That pesky tick box on the terms and condition page….a question to the powers that be

Arquet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@Patch Linden   

That terms and condition page… must it absolutely occur after selecting the Linden Home? Couldn't it be placed BEFORE the home selection page, and be valid for the whole of the current browser session? That would be one less hurdle to get through… (Only having to click that box once at the beginning of the process, and without the time pressure...)

Admittedly, I have no idea whether it would make a difference… 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Arquet said:

@Patch Linden   

That terms and condition page… must it absolutely occur after selecting the Linden Home? Couldn't it be placed BEFORE the home selection page, and be valid for the whole of the current browser session? That would be one less hurdle to get through… (Only having to click that box once at the beginning of the process, and without the time pressure...)

Admittedly, I have no idea whether it would make a difference… 

You could try setting your browser window to a higher zoom level which might make it at least a bit easier to click in the stupid little box.

I'm pretty sure they are not going to re-code the web pages just to make it a bit easier on folks here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You could try setting your browser window to a higher zoom level which might make it at least a bit easier to click in the stupid little box.

I'm pretty sure they are not going to re-code the web pages just to make it a bit easier on folks here.

I tried that, but then I have to use the scroll bars to get to the button to send the page, so it's just cumbersome another way...

You're very probably right 😄 but I figured there was no harm putting that out there... 😊   Nothing to lose (hopefully).

• Like 1

Or could it be available before we get to the home selection?  We agree to be there, we agree to the conditions and then onto the homes and choosing one?  That way it's dealt with, out of the way, you have agreed to the conditions, and it doesn't come up when you are selecting it.

• Like 1

The terms tick box should most definitely be located before the theme selection page in the current setup. Why it is even necessary and not just included in the SL TOS is a mystery to me. The placement is obviously an error.

Turning house-getting into a game of chance is fair enough .. clearly the most fair system given the supply/demand ratio, but coupling chance with a test of dexterity is wholly inappropriate and certainly not in the spirit of equal housing opportunity

Please stop this disadvantaging of a large loyal minority who are incapacitated to some degree.

thank you

another idea: Perhaps it can be made to remember being clicked previously. Why can't it take "yes" for an answer.

Edited by DaSein Noyes

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Has anybody opened a JIRA requesting that it be changed?  That is how changes get done in SL.

How is going through an assembly of techies more effective than getting Patch Linden, who is in a position to demand a change, aware of the seriousness of the issue?

If he knows, and nothing happens ... then that's that

I understand the need to agree to the specific conditions that come with having a Linden Home, BUT, the moment I name and click on NEXT I would want to dispose of a certain time/number of seconds to finalize it. And during those seconds, the home is "reserved" for me upon finalizing.

As it is now, I do not have the slightest chance of getting a home.

Speed test.JPG

Edited by AudreyIshere
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Vega Firelyte said:

Or could it be available before we get to the home selection?  We agree to be there, we agree to the conditions and then onto the homes and choosing one?  That way it's dealt with, out of the way, you have agreed to the conditions, and it doesn't come up when you are selecting it.

Sadly, I don't think that's how it works. As with any EULA/TOS, you press 'Agree' when you're about to receive/use the product, not sooner. Naturally, because of the shortage, you may think "Of course I want one!" But, under normal circumstances, one could also just as easily navigate away from the Homes page, before actually finalizing the 'purchase.' That's why any 'Terms & Conditions' agree/decline button really needs to be at the end of the process.

There's nothing preventing them from making that box a little bigger, though. :)

3 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Sadly, I don't think that's how it works. As with any EULA/TOS, you press 'Agree' when you're about to receive/use the product, not sooner. Naturally, because of the shortage, you may think "Of course I want one!" But, under normal circumstances, one could also just as easily navigate away from the Homes page, before actually finalizing the 'purchase.' That's why any 'Terms & Conditions' agree/decline button really needs to be at the end of the process.

There's nothing preventing them from making that box a little bigger, though. :)

I do understand it and it's a confirmation that you really do intend to get it and fully agree to the conditions, but one could hope or fantasize about it being out of the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Did you actually read the "terms and conditions"? It is a link to

Linden Lab Official:Mainland policies

It's stuff that belongs on the land covenant page and not as a block to getting your paid account perk linden home. Implying that it's a necessary confirmation page is misleading ... It is no such thing

I challenge you to find even one item on that page that relates to linden homes in any way. Someone could have taken 10 minutes to link the agreement box to some linden home rules but they couldn't be bothered. It's not just an annoyance ..it's a pointless annoyance

Edited by DaSein Noyes

46 minutes ago, DaSein Noyes said:

Did you actually read the "terms and conditions"? It is a link to

Linden Lab Official:Mainland policies

It's stuff that belongs on the land covenant page and not as a block to getting your paid account perk linden home. Implying that it's a necessary confirmation page is misleading ... It is no such thing

I challenge you to find even one item on that page that relates to linden homes in any way. Someone could have taken 10 minutes to link the agreement box to some linden home rules but they couldn't be bothered. It's not just an annoyance ..it's a pointless annoyance

Bellisseria is part of Mainland. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Bellisseria is part of Mainland. 

Thank you for that crucial piece of information.

Those who read with comprehension (it's here : http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Mainland_policies ) will notice that not one line on the entire page refers to anything remotely related to Bellisseria or Linden Homes .. or surrounding regions for that matter

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, DaSein Noyes said:

Thank you for that crucial piece of information.

Those who read with comprehension (it's here : http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Mainland_policies ) will notice that not one line on the entire page refers to anything remotely related to Bellisseria or Linden Homes .. or surrounding regions for that matter

You really want to do this?! Ok then -- talking about reading for comprehension -- how's about the very first line in that document, which says "The mainland is a Second Life area in which Linden Lab is the estate owner and exercises elevated discretion regarding content and design." Then visit Bellessaria, pull up the Estate tools (Alt-R), and read "Estate owner: Governor Linden."

I could rest my case right there; but furthermore, said document does not name Bellisseria by name, of course, but does say the Lindens reserve the right to "Change covenants and/or rules applicable to certain mainland areas such as zoning." Bellisseria, I'm sure, would constitute such a (special themed) zone.

• Thanks 2

Just now, AlyceAdrift said:

Wow. Way to be rude. I'm not slow, the box is just a pointless idea.

I think she was just trying to inject some levity into this thread. :) At any rate, the 'Accept' button may be annoying, but not pointless.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.