Kitchens!!

Littlemouse Topaz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I am separating the kitchen from the block now, as we speak. :) And then I will give it to you (along with some minor instructions on how to align it properly).

Gives you flowers & thank you notes piled high, you're the best :D

• Like 1

Okay, so since I am not one to know creators just by seeing some product, if you posted a picture of a kitchen and did not say who made it, would you please go edit your post and do so?

We are allowed to name creators when specifically asked -- and I am asking.

• Like 2

I had hard time deciding which room to put my kitchen/dinning area in. I had the smaller front room of the Winchester house as my music room, loved it there but then swapped and put the kitchen in it.  My kitchen set is from Dutchie @30LI. It has tons of animations and props if that is your thing. The total prim count for my entire kitchen, dinning set and accessories came to 67 LI.  Curtains included.

1097986038_Kitchen2.thumb.png.9a821b78a4babd6989869b62bfdd7c19.png764715961_Kitchen1.thumb.png.1f5b692e9d1fc80e71d0689e4ba11ffa.png

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Littlemouse Topaz said:

What kind of kitchens are you all using in your traditional homes?  Has anyone found a kitchen that isn't prim heavy?  I am in the Winchester model and my kitchen's LI is around 55.  This is my current kitchen.  I like it but would like the LI to be a little lower.  How about some pictures of your kitchens!!

Snapshot_081.jpg

That is lovely and has lots of details (have no idea who made it - I don't keep up with that) but unless you are REALLY TINY it is very large scale. You might try taking a copy of everything and scaling it down but some (as a test of course). If it is mod and you can scale down (or even resize pieces which wouldn't be all that fun) it may very well save you a lot of land impact.   I have a ton of stuff in that same room in my Winchester. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Here is my kitchen, made from Roost parts (thanks to @Marianne Little for the original inspiration). I can't say how many LI it is because I have most of the entire downstairs of my house linked together for a total of 51 LI. 

Snapshot_001.png

51 LI for your entire downstairs? Can we see the picture of the other room please! This is so nicely done. Gorgeous! 🥰

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

That is lovely and has lots of details (have no idea who made it - I don't keep up with that) but unless you are REALLY TINY it is very large scale. You might try taking a copy of everything and scaling it down but some (as a test of course). If it is mod and you can scale down (or even resize pieces which wouldn't be all that fun) it may very well save you a lot of land impact.   I have a ton of stuff in that same room in my Winchester. 

Thank you!   It's LAQ and I am very tiny.  I am floating off the floor to wash the dishes.  It is mod so I can try to shrink it down. I would have to do each individual piece though.

Edited by Littlemouse Topaz
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, PrudenceAnton said:

I had hard time deciding which room to put my kitchen/dinning area in. I had the smaller front room of the Winchester house as my music room, loved it there but then swapped and put the kitchen in it.  My kitchen set is from Dutchie @30LI. It has tons of animations and props if that is your thing. The total prim count for my entire kitchen, dinning set and accessories came to 67 LI.  Curtains included.

1097986038_Kitchen2.thumb.png.9a821b78a4babd6989869b62bfdd7c19.png764715961_Kitchen1.thumb.png.1f5b692e9d1fc80e71d0689e4ba11ffa.png

very nice!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Littlemouse Topaz said:

Thank you!   It's LAQ and I am very tiny.  I am floating off the floor to wash the dishes.  It is mod so I can try to shrink it down. I would have to do each individual piece though.

Someone has a script on the MP which can help with scaling down larger linksets.   @Marianne Little knows about it, I think.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Littlemouse Topaz said:

If it is manual mod you should be able to "lasso" the whole set, (no, click on each piece to select is much safer inside a house) take a copy, take it to the sandbox and shrink down all together and see how that works for you. You could then bring it back and replace what you have now (select everything and TAKE it) with the new smaller one. That would be the easiest method.  If you haven't done this before though I suggest some time on the sandbox with resizing and taking and rezzing.

Still a VERY useful skill to have if you don't already!  

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 1

Just now, Chic Aeon said:

If it is manual mod you should be able to "lasso" the whole set, take a copy, take it to the sandbox and shrink down all together and see how that works for you. You could then bring it back and replace what you have now (select everything and TAKE it) with the new smaller one. That would be the easiest method.  If you haven't done this before though I suggest some time on the sandbox with resizing and taking and rezzing.

Still a VERY useful skill to have if you don't already!  

I am not really that well versed in modding and stuff like that.  Like how would I "lasso" the whole thing?  I have several copies of it because it is copy.  It comes with a rezzer that rezzes the entire kitchen at once.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Littlemouse Topaz said:

I am not really that well versed in modding and stuff like that.  Like how would I "lasso" the whole thing?  I have several copies of it because it is copy.  It comes with a rezzer that rezzes the entire kitchen at once.

Please don't try to lasso the whole thing. Bad things can happen with that unless you are VERY experienced and comfortable with it.

Sometimes I think we forget that not everyone is knowledgeable about editing and/or modifying objects. I barely know what I'm doing and do it wrong half the time. I can dress myself like a goddess but I can't link an item or shrink an item or mod an item without screwing it up several times before eventually getting frustrated and just deleting the whole mess.

My hair and makeup will look awesome, though. 😋 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Littlemouse Topaz said:

You were fast, I amended my comment to say "click on each piece" and then take a copy.  Just a sec.   

Select one piece and then hold down the shift key and click on each of the remaining pieces. 

1752117700_selectinglinkset.thumb.jpg.53920c4cd21f1d104176d8e5dc77dcd8.jpg

Then take a copy of that. 

Go to the sandbox (to test) and with your BUILD MENU OPEN rez the linkset. 

Holding down Ctrl + Shift you should see white cube "handles". Use those to shrink the whole set uniformly. It takes very little time once you understand how to do it.  When I resized my demo here a bit (it didn't need to be and the new one is too small now of course) it went from 14 to 9.  The coffee maker isn't mine and isn't mod so of course it would not resize.  Hope that explains it. Once you feel that you have "got it" you can resize your kitchen in place. 

242129308_resizinglinkset.thumb.jpg.05707b32025813ea24dddf8165e357f6.jpg

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Please don't try to lasso the whole thing. Bad things can happen with that unless you are VERY experienced and comfortable with it.

Sometimes I think we forget that not everyone is knowledgeable about editing and/or modifying objects. I barely know what I'm doing and do it wrong half the time. I can dress myself like a goddess but I can't link an item or shrink an item or mod an item without screwing it up several times before eventually getting frustrated and just deleting the whole mess.

My hair and makeup will look awesome, though. 😋 

I fixed that about two seconds after my first post. You must be VERY VERY fast or watching like a hawk :D.   Actually lassoing works fine and is easy as long as you can SEE your whole object. Inside a house it IS dangerous I agree.  

PS. If we don't TRY -- we don't LEARN. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

You were fast, I amended my comment to say "click on each piece" and then take a copy.  Just a sec.   

Select one piece and then hold down the shift key and click on each of the remaining pieces. 

1752117700_selectinglinkset.thumb.jpg.53920c4cd21f1d104176d8e5dc77dcd8.jpg

Then take a copy of that. 

Go to the sandbox (to test) and with your BUILD MENU OPEN rez the linkset. 

Holding down Ctrl + Shift you should see white cube "handles". Use those to shrink the whole set uniformly. It takes very little time once you understand how to do it.  When I resized my demo here a bit (it didn't need to be and the new one is too small now of course) it went from 14 to 9.  The coffee maker isn't mine and isn't mod so of course it would not resize.  Hope that explains it. Once you feel that you have "got it" you can resize your kitchen in place. 

242129308_resizinglinkset.thumb.jpg.05707b32025813ea24dddf8165e357f6.jpg

this i should be able to do. i can go to a sandbox and try it. if i mess it up, oh well. i have more. thank you for your help.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

I fixed that about two seconds after my first post. You must be VERY VERY fast or watching like a hawk :D.   Actually lassoing works fine and is easy as long as you can SEE your whole object. Inside a house it IS dangerous I agree.  

I actually thought she might not see your edit since she'd already responded about it... I just wanted to make sure she didn't end up accidentally deleting a whole house or something - and yes, I have done that more than once because I keep thinking I'll figure out the whole lasso thing.

I'm also very fast according to some people... lol!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Someone has a script on the MP which can help with scaling down larger linksets.   @Marianne Little knows about it, I think.

I have read this before. I simply use Ctrl-Shift on a selected linkset, and then you can scale it manually**. Does said script come with larger precision or something?

** You can't always scale down; for instance, when one link in the linkset is down to 0.01m (on any of the axis), typically like is the case with shadow-plates. Just temporarily set those to 0.02m, scale down further, and then, afterwards, set those to 0.01m again.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Not so perilous when you have locked the linksets of the house down (like I do anyway), and then tick 'Select only movable objects', where you only have the to-be-lasso-ed linkset(s)  unlocked you intend to scale. :)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I have read this before. I simply use Ctrl-Shift on a selected linkset, and then you can scale it manually**. Does said script come with larger precision or something?

** You can't always scale down; for instance, when one link in the linkset is down to 0.01m (on any of the axis), typically like is the case with shadow-plates. Just temporarily set those to 0.02m, scale down further, and then, afterwards, set those to 0.01m again.

Here is a hint on that issue in general -- likely it will (hopefully) not apply to the kitchen in question.

USUALLY (not always) the offending prim that is causing the problem is a one made for a SHADOW or GLASS.   Long ago and far away we were TAUGHT to make those prims as thin as possible. And many are still doing that. I try and remember to NOT do that when I am working in a linkset that has glass (and very rarely as shadow) just so that folks CAN mod down. 

BUT if it is an issue you can just "edit linked parts" in the build menu and then click on the offending prim in the linkset and JUST make that "thicker".

image.thumb.png.3798395587168424e5113a5320f5a023.png

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Littlemouse Topaz said:

Ok, I shrunk the kitchen, right there in the house. I got brave and I did it. Does it look better or did I make it too small?

Snapshot_083.jpg

Snapshot_081.jpg

All up to personal taste, really. :) Me? I would probably just scale it down to where it hits the door post, so to speak. Having it stick out looks perhaps a mite weird.

Be careful with that LAQ kitchen, though; it comes with many animations (I have it too). I'm not sure how those will behave when the entire kitchen is scaled down.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

If I remember right, it is similar to resize scripts that you find in things that let you do small increments -- like +/- 1% or 0.5% -- since using those handles to resize can sometimes be difficult if you are only wanting small adjustments.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Littlemouse Topaz said:

Ok, I shrunk the kitchen, right there in the house. I got brave and I did it. Does it look better or did I make it too small?

Snapshot_083.jpg

Yeah, the scaled down looks much better.  Are you still having to float in the air to do dishes?  If so, I'd scale it down even more.  It will still look fine in the house, especially after you add other items to the room.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yeah, the scaled down looks much better.  Are you still having to float in the air to do dishes?  If so, I'd scale it down even more.  It will still look fine in the house, especially after you add other items to the room.

thank you. no, I am not floating to do the dishes anymore. I think I might move the fridge to the other side of the room.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Wait!? She had to scale it down because she had to float in the air to do the dishes?! I would have expected the opposite (that scaling down might make her hover too much over the sink).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.