Joss Serin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Voodoo Sploders banning you from entering venues

Has anyone else experienced problems with the above? I recently found myself banned from a location with no explanation given! 

After much searching and contacting the owners of the venue, it turned out I was on the banned list of Voodoo (which apparently the software that runs sploders) Although I find this really hard to believe as in over 12 years I have never even touched one of their sploders and didn't really even know they existed

Their own website states "You may have been banned in error as it happens a lot"

Long story short I contacted Voodoo support and unbanned myself with their supplied code, end of story you think? not so, I was still banned from at least 2 venues

I opened a support ticket with Voodoo (as I was now being bombarded with messages from the Voodoo software, informing me that I was banned) and asked them (nicely) to get it sorted

However, as I had used the term "crap software" on the support ticket, they claimed I was clearly a "griefer" and not only would the ban stand, but I have now been banned and blocked from their in world location, their website and the two people I spoke to in world have me blocked! So I now have no way to contact them or challenge their decision!

Add to that the growing number of venues that I can now not get in to, all because they blocked me in error (probably a long time ago) 

I really don't care if they block me from their sploders, because as I say I have never even used one, but to block me from venues I use? how is this ever fair? and why do Linden Labs allow them to behave in this way?

Edited by Joss Serin
missed something out

3 minutes ago, Joss Serin said:

I really don't care if they block me from their sploders, because as I say I have never even used one, but to block me from venues I use? how is this ever fair? and why do Linden Labs allow them to behave in this way?  

The venues you frequent are free to use whatever security system they like. They chose to rely on a system that excludes you without them ever knowing you - but it's still their choice and there is nothing you can do about it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Joss Serin said:

and why do Linden Labs allow them to behave in this way?

Because LL says they don’t get involved, and they state region owners Can ban whomever they like for any reason.

• Like 3

Just now, Joss Serin said:

It's nothing to do with the owners, in fact the first one I contacted had no idea that Voodoo can block their visitors without their knowledge

They could stop using voodoo - which they apparently didn't .... it has everything to do with the owners ;)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Joss Serin said:

Voodoo Sploders banning you from entering venues

Has anyone else experienced problems with the above? I recently found myself banned from a location with no explanation given! 

After much searching and contacting the owners of the venue, it turned out I was on the banned list of Voodoo (which apparently the software that runs sploders) Although I find this really hard to believe as in over 12 years I have never even touched one of their sploders and didn't really even know they existed

Their own website states "You may have been banned in error as it happens a lot"

Long story short I contacted Voodoo support and unbanned myself with their supplied code, end of story you think? not so, I was still banned from at least 2 venues

I opened a support ticket with Voodoo (as I was now being bombarded with messages from the Voodoo software, informing me that I was banned) and asked them (nicely) to get it sorted

However, as I had used the term "crap software" on the support ticket, they claimed I was clearly a "griefer" and not only would the ban stand, but I have now been banned and blocked from their in world location, their website and the two people I spoke to in world have me blocked! So I now have no way to contact them or challenge their decision!

Add to that the growing number of venues that I can now not get in to, all because they blocked me in error (probably a long time ago) 

That is just how Monkey is. He has a history of bad CS, to put it mildly. He ranks right up there with the JLU and RedZone.

4 minutes ago, Joss Serin said:

Maybe so, probably why so many venues have stopped using them? But that doesn't help someone who was banned in error, getting the ban removed

(The Voodoo websites states that it happens a lot)

It is.

There is nothing anyone can do. LL won't get involved in resident to resident disputes unless it is something LL can be criminally and/or legally held liable for.

My advice would be to give him time to cool off and then try again making sure you don't use any terms or phrases that can be misconstrued. He has a very short fuse.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

Talking to another club owner, I have only just realised that Voodoo is also a security system for the venues, (not just a sploder) so that might go a long way to explain why innocents names (like mine) get added to the ban list without their knowledge and why the Voodoo website acknowledges this can happen, as it is in the interest of the supplier of the system to have a lot of banned people on his list isn't it?

But if true, there must come a time when club owners will start to question just how many innocent visitors they could be missing out on due to this fact 

3 hours ago, Joss Serin said:

But if true, there must come a time when club owners will start to question just how many innocent visitors they could be missing out on due to this fact 

I doubt they'll question it unless some similar incidents network ban their DJs and hosts... I also do not believe they don't know about this feature - voodoo aggressively advertises their network security "benefits"

• Like 1

But if it turns out that Voodoo is just filling their ban lists with random names, how is that helping the venue who are paying to be kept secure? secure from who? presumably a bunch of innocent people who get categorized "griefers" because they have the audacity to ask why their name is on a ban list. Not exactly public enemy number one then!

17 hours ago, Joss Serin said:

how is this ever fair? and why do Linden Labs allow them to behave in this way?

Fair = as long as it isn't related to racism, or other forms of hate-speech or inciting violence. So, fair = 'you're banned for wearing pink underwear', I guess.

Btw, I'm a little confused by the title of this thread.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Thanks 1

Anyone who uses the term "crap software" and also maintains that they "asked nicely" has got a lot of chutzpah*

*chutzpah:  That quality possessed by a person who kills his parents, and then pleads for clemency on the grounds that he's an orphan.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Anyone who uses the term "crap software" and also maintains that they "asked nicely" has got a lot of chutzpah*

Or is British, or Aussie. In which case using only "crap"  is being nice.  When we stop trying to be nice, it gets a lot more colourful than "crap". xD

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 7/2/2019 at 5:30 PM, Fionalein said:

I doubt they'll question it unless some similar incidents network ban their DJs and hosts... I also do not believe they don't know about this feature - voodoo aggressively advertises their network security "benefits"

Exactly,it's one of their major selling points

7 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Or is British, or Aussie. In which case using only "crap"  is being nice.  When we stop trying to be nice, it gets a lot more colourful than "crap". xD

I make a distinction in my blog. When I write just 'sh*t' it means something is sh*tty. When, otoh, I write 'The Sh*t' it's really, like, positive and the greatest. ^.^

Edited by Orca Flotta

35 minutes ago, Orca Flotta said:

I make a distinction in my blog. When I write just 'sh*t' it means something is sh*tty. When, otoh, I write 'The Sh*t' it's really, like, positive and the greatest. ^.^

So... you're saying you're full of sheet and everyone else is full of crap? o.O

lol.gif.5cd136f4364289c99c02a09aede3edd3.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/5/2019 at 5:58 AM, Selene Gregoire said:

So... you're saying you're full of sheet and everyone else is full of crap? o.O

Naaw, not really. Everybody knows I'm full of it. Ever readered my bloggo? Obviously not, else you'd know. ;)

On 7/5/2019 at 5:58 AM, Selene Gregoire said:

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.