not loading

marc1003

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1681 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That means that your viewer can't find one or more of the 4 basic body parts. These are: shape, system hair, system eyes, and system skin. If one of these is missing for one reason or another, you will remain a poof cloud.

There are two things that you can do to fix this:

1 - Create a blank shape, eyes, hair, and skin and wear one after another until your avatar reappears. Once you are visible again, you can change these body parts back to your preferred ones.

2 - Perform a character test. This will reset the look of your avatar and will require you to restore the outfit that you wore before the character test. In Firestorm, you can find it at Avatar -> Character Tests -> Test  Female (or Male). I hope that's where it is in the LL viewer, which I think you are using.

• Like 1

To explain just why you got this message and problem: Your avatar needs to be wearing four specific system items in order for it to rez properly. Those things are:

• system skin
  • system shape
  • system hair (usually known as either a hairbase or brow-shaper these days)
  • system eyes

The inventory icons for those look like this in the stock Linden Lab viewer:

basics_ll.jpg

And like this in the third party Firestorm viewer:

basics_fs.jpg

If any one of those can't be found in the database then you'll appear as a cloud. To solve the problem, find another version of whatever's missing and wear that.

• Like 1

Hey there! I am having this issue too, as are all of my avvies. However, when I do the character test, the system doesn't find any of those assets in the database either. It's the Girl Next Door default. all of my attachments work, just none of my system or default pieces. I'm using Singularity. Help! PS: not a newbie, either! Been here for ages!

Edited by Morag Mistwood

Apparently this has been an issue with Singularity since they updated the server and attempted to put in a bug fix that created more bugs than it fixed. You can read about it here, but I didn't see a solution offered. http://blog.nalates.net/2019/07/02/singularity-viewer-goes-sideways/

• Like 2

It isn't just Singularity, the SL viewer 3.7.28(300847), which is the last viewer that can run on Windows XP 32-bit, also shows this behaviour now. The fixes given above (wear the four default body parts) do work, but must be repeated each time you log in: wear a default skin, shape, hair and eyes. Once visible, change back to the preferred skin, shape, hair and eyes.

There will be a stream of system notifications "Failed to find..." as the inventory is loaded which then all need to be acknowledged and shut off. I missed a couple of meetings but I have a feeling this is to do with the phasing out of UDP?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dd Temin said:

Linden support ???  to fix this issue  and roll back the servers to the last version is needed Asap.

You broke it....now please fix it back ! This is very upsetting

No the Lindens didn't "break" it...

In 2016 new services for working with inventory and assets was put into service. The new service is bases on new API's, connections into the SL backend. They continued to provide service for the old API's thus running a duel system. 

In late 2018 and early 2019 the Lindens begin talking about turning off the old API's and removing the old code from the server software. A clean up thing. In early Spring the Lindens made a couple of attempts at turning off the old API's. The first was an official we are turning them off. Then in the midstist of an emergency fix for TP Disconnection, they and some other things apparently got turned back on or fixes reverted.

Now it seems that this latest update has indeed turned off the API's. I think removed the code and those systems no longer work whether enabled or not.

The old XP SL v3.7.28 (3 major revisions behind) does not know about the new API's a they did not exist when it was written. The Lindens announced they were not going to update it to use the new API's. It was discussed and the Lab and third-party dev's knew that viewer would not work. 

This is planned obsolescence, not an accidental breakage.

Singularity just didn't keep up. From third-party dev UG meetings it was expected that Singularity would be updated before the API's died. But something went sideways.

@elviratg And my article http://blog.nalates.net/2019/07/02/singularity-viewer-goes-sideways/ has the solution...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I joined SL on June 16. As I downloaded a viewer (SL v3.7.28) to run with my win XP, I had no idea that within three weeks…that XP viewer would be rendered worthless. When the July 2 change came…I thought the cloud/ghost avi was on my end. I uninstall and reinstall three times trying to fix it. Thanks to this article, I have some light shed on what’s going on.

If anyone knows of a viewer that will run the new API’s on an XP- OS...Please share it with a link.

If LL truly has dumped all XP users…all I can say is---I haven’t been on SL long enough to be hooked on your product. So, best of luck as you force all your addicted XP users to spend hundreds $$$ to upgrade. I’m just not there yet.

Every game and software maker has dropped Win-XP, like 5 years ago.

$20/month for 5 yrs or 60 months = $1,200. You can buy decent older but new i5-650 3.2GHz computers on eBay for US$160-$370... originally sold as gaming machines. So, we aren't going to have much sympathy for you. 

However, Cool VL Viewer and Singularity are frequently updated and are said to run on XP machines. How well is a matter of opinion. The Lab strongly recommends 64-bit whatever OS you run. The crash rates are dramatically lower.

Whatever your priorities for your money, they are yours and your choice. We can respect that. Just don't expect the world to stop to suit your preferences. The rest of us are moving on.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 8:42 AM, boclhmtoc said:

If LL truly has dumped all XP users…all I can say is---I haven’t been on SL long enough to be hooked on your product. So, best of luck as you force all your addicted XP users to spend hundreds $$$ to upgrade. I’m just not there yet.

Of course LL droped XP

It's not to bug the users, but its for security purposes. XP has since long stopped receiving support and security updates from microsoft, just like WIndows 7 will next January. This means the OS and software written for that platform are no longer secure.

So not just for SL, but for your general online security, you really should get a new OS.

If it weren’t for this thread, I would have reinstalled my viewer five times by now still thinking the cloudy avi was on my end.

Thanks to all who have commented thus far. And to Nalates, and Zeta for taking me to the woodshed over my OS. The rebuke is received.

If you’re running an XP with 32bit---forget the links above.  They only work with 64 bit. There are XP 32-bit viewers with CtrlAlt studio and Singularity, but you’re still a cloud with no control over which avatar you use or how it looks. Hardly any features work, but you can walk around in-world and chat with other avatars, take pictures. That’s about it.

Now, the good news for XP users. Your patience in holding on this long to XP is about to pay off.

You see, LL is still running a dual system. On one hand, there is SL. As Nalates pointed out, you can go to EBay and find a cheap i5 upgrade for $300 that will run fine in SL. But why would you do that when LL is herding the flock towards Sansar? That’s right…Sansar! With the coming age of VR headsets like Oculus Rift the future belongs to PC’s that have VR support. Don’t get me wrong…any VR equipped machine with i7 will run perfect on SL. But just as old API’s were dropped for the new ones, so SL will be dropped for Sansar. Or be absorbed into Sansar when the time is right. When will that time be? When maximum profits can be made from the user community.

Go for i7, 250 SSD, 1T HHD, W/graphics card GTX 1070 or better, and VR support/ win10. You are now five to ten years ahead of the ‘upgrade game,’ and missed the midterm upgrade cycle. There are on/sale(s) going all the time for these machines. It’s like catching a bus. If you miss one…another one is coming right around the corner.

Dell, Best Buy, Newegg all have deals on VR PC’s. So, upgrade to where it’s going—not where it is now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 4:56 PM, boclhmtoc said:

If it weren’t for this thread, I would have reinstalled my viewer five times by now still thinking the cloudy avi was on my end.

Thanks to all who have commented thus far. And to Nalates, and Zeta for taking me to the woodshed over my OS. The rebuke is received.

If you’re running an XP with 32bit---forget the links above.  They only work with 64 bit. There are XP 32-bit viewers with CtrlAlt studio and Singularity, but you’re still a cloud with no control over which avatar you use or how it looks. Hardly any features work, but you can walk around in-world and chat with other avatars, take pictures. That’s about it.

Now, the good news for XP users. Your patience in holding on this long to XP is about to pay off.

You see, LL is still running a dual system. On one hand, there is SL. As Nalates pointed out, you can go to EBay and find a cheap i5 upgrade for $300 that will run fine in SL. But why would you do that when LL is herding the flock towards Sansar? That’s right…Sansar! With the coming age of VR headsets like Oculus Rift the future belongs to PC’s that have VR support. Don’t get me wrong…any VR equipped machine with i7 will run perfect on SL. But just as old API’s were dropped for the new ones, so SL will be dropped for Sansar. Or be absorbed into Sansar when the time is right. When will that time be? When maximum profits can be made from the user community.

Go for i7, 250 SSD, 1T HHD, W/graphics card GTX 1070 or better, and VR support/ win10. You are now five to ten years ahead of the ‘upgrade game,’ and missed the midterm upgrade cycle. There are on/sale(s) going all the time for these machines. It’s like catching a bus. If you miss one…another one is coming right around the corner.

Dell, Best Buy, Newegg all have deals on VR PC’s. So, upgrade to where it’s going—not where it is now.

but you’re still a cloud with no control over which avatar you use or how it looks. No... this is only true if you use old versions of the Singularity viewer. There are nightly builds of Singularity that work well. CtrlAltStudio viewers stopped updating like 2 years ago. The viewer was only ever pretty much a proof of concept for SL in VR. 

so SL will be dropped for Sansar. You must not get out much... SL and Sansar are not similar products and are intended for different audiences. Also, the CEO and numerous other Lindens have made it clear they intend to keep SL running as long as it makes a profit for the Lab. In 2018 SL users took US$60 million out of the game. The Lan gets a cut of that plus other fees and membership costs. Businesses do not kill their cash cows.

We also know SL will be around by the effort being put into improving SL. The number of engineers currently working on SL is over 100 and they are hiring. 

I think you also miss the point for VR... The hype is VR is taking over! But, sales of VR headsets says otherwise. Someone on a limited budget is very unlikely to buy a VR headset. So, buying a computer to support VR doesn't make much sense. Wearing a VR headset with makeup and long hair fails the sensibility test too.

Also, the i5 vs i7 debate is about performance-cost. For those on tight budgets the i5 is a best deal thing, most bang for the buck. For SL a fast i5 beats a slow i7... clock speed fast and slow.

• 4 weeks later...

On the other hand if you're still looking for a new computer.  You only need to upgrade from an XP to a Vista OS.  Your computer will need at least 2MB of ram memory, and a rewritable CD rom drive.  You can download a copy of windows Vista for about six bucks. This was the dividing line when the old API’s were dropped back on July 2. The file is sent to you as an OSI file. This is made to be burned unto a CD. The  file starts out in your download section. From there, you burn it unto a CD desk. You will need a blank CD disk with at least 4MB of space. There are a couple of viewers that you can use to put you back into SL with all the features that existed before the July 2 cutoff, when the old XP was rendered “obsolete.”

This will buy you some time as you’re looking for that perfect computer upgrade. That system that will work with future VR headsets that are sure to drop dramatically in price, as all new electronics do, in time.  Who knows, they might even make a VR headset that's guaranteed not to mess up a woman's hairdo.

Time will tell. On a Vista 32bit---both the Firestorm 5.1.7.55786 or SL 6.3.1.530559 will work. 

Well that's it from B’s desk for now. Remember, I’m running a Dell Dim E520, and it’s a 32bit machine. The OSI file will give you a choice between 32 and 64. Make sure you know which one your machine is running. If you need help…I will try to answer any questions.  

Have fun getting back into SL!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1681 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.