Okay I've heard something about collada but I never bothered exploring that... well damn, now I learned something new! Or at least learned there's something else for me to play with. It's good to have alternatives! Thanks @Trinity Aironaut😲👍😁

14 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

I thought it allready had to be mesh for that. Can you really build something out of several linked prims and then dave that as Collada?

Yep, that's what I did with the walls. Built them with prims, saved as Collada, open in Blender, link all. I also took them in Edit and cleaned up, so it wasn't so many triangles. But for indoor stuff - there really is no need to worry about things that will be seen close.

But for things outside that are viewed from a distance, that should be cleaned up a bit so it can be uploaded to SL without beeing a mess of triangles.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

I thought link them first then save Collada the whole built - Did you link them in Blender?

When we link them inworld, they are kind of soft linked. If I didn't do anything in Blender, they would upload as separate parts when uploaded as Model. The LI count will not be lowered so much. I think it will be the same as building with Convex Hull.

This is a part of the Winchester terrace railing, linked in SL and exported as Collada. They are still separate prims, see a "dot" in each prim.

And in wireframe, you see that prims are an abundance of triangles. The root prim is outlined in the yellow color.

dot.jpg

dot1.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Leora Jacobus said:

I thought link them first then save Collada the whole built - Did you link them in Blender?

Linking an entire build in sl before taking it into blender is not a good idea, it Confuses Blender and the App has no way of knowing which parts need to be solid and which need to be phantom. Yeah, lol I know from experience. Better to build & link, save, export to blender and join and clean up in pieces. Then export and upload to SL and put together inworld. Just remember anything you need to walk thru can not be joined in blender and everything that must be sat on, walked on or lived in must be uploaded as a physical object. The higher the physical setting the better the piece holds up inworld but the heavier the LI.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.