Should I Come Back To SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I joined back in 2005 and saw the surge and subsequent rise and fall and roller coaster of popularity for Second Life. What always drew me in most were three main things... the creativity (making stuff!), the music/arts scene and the roleplaying. There have ALWAYS been "SL is Doomed" threads since forever so I just roll my eyes when I see those.. but having not played much other than to wave at frends and answer customer questions for stuff I still sell occasionally.. I have not been really active since probably 2014-2015 or so.

So.. is SL worth coming back to? I figured it would get stale for many but level out eventually with die-hard long time fans and some new curious people mixed in... has that happened? 

My biggest reason to come back would probably be to create things again.. it always gave me a sense of joy to hear back from my customers about how much they loved stuff I made... how they used it in their homes.. or in a roleplay etc. My long time SL store co-owner, my best friend.. my late husband, passed away in 2017 after a battle with ALS. I miss him and would like to honor him with more creations like the ones we used to make together.

Or.. is it really slowly tapering off as far as traffic goes for this platform?

Love you all!

Cathereine Night - Owner of the now sleepy AlleyCat Studios (and a bunch more!)

Edited by Cathereine Night
  • Like 7

Hi Catherine - I'm so very sorry to hear about your husband.

I personally think that SL is more vibrant and alive than ever. I'm sure others will disagree with me (it's one of the things done best in the forums!) but with the building of Bellisseria and the excitement generated around that, I feel more involved and invigorated to continue in SL than I have in a long time.

• Like 7

Sure! Come on back! I took seven years off to do the child-rearing thing, and came back last year to so many great new advances. Unlike others, I don’t think SL is on the way down, and if it is, I’ll enjoy it as long as I can.

And I am very sorry about your husband. Honoring his memory with new creations sounds like a lovely idea.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cathereine Night said:

I joined back in 2005 and saw the surge and subsequent rise and fall and roller coaster of popularity for Second Life. What always drew me in most were three main things... the creativity (making stuff!), the music/arts scene and the roleplaying. There have ALWAYS been "SL is Doomed" threads since forever so I just roll my eyes when I see those.. but having not played much other than to wave at frends and answer customer questions for stuff I still sell occasionally.. I have not been really active since probably 2014-2015 or so.

So.. is SL worth coming back to? I figured it would get stale for many but level out eventually with die-hard long time fans and some new curious people mixed in... has that happened? 

My biggest reason to come back would probably be to create things again.. it always gave me a sense of joy to hear back from my customers about how much they loved stuff I made... how they used it in their homes.. or in a roleplay etc. My long time SL store co-owner, my best friend.. my late husband, passed away in 2017 after a battle with ALS. I miss him and would like to honor him with more creations like the ones we used to make together.

Love you all!

I remember you. My main is a Night. Or was. I hope you do come back.

My condolences on your loss.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cathereine Night said:

What is Bellisseria? I love seeing what new things have come to SL. I will also Google it but if you also have links let me know!

I'm at work and don't have any links, but it's the continent of new Linden Homes and it's proven to be hugely popular. You can see photos of a lot of the homes, boats, and gardens in the thread below.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cathereine Night said:

Love you all!

I recently came back after a long absence. I "think" I've finally figured out mesh and given up on my once popular twitter feed (everyone's on Facebook now, go figure!) but there are still lots of great things to learn. If you'd like to add me as a friend, we can sort it out together. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Cathereine Night said:

My biggest reason to come back would probably be to create things again.

The world has gone mesh since the old days.  It is a different form of creation now but if you can do 3D modeling you will probably still enjoy it.

And welcome back, no matter what the reason.  There are many of us around that have taken multi-year breaks and come back again.

• Like 4

I hope you come back to see if SL is still for you.  There are lots of cool recent developments for building and content creation.

If you do, please look me up in-world.  I'd love to invite you to see the community I am part of - four sims of art, music and creative people.  

i guess the only person who can make anything interesting it's the person itself, so if you feel like want to come back and try some kind of new stuff like making the job of two with just one i think you will find yourself absort in no time, recently i've found a lot of youtubers or vbloggers and it's so fun to watch at their work, same with creators, it's always fun to get impressed by awesome or creative things.

i'm not sure if i was of any help but guess you got my point, good luck thinking about it and try always to live a way you will never regret and always get some fun.♥

16 hours ago, Cathereine Night said:

Love you all!

Catherine ,

I stopped making new content over 5 years ago . Most people in Sl now a days do not want to purchase content, they want to get it for low cost  or  free. When  we started Sl there were no free accounts or a Lindex,  We all sold our goods  and people bought them. If you just want to have fun and have no interest in making any financial game, that is cool.  The days we remember, (When everyone had l$ because they were premium accounts )  are long  gone , All I do  with the l$ i get  is maintain  what I have ,  Now with the price increases, I doubt I can continue paying for my tier on my  stipend)

If you want to come back for fun, Great , If you want to  come back  for profit,  forget it .  Some people do still make money but they are getting  few and far  between.

Edited by Allen Parks
correct spelling.
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Allen Parks said:

Catherine ,

I stopped making new content over 5 years ago . Most people in Sl now a days do not want to purchase content, they want to get it for low cost  or  free. When  we started Sl there were no free accounts or a Lindex,  We all sold our goods  and people bought them. If you just want to have fun and have no interest in making any financial game, that is cool.  The days we remember, (When everyone had l$ because they were premium accounts )  are long  gone , All I do  with the l$ i get  is maintain  what I have ,  Now with the price increases, I doubt I can continue paying for my tier on my  stipend)

If you want to come back for fun, Great , If you want to  come back  for profit,  forget it .  Some people do still make money but they are getting  few and far  between.

Plenty of us still purchase stuff even us basic accounts, that we dont purchase Allen sparks stuff says more about his stuff than it does about sl residents. Just a thought

Edited by KanryDrago
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Allen Parks said:

Catherine ,

You must have been in a completely different SL from the one I was in. There were no "premium" accounts back then. Everyone had to pay to be in SL. There were lifetime accounts, though, but most people couldn't or wouldn't plop down a few hundred bucks for one and they were only offered for a short period of time, never to be seen or heard from again.

As for not buying things in SL... Every day I deal with the frustration of not having the Ls I need for the things I need to buy for my builds. Every. Single. Day. I haven't given up. Not going to either. I love building too much.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

9 hours ago, Allen Parks said:

Most people in Sl now a days do not want to purchase content, they want to get it for low cost  or  free.

With all the sales events booming?  http://seraphimsl.com/ What gave you that idea?

2 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

Now with the price increases, I doubt I can continue paying for my tier on my  stipend

Are you talking about the Premium fees that are finally adjusted for inflation, after 16 years? Just cancel Premium and buy the L$ directly. With what you will save, you'll be able to rent more land that you had.

9 hours ago, Allen Parks said:

If you want to come back for fun, Great , If you want to  come back  for profit,  forget it .

You don't even know the OP's skills or talents.

@Cathereine Night, come back, explore, see what's changed, meet new people, see with your own eyes rather than go with other people's opinions. Look around and decide for yourself if you want to stay.

• Like 5

On 7/3/2019 at 2:34 PM, Cathereine Night said:

Love you all!

First, I'm so sorry for your loss.  Widowhood sucks.  I think  coming back to something you both loved is a great way to honor him, and being in a place where you can have support, distraction and even fun when you need it, and be able to log off of  people and being 'on' when you need to be left alone is a good thing.  I have found SL to be a healing place.  It could be what you need.  And of course, the chance for creativity is a very cool thing and this place has lots of opportunities for that. 

People love it when old and beloved vendors come back.  trust me.  So many times I find something i love, but the vendor isn't around anymore...  so come on back and delight people.

Yeah.  When I joined SL in 2015 (i think it was 2015!! it feels like I've been here forever!) I thought it was dead.. there was no one here... then I found out that there were people all over if I only knew where to look.  I made friends.  I got lovely free clothes... eventually, after about 6 months, I decided not to wear the same clothes every day!!

I think as long as there are people who can dress up in clothes they could never wear in real life, fly and teleport & wear wings... dance to the music of the 50s, 60s, 70s, and beyond.... and have lots of pixel sex and of course kitty cats😎🐱, there will be some form of second life. I've visited other grids -- they're no second life. No, IMO, SL is not going away anytime soon.  And if you come back, there will be one more cool person in second life!

Look me up sometime!

Blue

Edited by DeepBlueJoy
  • Like 1

The big change in SL from 2005 or so, is that people no long make hundreds of US$ per month for making and selling junk, or for providing erotic text services.  

If you are here for creativity and fun, its still a nice place.

• Like 1

Cathereine, 

my apologies I should have said sorry to hear about your husband. I would say definitely come back. I came here to help cope with being adrift. Still had rl friends but they were all enmeshed in their own lives. Here I found something that kept me going, I found friends from all over the world to chat to and share with. I found companionship and romance. More I found the confidence to bounce back. I even found more potentially and I am meeting a girl I found here tomorrow morning for a coffee in rl. Been a long time since I invited some poor girl out for coffee ^^

Edited by KanryDrago
  • Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.