Make different colored walls in your Linden Home

Marianne Little

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was asked to do a tutorial. I am trying, but remember I am a total newbie when it comes to mesh and Blender. I can import and export in Blender, and only one ting. But it was the thing I need to use.

I am sure many of you can build, but since some don't, I start with how to make seamless inner walls.

We are using Copy Selection, I find this the fastest way to build.

Images from left to right:

1 : Always start in a corner. Edit one or two prims, stretch and flatten them so they just touch the walls.

2: Choose one of the prims next to a window and stretch it wider. And here, do NOT have "Stretch both sides" checked. You just want to pull the wall against you.

3: Enable Copy Selection, it has a wand symbol. Check the three first boxes. Select the prim in edit mode, choose the wand and click the side.

4: As you can see, the copied prim is perfectly aligned.

1333950521_buildwalls1.thumb.jpg.de8821f0fa31a50d6550e9c3f386c3cb.jpg

1: I have the wrong tool selected. It should be stretch. I have tinted one of the prims grey, so you can see the contrast. This has nothing to do with the building, it is just because the prims tend to blend together, so you can't see where one ends and the other begins.

2: Fit the prim over the window so it is aligned with the window corners. Use copy selection again, to copy the prim over the window.

3: Pull the copy prim down to the floor and align it under the window. Use copy selection again, on the side I have marked with an arrow.

4: Stretch this last prim so it fits to the wall, to the next corner. Now you flatten all the prims and repeat this with all your walls.

When done, select all the wall prims and link them into one object. Take a copy of it. Go to a sandbox or where you can build without having stuff around.

1122177811_buildwalls2.thumb.jpg.f1758765b42be6d7296a10176869fbb2.jpg

If you are very picky, you will see that the wall color continue in the window. See the arrow.

This does not matter much, if you have one of the default wall lightest colors. But if you have one of the dark colors, you will see it. If you know your default walls won't be strong color, or you use hanging curtains, you can skip it... Or make window trim. I did not do it, but that's next. Adding trim to the windows.

910332905_windowtrim.jpg.9e840cb7a413bda84bc735d71df776db.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 24

1: Rez your walls (and one floor) in a sandbox. Look close, make sure you have all the prims. If you have missed one, teleport back, link it, and take a new copy.

This is why I asked you to take a copy, not TAKE the walls from your house. Saves you for a lot of work if you have to align the walls again and link the missing prim to it.

2: Select the whole build and set it all to 100% transparent. I have used ctrl + alt + T so you can see it. I do this because the sides you don't see, the edges and the ones facing the wall, should not be rendered. Just do it, I can't explain why, but it is good.

3: Then, use SELECT FACE and choose all the insides. Set them to transparency = 0.

4: Do it with all the faces where you would paint or use wallpaper in real life. And the floor, if you have any of them. I have selected the blank color here, instead of the wood. The blank color is in Firestorm, I don't know if it is in the default LL viewer. No matter what you do, don't texture the walls. Does not matter if you have full permission textures. It saves you from crying if you can't save this build to your computer, and you think all the work was for nothing.

656546893_buildwalls3.thumb.jpg.b1d6405ab71ca918ca6f33ddcba34d40.jpg

1: Select face again, and color the walls you want to have different colors or textures on. Second life can have mesh imports with 8 different faces = maximum 8 colors. I needed just six. I have 2 contrast walls, one in each of the main rooms. If you don't color them, all the walls will take one color or one texture.

2: Walk through your build and check that all the faces you need to see is visible and colored. Make sure you haven't missed a prim over a door or under a window.

3: Now comes the fun part. Select your build. Choose more - more - save as Collada.

4: Name it and save to your computer. Only default texture and tint can be saved. Saving as Collada will fail, if you have used a texture you haven't uploaded yourself. You must be the creator of it all. Besides, we texture this later, in SL.

2059726943_buildwalls4.thumb.jpg.9130ab54be80b6cdf3162110c3b2006d.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 19

Install Blender on your computer. I skip this stage, because I had someone install it for me.

1: Your opening screen is already intimidating. Just click outside the picture, and it disappears and is replaced with a cube.

2: Click x on your keyboard and delete the cube.

3: Choose Edit from the top left, and Import - Collada.

4: Find your Collada file and upload it.

1825652798_Blender1.thumb.jpg.bd26e7051ad424e540f25927a6d52c39.jpg

1: It should look like this. The black sides is where it will be transparent in Second Life. Your computer, and all others, does not have to render them. The upload is also lighter when you have transparent sides. I zoomed in so you can see the number of objects. It is 31. You could link the prims in Second Life and set them to Convex Hull. 16 LI is still too much for me.

2: Find "Join" on your left side, it is under "Edit". Press it and your build should change to this! One object. If you wonder what the other symbols in Blender is, I have no idea.

3: Go to file - export - Collada.

4. Name your work, choose where you will save it (Documents, Images, another place). Click Export.

3: 1527486827_Blender2.thumb.jpg.7e71f145641874da29080583e9d706a5.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 18

In Second Life, you can choose between the Main Grid and the Test grid. Uploads is free in the Test Grid, but I skip that point. I have already written so much. You can search the Forums for Test grid or Aditi.

1: Open your inventory and cloose Upload - Model

I also skip the details of how you can be qualified for mesh uploads. SL tells you it in the upload window, and also where you qualify.

2: Find your mesh and upload it. You will se it sharp with perfect edges and joints. Try to calculate Weights and Fee. Look at the numbers. It could be a weight of 5, 6, 7 LI... depending on the size. But I want lower LI.

3: Since this mesh will be viewed close up in a building, I reduce the LOD and the triangles until the build start to fall apart. This would be a bad thing to do if it was meant to be viewed outdoors. But change the numbers, calculate weights and fee again until you think the LI is low enough.

4: My uploaded mesh has a LI of 1, and even viewed on LOD 2 in Firestorm and outdoors, it holds the shape well enough for me. I don't need LOD 4 to see it.

You can not walk inside the mesh walls! Select the mesh and set it to Phantom. It does not need to have Physics, the Linden Home walls is solid, and will stop you from walking through. This is just a decorative inside.

832809382_Import1.thumb.jpg.91e9cd6be35a5119d51629311b43f366.jpg

Now to the texturing.

1: Select your mesh and tint it white, before you texture the faces. Select your mesh and change "Mapping" to Planar.

2: Select a face, and find a texture for it. The horizontal and vertical scale was too big for the pattern, I changed it from 2 to 0.5.

3: This repeat look ok. I picked the first textures I found, did not think about if they are pretty, or match.

4: One of the walls in this room had a different color. If you want, you can use this as a contast wall. If not, use the same texture there as on the other walls. Maybe you look at the right side, and think the textured wall continues a bit in the other room. It does not. The Linden home walls is too thick for that.

If you wanted a contrast wall, you had to color it in another color before you export it as Collada from Second Life. It is too late now.

Now rez in your home and start to edit it in place. This will be a lot of careful moving. But it is worth it?

I am so exhausted of this tutorial now ... 😁 If you know of a better way, please write it here, so we can learn the right way of doing it. I am a newbie. ☺️

Texture.thumb.jpg.efcb7d7f6d6d38c415277c059eea53b3.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 22

45 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

In Second Life, you can choose between the Main Grid and the Test grid. Uploads is free in the Test Grid, but I skip that point. I have already written so much. You can search the Forums for Test grid or Aditi.

1: Open your inventory and cloose Upload - Model

I also skip the details of how you can be qualified for mesh uploads. SL tells you it in the upload window, and also where you qualify.

2: Find your mesh and upload it. You will se it sharp with perfect edges and joints. Try to calculate Weights and Fee. Look at the numbers. It could be a weight of 5, 6, 7 LI... depending on the size. But I want lower LI.

3: Since this mesh will be viewed close up in a building, I reduce the LOD and the triangles until the build start to fall apart. This would be a bad thing to do if it was meant to be viewed outdoors. But change the numbers, calculate weights and fee again until you think the LI is low enough.

4: My uploaded mesh has a LI of 1, and even viewed on LOD 2 in Firestorm and outdoors, it holds the shape well enough for me. I don't need LOD 4 to see it.

You can not walk inside the mesh walls! Select the mesh and set it to Phantom. It does not need to have Physics, the Linden Home walls is solid, and will stop you from walking through. This is just a decorative inside.

832809382_Import1.thumb.jpg.91e9cd6be35a5119d51629311b43f366.jpg

Now to the texturing.

1: Select your mesh and tint it white, before you texture the faces. Select your mesh and change "Mapping" to Planar.

2: Select a face, and find a texture for it. The horizontal and vertical scale was too big for the pattern, I changed it from 2 to 0.5.

3: This repeat look ok. I picked the first textures I found, did not think about if they are pretty, or match.

4: One of the walls in this room had a different color. If you want, you can use this as a contast wall. If not, use the same texture there as on the other walls. Maybe you look at the right side, and think the textured wall continues a bit in the other room. It does not. The Linden home walls is too thick for that.

If you wanted a contrast wall, you had to color it in another color before you export it as Collada from Second Life. It is too late now.

Now rez in your home and start to edit it in place. This will be a lot of careful moving. But it is worth it?

I am so exhausted of this tutorial now ... 😁 If you know of a better way, please write it here, so we can learn the right way of doing it. I am a newbie. ☺️

Texture.thumb.jpg.efcb7d7f6d6d38c415277c059eea53b3.jpg

Thank you dearly for these fine tutorials, Marianne! :) These will definitely help me getting started on mesh too.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I was asked to do a tutorial. I am trying, but remember I am a total newbie when it comes to mesh and Blender. I can import and export in Blender, and only one ting. But it was the thing I need to use.

I am sure many of you can build, but since some don't, I start with how to make seamless inner walls.

1 : Always start in a corner. Edit one or two prims, stretch and flatten them so they just touch the walls.

2: Choose one of the prims next to a window and stretch it wider. And here, do NOT have "Stretch both sides" checked. You just want to pull the wall against you.

3: Enable Copy Selection, it has a wand symbol. Check the three first boxes. Select the prim in edit mode, choose the wand and click the side.

1: I have the wrong tool selected. It should be stretch. I have tinted one of the prims grey, so you can see the contrast. This has nothing to do with the building, it is just because the prims tend to blend together, so you can't see where one ends and the other begins.

2: Fit the prim over the window so it is aligned with the window corners. Use copy selection again, to copy the prim over the window.

3: Pull the copy prim down to the floor and align it under the window. Use copy selection again, on the side I have marked with an arrow.

4: Stretch this last prim so it fits to the wall, to the next corner. Now you flatten all the prims and repeat this with all your walls.

When done, select all the wall prims and link them into one object. Take a copy of it. Go to a sandbox or where you can build without having stuff around.

If you are very picky, you will see that the wall color continue in the window. See the arrow.

This does not matter much, if you have one of the default wall lightest colors. But if you have one of the dark colors, you will see it. If you know your default walls won't be strong color, or you use hanging curtains, you can skip it... Or make window trim. I did not do it, but that's next. Adding trim to the windows.

Thank you so much, Marianne. I really appreciate the work you put into this :)

It looks beautifully clear...

Emma :) 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I honestly didn't even know I could make something from prims and then export to make a single mesh piece. No idea whatsoever. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, your tutorial here has made a difference in my SL. I wish there was a hug emoji in the reaction part!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Thank you, @Marianne Little! I would not have the smallest idea of where to start to make my own mesh walls, but now I have your tutorial to reference. All the photos along with your explanations are very helpful! :)

I have like a thousand faux shadows on my Windlass. I think linking those together into 1 mesh object might be a real useful thing to do, thx to Marianne. :)

• Like 4

I did it! And I have to say, @Marianne Little , the guide didn't miss a thing. I had to look at it for every step, and was amazed at how easy it was. My only hitch was when I brought it home and tried to texture it.. I thought I was done! But it wasn't taking a texture.. Back to the guide I went, and you had that part too, haha! One LI for my bedroom walls and floor. I'm so happy right now, not just because now I can change up things at my Linden home, but because I always loved making stuff, but gave up when I was trying to figgure blender out. I seemed to not be getting it, making things from scratch there, even with video tutorials. I finally decided it wasn't going to be any fun. Now I can still prim build and it won't be obsolete :)

Just throwing a pic up of new bedroom. I wanted carpet just in that room, and a cozier feel with wallpaper. I'm still finding textures to use, so it's not the finished product, but I'll be satisfied eventually. Thank you again.. I hope it helps a bunch of people like me!

New walls&floor.png

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Morena Tully said:

I did it! And I have to say, @Marianne Little , the guide didn't miss a thing. I had to look at it for every step, and was amazed at how easy it was. My only hitch was when I brought it home and tried to texture it.. I thought I was done! But it wasn't taking a texture.. Back to the guide I went, and you had that part too, haha! One LI for my bedroom walls and floor. I'm so happy right now, not just because now I can change up things at my Linden home, but because I always loved making stuff, but gave up when I was trying to figgure blender out. I seemed to not be getting it, making things from scratch there, even with video tutorials. I finally decided it wasn't going to be any fun. Now I can still prim build and it won't be obsolete :)

Just throwing a pic up of new bedroom. I wanted carpet just in that room, and a cozier feel with wallpaper. I'm still finding textures to use, so it's not the finished product, but I'll be satisfied eventually. Thank you again.. I hope it helps a bunch of people like me!

New walls&floor.png

I'm so happy that the tutorial worked!!

I wasn't sure if I was writing too much, too little, or missed a point. Phew. What a relief! 🙏❤️

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kiramanell said:

I have like a thousand faux shadows on my Windlass. I think linking those together into 1 mesh object might be a real useful thing to do, thx to Marianne. :)

I think you need different color on the different shadows. Even if they are grey shadows, I assume you need them as separate faces, so you can adjust the shadows individually.

It is still going to reduce the number. And you can see it better yourself, what need to be treated as a separate face, and what not. If you have the same size shadow and use the same shadow texture, you can try to color them the same, so they work as a linkset. This will be trial and error.

And my own trial and error didn't cost me so much. I was too impatient to use the test grid much... logging off and logging in to Aditi took too long time. 😉 But I had only one failed upload on the walls. My next project, that's a few more fails...

I must learn to tame my impatience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Really a wonderfull tutorial @Marianne Little - thanks a lot for it!

I NEVER did ANYTHING in Blender (besides downloading and installing it), but now I can't wait to get home from my journey to my real tower- computer to try this. Might be that will be my very first homemade MESH?

I DID see the beginnings of it when I visited your home last week. I saw the bathroom you were making for the Continental and went home and copied it ... just the wall and the door. I looked at your door and bought the same in the MP but I had  problems making it open just the way I wanted till I found an old OpenSim Doorscript that worked just right.

Now I am happy with my little bathroom, put a 1 prim floor with tiles in it  but was quite content to have the walls like they are in the sleeping room. If I manage to do your tutorial there will be tiles on the walls aswell! :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Morena Tully said:

.... I'm so happy right now, not just because now I can change up things at my Linden home, but because I always loved making stuff, but gave up when I was trying to figgure blender out. I seemed to not be getting it, making things from scratch there, even with video tutorials. I finally decided it wasn't going to be any fun. Now I can still prim build and it won't be obsolete :) ....

That is JUST like I felt!! When I tried to get accustomed to Blender it was nothing but a horror- trip so I decided to give up!!

Now I have new hope I might be able to use it after all!

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Morena Tully said:

New walls&floor.png

Love what you did, there! ❤️ Beautiful decoration, and good overall colopr-matching. And I especially love that unique curtain-style.

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Really a wonderfull tutorial @Marianne Little - thanks a lot for it!

I NEVER did ANYTHING in Blender (besides downloading and installing it), but now I can't wait to get home from my journey to my real tower- computer to try this. Might be that will be my very first homemade MESH?

I DID see the beginnings of it when I visited your home last week. I saw the bathroom you were making for the Continental and went home and copied it ... just the wall and the door. I looked at your door and bought the same in the MP but I had  problems making it open just the way I wanted till I found an old OpenSim Doorscript that worked just right.

Now I am happy with my little bathroom, put a 1 prim floor with tiles in it  but was quite content to have the walls like they are in the sleeping room. If I manage to do your tutorial there will be tiles on the walls aswell! :)

Yes, isn't the "Inspect" function great? 😁 I did the same in Jake Vordun's house. I saw where he had the door and the bed, and figured out it was the best placement.

I use the double doors in my kitchen extension. For the bathroom, I experiment with different glass textures, tint and transparency. I am not finished with it yet. I plan to do the bathroom and bedroom in one, but I must add fittings in the windows, so the wall color don't show.

The raised terrace we were sitting on... I have made a small version of it. It is so homemade looking, and I don't mean in a good way. It was eyeballing the posts placement, and the physics.... the big sisal carpet act as physics so I don't fall through. 😄 Need more work. But it looks ok when I close my good eye. 🧐 And it is my mesh. (not the steps up)

Plus I am rebuilding the kitchen extension in mesh. In the future.

All I need now is one kind soul to tell me how to remove most of the triangles in Blender. I know how to import and join the prim build, but I desperately need to optimize it , reduce polygons and simplify.

I have tried to see @Chic Aeonvideo tutorials, but it is made a bit too complicated for me. It is not many who build in SL, and only fresh up their work in Blender.

Everyone start their tutorials with how to make things from scratch in Blender. I need a really creative moment, on how to work with the imported prim build in Blender.

The cheapest prim to mesh converter on the Marketplace was 1999 L, and do the same as I did here. The most expensive one is 5000 L.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Morena Tully said:

New walls&floor.png

Looks fantastic! So warm and inviting.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I have tried to see @Chic Aeonvideo tutorials, but it is made a bit too complicated for me. It is not many who build in SL, and only fresh up their work in Blender.

Learning Blender IS a journey and a time commitment.  While the new walls for you home may not be the MOST correct with the LEAST number of triangles :D   I am sure that they are still very low in complexity and for what you (and others) are doing they should work just fine.   The Blender police will not be knocking at your door --- at least not this branch of them LOL.  Sometimes "perfect" isn't really all that important. 

Congrats and thanks for sharing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2019 at 4:27 AM, Marianne Little said:

NEVER MIDN SHE ALREADY EXPLAIEND HOW TO EXPORT TO COLLIDA THEN TO BLENDER AND TO MESH FRAMING. 

Edited by anthonytorino
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, anthonytorino said:

I cna send you mesh walls, window frames, archways to divide rooms that are mapped and will match the walls (and shadows) better then prim and went linked be lower prim. You can then over lay the texture of choice or change the color.

That's so nice, but now I have three rooms and one floor in just one LI. 😉 So I think the walls work well. I am interested in looking at your window frames, so I can learn from how you made them. ❤️

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Emma Krokus said:

Perhaps YOU would show us how...?

;) 

It was great of Marianne to even show us any way at all. Many people won't show you how to really "maximize"(or do things at all) as it'll potentially cut in to their revenue if they sell these things. Not saying who you're referring to won't, but just moreso saying don't be surprised if they don't.. or anybody doesn't.

That's the biggest issue with SL and why I haven't been even able to find somebody to coach me on Blender; people are afraid of another person cutting in to their area.

Edited by s2Pandora
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, s2Pandora said:

It was great of Marianne to even show us any way at all. Many people won't show you how to really "maximize"(or do things at all) as it'll potentially cut in to their revenue if they sell these things. Not saying who you're referring to won't, but just moreso saying don't be surprised if they don't.. or anybody doesn't.

That's the biggest issue with SL and why I haven't been even able to find somebody to coach me on Blender; people are afraid of another person cutting in to their area.

I live in hope!

And Marianne did a fantastic job. The generosity she showed in spirit and giving her time is so appreciated.

Maybe just walking us through how to optimize this particular project only wouldn't give any way too many hard-won secrets... ?

One of my greatest pleasures in SL has been to share knowledge and collaborate with other people. I have learned so much from people who generously shared with me. And taking everything that's been - generously - left modifiable by creators - apart! (.... ok and broken stuff...).

I will forever be grateful for the help and the fun I have had.

Bellisseria seems such a welcoming and helpful community and it fills my heart with joy to see this.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.