Should I Come Back To SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Based on Marketplace, I'm guessing you might find "Bakes on Mesh" an interesting opportunity. I don't know the feature in enough detail to guess what an imaginative creator might do with it that was impossible before, I just know that every time there's a new SL functionality, somebody comes up with an unexpected way to use it -- sometimes with L$ reward.

That's the thing about how SL has changed: It's exactly as before, in that it changes all the time. That's half the fun.

On 7/4/2019 at 4:34 AM, Cathereine Night said:

So.. is SL worth coming back to? I figured it would get stale for many but level out eventually with die-hard long time fans and some new curious people mixed in... has that happened? 

My biggest reason to come back would probably be to create things again.. it always gave me a sense of joy to hear back from my customers about how much they loved stuff I made... how they used it in their homes.. or in a roleplay etc. My long time SL store co-owner, my best friend.. my late husband, passed away in 2017 after a battle with ALS. I miss him and would like to honor him with more creations like the ones we used to make together.

Or.. is it really slowly tapering off as far as traffic goes for this platform?

Love you all!

Cathereine Night - Owner of the now sleepy AlleyCat Studios (and a bunch more!)

Short answer: yes. 

Longwinded rant: You should at least come back, dip your proverbial toes, and see if you feel inspired when you're back in the thick of it. Creativity is still here and still going strong, as much as the inventing of new medium is always spelling doom and gloom for whatever processes went before (the prim vs mesh war, for example). If you are truly driven to create you will, and I think honouring your late husband sounds like a wonderful concept; even the smallest gesture can keep the memories alive regardless whether that's with you, other people, or spread out there into the far reaches of cyberspace. I didn't know him, but as you mentioned he was a creative soul, I think keeping that essence alive is a wonderful testament not just to him but to you both. And you really can't put a price on satisfaction of the creative process, of bringing something, anything to life.

As for traffic, it isn't where it used to be years ago, no, but it does seem to be holding steady even if the dwindling numbers are happening reportedly slow. Who knows what the future holds. With the release of Bellisseria (as others have mentioned) there has been a rekindling of community spirit, so you may be reboarding the ship at just the right time! (And yes I said ship as in boat, not s*** as in excrement. You'll find a lot of negativity sprinkled rather liberally through the forums too, but they don't speak for all, fortunately).

Lots of love and all the best regardless what you decide. :) 

Do come back. If only just to gussy yourself up "mesh style" and check your skill-set as much has changed. I've been a little ill of late but SL me remains in superb health and l0.0kin good! xD Be well on guard for those who may treat you ❤️ insensitively. Plenty of them out there.  

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Haha 1

The rate at which concurrent use is decreasing is slowing. There are generally between 25,000 to 54,000 concurrent users online. I have a stats tracker I use that records high and low and the rate people log in and out along with the total number of people that have ever signed up, which I compare on a monthly basis to see how many signed up in the month. 

In June 345,000+/- people signed up... about 11,500 per day... If that is spread throughout the day that is 480 per hour. As I write this there are currently 43,570 concurrent users with about 60 people a minute signing in. Roughly 8 of those 60 would be first time signups. Looked at another way, roughly 1% of concurrent users would be first timers.

Historically people stay active for about 2 years. But, that is a really old stat. I suspect it has changed.

Ebbe, CEO, said in 2017 people took US$60 million out of SL. At a recent meeting he said people took US$64 million out last year. I assume he meant 2018 not the last 12 months.

It is very difficult to know how SL is actually doing. We can't know how many of the 345k sign ups are actually new to SL people. Or how many first timers are actually in SL. The Lab does not publish much information. The mental midgets that hang in the 'Safe Hub' landing areas have me wondering why they are in SL. But, it appears to be a changing crowd. Whether they are leaving SL or finding there are other things to do... I can't tell.

I do know I am selling more stuff now than I ever have.

So, if this is a businesses decision... then yes. If this is a social decision, I would need to know if you are cute, wealthy, friendly, and your political and sexual preferences... (teasing).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

If this is a social decision, I would need to know if you are cute, wealthy, friendly, and your political and sexual preferences... (teasing).

No, no, no, a-political and hell no ! :P

;)

Edited by TDD123
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.