AFTER 13 YEARS...BYE BYE SECONDLIFE!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1752 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, AnyaJurelle said:

It's the terminology that's putting the wind up people, I think. If they could speak in plain English instead of legalese, it might help allay a bit of panic.

Where's @Scylla Rhiadra when you need her? She's great at 'legalese to human' translations!

Ha! You're kind, Anya, but I'm actually terrible at reading real legalese!

What they're actually using in their blog post is that horrible legal-PR hybrid that's designed to provide just enough information, in as watertight a language as possible, to cover their legal a**es. I'm not terrible at cutting through that kind of garbage.

Really, though . . . it's a complete mystery to me why LL doesn't see this kind of mess developing. It's soooooo predictable, and so much of it could be avoided by producing their own accessible version of the important bits.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

And people think I overreacted by advising people to stop overreacting...

You are overreacting to people claiming that you've overreacted to others who might be overreacting.   ;0

• Haha 2

You might want to read the current answers to questions:

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/439384-tilia-takes-over/page/7/?tab=comments#comment-1929793

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/439384-tilia-takes-over/page/5/?tab=comments#comment-1929668

And this thread as a whole where people discuss what it means and what it doesn't:

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/439384-tilia-takes-over/

Or you might not want to read it, but it seems like a good idea to know what the new terms mean before throwing everything out. Most of it is legal waffle, rather than things changing for people. Only people who want to be paid real money will have to provide ID, which is pretty standard when it comes to being paid. SL was unusual in not asking for that information.

Edited by Polenth Yue
  • Thanks 7

2 minutes ago, AnyaJurelle said:

Now, now, Orwar....play nicely! 

I was just waving bye to the nice lady!

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
5 minutes ago, AnyaJurelle said:

Now, now, Orwar....play nicely! 

Have you MET Orwar????

tumblr_pmewxdDRCl1uutnkko1_500.gif

• Haha 6

50 minutes ago, Fannie Parkin said:

That Tilia thing is the end of Second Life. Well done Linden! Never heard about "suicide"?

Fannie, in a nutshell, if you're not someone who cashes out L$'s for $'s, then this wont affect you at all and you won't have to do a thing other than agree to the terms, which I think we've all been doing for a few years now (or almost 2 in my case).

It just sounds perfectly dreadful because LL blow chunks at explaining in 'human language' while still covering their butts, but you'll be ok if you stay and aren't a cashing-out kind of resident :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ha! You're kind, Anya, but I'm actually terrible at reading real legalese!

What they're actually using in their blog post is that horrible legal-PR hybrid that's designed to provide just enough information, in as watertight a language as possible, to cover their legal a**es. I'm not terrible at cutting through that kind of garbage.

Really, though . . . it's a complete mystery to me why LL doesn't see this kind of mess developing. It's soooooo predictable, and so much of it could be avoided by producing their own accessible version of the important bits.

I think they do it on purpose. They have to put the legal mumbo-jumbo out there, and they also know that no matter what they say or how they say it, people are going to lose their minds and they're going to have to come through on question patrol.

Really, they're just saving themselves a step. 😋

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I think they do it on purpose. They have to put the legal mumbo-jumbo out there, and they also know that no matter what they say or how they say it, people are going to lose their minds and they're going to have to come through on question patrol.

Really, they're just saving themselves a step. 😋

Someone at Linden Lab should really write a policy on how to communicate to us. Rule #1: "Assume that everything you say will be taken in the worst possible way."

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Someone at Linden Lab should really write a policy on how to communicate to us. Rule #1: "Assume that everything you say will be taken in the worst possible way."

Or just hire @Scylla Rhiadra . She's done a pretty good job of translating :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1752 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.