Official Tilia Q&A Forum Thread (Related Questions Only)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 7/2/2019 at 1:57 PM, Linden Lab said:

Can any government access this information - when, how and why? 

No. This information will not be provided to any government unless we are compelled to do so through a legal process (such as subpoena or search warrant).  

Then why do YOU PERSONALLY want people's social security number?

• Like 1

I regularly sell Lindens recieved from donations to my regions,  which are then kept in my account as USD which then are ONLY used  to apply to my LL land fees for my regions.  When on occasion there are not enough USD in my account then LL bills my Paypal as usual.   I never submit a credit request.  Do I need to do anything other than accept Tilia's term when asked?

Edited by Tymus Tenk
type error
  • Like 2

I am a permanent resident of Canada but carry a USA passport - I am living with my sl partner who is also my legal husband and we are in Canada.  Am I good or do I have to comply with the USA laws.  I use my Paypal acct currently and/or my bank card?  Help I am confused

On 7/6/2019 at 8:45 PM, DilliDallagio said:

While checking out the "money transmitter" license granted to Tilia by the State of Florida, I noticed the license has actually expired. What happens to residents of Second Life from Florida who wish to exercise the cashing out service? If Tilia is not licensed to do so, how will those Florida-based residents get their accounts processed?

Though Linden Research never answered my questions here in this forum nor responded to me directly, Tilia, Inc. is once again licensed by the State of Florida for the purpose of engaging in the business of Money Transmitter, Part II. A review of the link to the Florida granted license document from the Tilia Licenses page confirms this.

But I do echo the question on the validity of that part of the Tilia ToS that says they are not responsible for data loss. If handling real money as a service to customers, how can Tilia NOT be responsible for the value of the customers' assets in Tilia's care?

Also, I echo the question asked by others as to why Tilia accounts need to be opened for every Second Life resident, given that so many of them will not want or have need to use the Tilia service. Is opening an account with a state/federally recognized financial service without purpose or by desire of someone even legal? Morally I find that action troubling for any financial services company to do (remember Wells Fargo's "experiment" with opening accounts?) but is it legal to do so?

• Like 5

I have never cashed out but I sent real life proof of ID to linden lab for the age verification process several years ago (Driver license, scanned and emailed directly then verified ). Why is that ID still not on file and not able to be used for Tilia?

Edited by Monderas Bristol

50 minutes ago, Monderas Bristol said:

I have never cashed out but I sent real life proof of ID to linden lab for the age verification process several years ago (Driver license, scanned and emailed directly then verified ). Why is that ID still not on file and not able to be used for Tilia?

Jeepers. I'd sure hope the Lab's data retention policy would have expunged all that ages ago. So my question for the Lab, only tangentially related to Tilia: Is any of that old age verification data still retained anywhere? Please tell us that stuff is long gone.

• Like 1

A few questions for LL that I don't think have been asked (if they have, my apologies for not being able to find them):
1. Does/will Tilia have an independent website that can be accessed by using our SL name and password? If so, that's a serious security issue - two websites using the identical credentials? If it is the case, why wouldn't we have the ability to change those credentials (to keep them separate) as we can with every other account on the web?
2. As it stands today, when we convert L to USD, we have to confirm by entering our password; same process when sending USD to Paypal - so to my eyes, that "appears" to be how we are currently accessing/using the Tilia system - is that true? If so, why the change? Isn't LL already in compliance with US laws surrounding financial transactions? Didn't we already go through that several years ago when personal info was required for processing credit over a certain amount?
3. Since this is a major change involving our sensitive personal and financial info, why isn't two factor verification being implemented at the same time?
  • Thanks 1

Worried I have to set up a Tulia        "account"       when I don't cash out in case the State or Feds subpoena a list of Tulia accounts and ask me  in a tax seeking frenzy to       prove          I never cashed out, I mean I       did      open a      "cash out"     account?

And am very     unclear     where     what     page  or box    we     must    access    every year to stay  active. Or is the main dashboard enough - or do I have to click some certain account page.   Would "my mainland" be enough?

• Like 1

Another series of questions I have not seen any concrete answers on...

• What happens to a Second Life resident's account should they decide, on 1 Aug 2019, to not accept the Tilia ToS?
    • Does that resident get (politely) exited from the viewer or website with a message indicating they must accept the ToS to gain entrance into Second Life?
    • Does that resident receive an full explanation as to the truthful and legal reason, including proper citations to any government mandates, on why the Tilia account needs to be created followed by another opportunity to accept the Tilia ToS or not?
    • Will that resident be granted some choices, such as...
      • Making their account dormant until such time they decide to accept the Tilia ToS?
      • Be offered a way to use the web-based account dashboard to delete their account without having to accept the Tilia ToS first?

I am confused as to what happens to a Second Life account when the Tilia ToS is rejected. Hopefully these questions can be answered honestly so I am able to make a proper decision about the Tilia accounts.

Thank you.

Edited by DilliDallagio
To more thoroughly expand upon the "full explanation" question.
  • Like 2

I'm reading all the posts on this official blog, and honestly these fragmented answers from LL are confusing me . 

So I will ask some simple questions hoping for an answer as simple and understandable for everyone without bureaucratic language and also for those who are not English speaking and not resident in the states but in Central Europe

01) where should we accept the Tilia terms and conditions? in our dashboard, or will a pop-up window open when we log in to SL? or LL send us a e.mail with Tilia Link 

02) if I do not request that  be transferred to my PayPail account (with which I pay the annual subscription) the Lindens that I can earn in SL is enough to accept only the Tilia Terms and Conditions without doing anything else?

that's all
thanks for a simple and comprehensive answer.

adriana 

I'm still waiting for an answer to my question. Which just happens to be the very first one in the thread. 

Why are we being forced to agree, in order to remain a resident of SL, to having a financial account that most of us are never going to use because we never cash out? That is coercion and will be causing people to agree under duress. Why would a company do such a thing to it's customers? Why isn't it opt in? Why isn't there at least an opt out with the ability to opt in later if we change our minds? 

Why is Tilia trying to cover up their legal responsibility for any USD amounts or personal information that gets stolen should the database ever be accessed illegally?

Why won't LL answer these questions?

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ThorinII said:

My point of view is simple:

If you do trust Linden Lab, you trust by proxy their subsidiary Tilia as well, so there's no need to spread FUD or panic. Just click the Agree button when the new TOS comes live, and you'll be fine.

On the other hand: If you don't trust Linden Lab's subsidiary Tilia, then you don't trust Linden Lab either, and shouldn't use their service Second Life anyway.

I really don't understand all the panic and FUD shown in this thread.

Tos ? 

I found this: TOS: Menopausal hormone replacement therapy is a medical treatment that applies to women in surgical, perimenopausal and postmenopausal menopause. Its goal is to reduce the discomfort caused by the decrease in estrogen and progesterone hormones circulating in menopause.

What interests SL if I am in menopause or not?

I joke, according to you since you seem to know a lot about it, where will this TOS appear to us?

What to do if person has only digital ID in her country? Does Tilia has means and apps to recive it? That means- no passport, driver licence and no physical paper or plastic stuff bc all is stored into digital ID. And for bank is used internet or mobile without contact pay? How to scan that for verification?

In mine country it is now usual, we have all digital, nearly nothing is in paper anymore.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Jeepers. I'd sure hope the Lab's data retention policy would have expunged all that ages ago. So my question for the Lab, only tangentially related to Tilia: Is any of that old age verification data still retained anywhere? Please tell us that stuff is long gone.

Wait..LL deleted my reply to Qie which clarified my question and agreed with him?

Even if   previous data verification has been deleted according to some policy, shouldn't there be some record that a person has already provided RL info?

Edited by Monderas Bristol

On 7/2/2019 at 9:57 PM, Linden Lab said:

Beginning Aug. 1, all Second Life Residents will be asked to agree to the Tilia Terms of Service and Privacy Policy upon logging in.

This needs clarification:

1. It says "all Second Life Residents will be asked to agree to the Tilia Terms of Service..."
- will be asked - does it mean that it is actually compulsory to agree to continue to use Second Life?

2. If agreeing to the Tilia TOS is compulsory for all - even if you never use Tilia services - the question arises why agreement is needed for a service you never use?
- if you require all to agree then surely you have reason - what is that reason?

• Like 2

This does raise one question for the lawyers, though: Why is an explicit agreement required here, rather than the implicit "by continuing to use this service you agree to these new terms and conditions: ..."? Is it because there's a new legal entity, Tilia, with which none of us yet have any pre-existing agreement?

Obviously this has got folks all aflutter so there must be some compelling reason you can't just use the same approach as American Express does practically every month.

• Community Manager

Hello all,

Here one more reminder that today's Tilia Town Hall is happening at 1 PM SLT. Details are in the blog post. We will be addressing some of your questions in that meeting, and a recording will be made available later for those who may not be able to attend the live show.

Additionally, please note that we've edited our initial response to one of your questions above and made note of this edit in the original post. Specifically:

Q:
Will EVERYONE who uses Second Life have to agree to the new Tilia TOS and Privacy Policy - or just those who use credit processing in USD?

A: Only those who have a USD wallet need to consent to Tilia’s ToS. If you have a USD wallet, these will be presented to you when you log in to your SL account on the web.

This answer and others will be discussed in more detail at today's Tilia Town Hall.

Also, as a reminder, this Q&A thread is for questions only. Please direct comments and other discussions about Tilia to a community-created thread. As mentioned in the original post as well as follow-up comments, we have and will continue to remove responses that are not in the form of a Tilia-related question on this specific thread. However, we are capturing your feedback from the general forums. As always, all posts are subject to the community guidelines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.