AFTER 13 YEARS...BYE BYE SECONDLIFE!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

59 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

So who's getting my money? Huh? 😎

... The sugardaddies? Or was it the other way it went ...

• Haha 1

I've wondered for a long time why LL didn't seem to be subject to the usual requirements for reporting payments, which, in general require that entities that pay people money over some threshold in a year in the U.S. verify the identity of the payee and report the payment.

I read the Tilia TOS. Aside from a lot of disclaimers of obligations and responsibility, it seemed to boil down to this: People who withdraw U.S. dollars from their accounts will have to provide RL information,  just like U.S. residents must provide to every other entity from which they receive payments. I can't see any reason for a person to object other than that they want to evade income taxes.

As far as the inactivity fee goes, it looks to me like a non-issue. It applies to accounts that have U.S. dollar balances and which are not accessed for a year, and a transaction of any kind or, even, just checking the balance, counts as access. Why would anyone keep dollars in an  account for a year without doing anything with it? If someone wants to, they can avoid the fee by checking the balance once a year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I've wondered for a long time why LL didn't seem to be subject to the usual requirements for reporting payments, which, in general require that entities that pay people money over some threshold in a year in the U.S. verify the identity of the payee and report the payment.

I read the Tilia TOS. Aside from a lot of disclaimers of obligations and responsibility, it seemed to boil down to this: People who withdraw U.S. dollars from their accounts will have to provide RL information,  just like U.S. residents must provide to every other entity from which they receive payments. I can't see any reason for a person to object other than that they want to evade income taxes.

In the past LL has gotten the appropriate info from folks that hit a certain threshold in cashing out money -- and they have sent out 1099s to people.  

This will just catch the smaller fish - the ones that only cash out a tiny bit of money each year.  It is not uncommon for folks to maybe earn a small amount from a hobby and not report it to the IRS.  Happens all the time in the US.

9 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I can't see any reason for a person to object other than that they want to evade income taxes.

I would be willing to bet that 99.9 percent of the people who are objecting are just stupid people who neither put money into or take money out of SL.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Before I summon The Peacemaker...... I'd like details of how to join this group which draws money out of SL. 

Because right now all I seem to do is put money in.

Linden Lab, as they own Tilia.

4 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I can't see any reason for a person to object other than that they want to evade income taxes.

it's what you think, not what it has to be for others.
The big difference is, in the past they were just banging at your door, from now on you'll have to open it and show your face.
For some people that's a bit to much. In special for non US residents, we mostly still have some privacy left.

Edited by Fox Wijaya

Tillie is not having a big impact. Most people not cash out. And people that cash out earn already so much in second life that the have already extra paperwork. Als id verification exists for years with cashout and is nothing new.

So....  ? Where is the fire ?

I would say, just don't cash out, problem solved.

Edited by Richardus Raymaker

24 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The very existence of some people is insult enough.

Yes people who get off on scapegoating and need someone to blame for all their pain in life believe this, indeed they do.

23 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Before I summon The Peacemaker...... I'd like details of how to join this group which draws money out of SL. 

Because right now all I seem to do is put money in.

All those designers who make the fabulous clothes we all can't live without. You didn't think they were spending all the Lindens you give them In world did you?

Edited by Talligurl
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.