Help! Mystery Object?

Perrain Berenohn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, Seba Serpente said:

if that was the case it would show on the 2nd picture, but there is no colission being registered there at all, from any object, terrain, etc

Why, theoretically, you could be inside the physics of a huge object (like a megaprim for the hills), set to convex hull, and then, because of being inside of it, you wouldn't even see the physics of it show up. :) This is very unlikely, of course, as a mistake of that magnitude would have affected the entire region. And then we'd have heard from other ppl, of course. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kiramanell said:

Why, theoretically, you could be inside the physics of a huge object (like a megaprim for the hills), set to convex hull, and then, because of being inside of it, you wouldn't even see the physics of it show up. :) This is very unlikely, of course, as a mistake of that magnitude would have affected the entire region. And then we'd have heard from other ppl, of course. :)

exactly. i would have noticed right away if that is the case... but yes, it only happens with this specific house. I also checked for a known bug with linked objects rotation messing up the physics, thats not the case neither.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seba Serpente said:

exactly. i would have noticed right away if that is the case... but yes, it only happens with this specific house. I also checked for a known bug with linked objects rotation messing up the physics, thats not the case neither.

There's another small mesh bug that sometimes hits me, like on a home with convex hull walls, for instance, where the entire object is inaccessiible upon rez (not a matter of a hole in a convex hull veing solid, of course). That usually solves itself simply by selecting the object. Don't ask me why, but it seems selecting it then forces the server to get (reget?) its physics properties. That is also not the case here, btw, I'm sure, as there was plenty of selecting going on in those images. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Perrain Berenohn said:

Ok.  Restart removed the problem.  Yay!  Thanks for rushing to my rescue... all of you!

Wow, region physics spazzing out, I've never seen that happen on my own sim. :) But I guess Bellisseria is really pushing the envelope far more than I ever could. 😁

• Like 1

In case you guys were wondering: Quartz Mole said, " ... it's a phenomenon I've come across before.. can be caused by several things but essentially the simulator's records are confused and it thinks there's an obstacle where there isn't one."

"...it's a long-standing issue that's fortunately very rare now, or at least I haven't seen in several years, but a restart fixes it.  It's what we used to call "ghosting" but that now seems to cover a lot more."

(I asked for permission to quote him.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Just now, kiramanell said:

There's another small mesh bug that sometimes hits me, like on a home with convex hull walls, for instance, where the entire object is inaccessiible upon rez (not a matter of a hole in a convex hull veing solid, of course). That usually solves itself simply by selecting the object. Don't ask me why, but it seems selecting it then forces the server to get (reget?) its physics properties. That is also not the case here, btw, I'm sure, as there was plenty of selecting going on in those images. :)

Thats the bug i am refering to. if you have a linked object that rotates, when it rotates it makes the mesh convex until you select it, then it reverts to the correct colission shape. here is the Jira for that that you mention: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-225742

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Also, important note:

"I would rather people didn't get the idea that sending up a Mole Signal in the forums is a good way to get help -- I will help when I'm around but normally it's best to ask support to restart the region if something like this happens." - Quartz Mole

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Seba Serpente said:

Thats the bug i am refering to. if you have a linked object that rotates, when it rotates it makes the mesh convex until you select it, then it reverts to the correct colission shape. here is the Jira for that that you mention: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-225742

Wow, that Jira describes the exact condition of my situation. :) Learn something every day! Thx.

Just now, kiramanell said:

Wow, that Jira describes the exact condition of my situation. :) Learn something every day! Thx.

For now what you can do is analize the colission to fix that.. but be aware that analizing brings up a bunch of other issues... will have to do a lot of trial and error to get decent colissions after analize.

• Like 1

• Moles
20 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Region restart or a full reset of the House Mailbox Controller?

Region restart.   Since re-rezzing the house (which I did) wasn't fixing it, the most likely explanation was that somehow the simulator thought there was something there blocking the door that wasn't in fact there.    

That's something I've certainly come across before, though not for very long time now (like 8 or 9 years maybe).   We used to call it "ghosting" but now that seems to cover a lot of different odd simulator behaviour.    Whatever it is, a region restart usually fixes it.

As a general point, while I'm happy to help out with issues when I can (so long it's something that's actually malfunctioning, that is, and not simply "please may I have a hedge round the garden, like some other houses do?" or "please remove my hedge.  I don't like it"), it's generally better to ask support for help rather than send up the Mole Signal in these  forums and hope one of us sees it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, Evangeline Ling said:

And somewhere in Second Life...

A content creator is now making this

throws all my lindens at whoever that content creator may be

That would actually be really easy to make with a projector, wouldn't it? Even I can do that! 

will be making my own Mole Signal tonight... look for it to be projected on the ******* of Light, as you so eloquently renamed the Fourze lighthouse! (I bleeped that myself...)

Edited by Beth Macbain
I inarticulately used elegant instead of eloquent.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, Seba Serpente said:

Hit me up if you want a mole signal projector inworld 😁 I don't give any guarantee that will actually summon moles.

920623272f02ea183c6d358d6852b86e.jpg

Shine it onto a black prim hovering in the night sky - they might see it easier from far away.    :D

2 minutes ago, Seba Serpente said:

Pretty sure that still goes against the covenant as could either be not in theme or be a vissual disturbance. I don't feel the need to go onto that extreme neither.

A Mole is very much in theme.  You should fly around the continent a bit and see what apparently is in theme for being in the air.  The covenant does specifically say that objects can be up to 15m high.

/me thinks you are taking things way too seriously

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.