Tilia takes over

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

45 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Apparently Tilia was set up quite a few years ago and has been handling our buying and selling of L$ for quite some time.  

I would think they'd have passed those costs on a while ago.  Or maybe that is part of the reason for many of the buy/sell L$ fee increases over the past few years.

According to the recent posts made by Linden Lab no, Tilia does not handle the buying of Ls.

Going to look for that so brb with a quote.

Will Residents need to use Tilia to buy Linden Dollars?
No, Residents can continue to use the payment method on file to buy Linden Dollars. In this case, since there is no Tilia involvement there is no need to provide ID or SSN.

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/439435-official-tilia-qa-forum-thread/

Edited by Selene Gregoire

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

According to the recent posts made by Linden Lab no, Tilia does not handle the buying of Ls.

Going to look for that so brb with a quote.

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/439435-official-tilia-qa-forum-thread/

Someone at LL is a bit confused then:

image.png.20fa75ae070e0a04fb103aa080b9c9f4.png

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I am so glad that LL created that new thread to provide "official" answers to questions about Tilia.

Gosh, it sure is taking the pressure off forumites to answer questions . . .

WHERE IS MY HOUSEBOAT?????

This is the point where, if you were someone I knew in RL, I'd say something like, "If it was up your butt you'd know where it was." 

It usually takes a moment to sink in.

Don't fall off your chair.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

This is the point where, if you were someone I knew in RL, I'd say something like, "If it was up your butt you'd know where it was." 

It usually takes a moment to sink in.

Don't fall off your chair.

Actually, at this point, I'd be thrilled with a Linden bear sitting in one of those inflatable floaty lifesaver things.

4 hours ago, Dima Plessis said:

I'd just like to point out that although some of the questions I asked on the official Q & A thread were answered, every single question related to a possible near future increase in fees, charges, decrease in $L value or further restrictions on cashing out were not answered. They may say the fees and such will stay the same at the time of the switch, but the unsaid caveat seems to be "for now".

Its entirely possible that they don't even know. Prices change for a variety of reasons. They have said for quite a while now that escalating fees is a way of decreasing land costs and that they are not done finding a balance there. That is a pretty good clue that we should not be surprised to see more hikes, regardless of Tilia.

It may be something they are still determining.

• Like 1

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Actually, at this point, I'd be thrilled with a Linden bear sitting in one of those inflatable floaty lifesaver things.

I thought about posting a picture of a doctor wearing one of those light thingies on his/her head with a spelunking offer but I think you get the picture. xD

Pick a victim and send them an IM. If they are on, they'll send you a bear if they have one. If they're not on they'll usually send it when they do log in and get the IM. You're on your own with the floaty. Those things are dangerous. Take one of these instead:

5cff2fc0e86dbd8127c629600c40a2d7.jpg

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I thought about posting a picture of a doctor wearing one of those light thingies on his/her head with a spelunking offer but I think you get the picture. xD

Pick a victim and send them an IM. If they are on, they'll send you a bear if they have one. If they're not on they'll usually send it when they do log in and get the IM. You're on your own with the floaty. Those things are dangerous. Take one of these instead:

Reveal hidden contents

5cff2fc0e86dbd8127c629600c40a2d7.jpg

I've noticed that candy Lifesavers have been slowly disappearing from variety stores in my city.

It makes me very sad.

34 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I've noticed that candy Lifesavers have been slowly disappearing from variety stores in my city.

It makes me very sad.

O.o They are available in over a million locations, including Amazon, WalMart, Target, WalGreens, Dollar Tree, Bi-Mart. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Writer and doctor Max Pemberton, in his first book Trust Me, I'm a Junior Doctor, told the story of a man who turned up at A&E with a hairbrush up his bum, and expecting the medical team to believe he "fell" while brushing his hair and landed on it while putting his hand out to break his fall. (To quote the author: "For this alone, six years of studying medicine were worth it.") Dr Pemberton duly traipsed off to report the new patient to his manager. She responded, "Oh well, thank God it's not a sink plunger, those are the absolute worst." After the patient had been in theatre, Dr Pemberton asked the surgeon how the procedure had gone. He replied, "It's fine, we got the brush out and we also found a couple of pieces of Lego up there but we're not going to tell him."

I once asked a doctor friend how often this kind of thing happens. She said, "Oh, not as often as all those stories would have you believe. Maybe once every three months. Actually I found a tube of red paint up there just the other week...."

• Haha 4

Happily I am past my angst and rage on Tilia, mostly because I have made my plan to circumvent as much as possible and have a new "game" plan which is pretty exciting for me  -- and excitement has been missing lately I must say. But...

I was thinking about how Tilia rolled out among the masses. LL has an extremely long history (maybe from the beginning, I wasn't here then) of throwing out a new plan, rule, feature and just "seeing how it flies".   They have been doing slightly better this time. They gave us a month to digest this Tilia change; much better than the "OMG, look another new TOS" that most people clicked through without reading in August 2013 only to find out later what they had "signed". So a plus there.  EEP is still on the grid but since only the brave few with the EEP viewer see it in all its non-glory it isn't really bothering most of us all that much.  

I had to smile when I saw the comment on the official Tilia FAQ page == the one that said they were working on answers and would be back after the weekend (a long one). Honestly, I can't imagine a company that doesn't haves SOME far-sighted person that can look into the future and think of possible issues, judge the most likely community reaction based on the last 16 years. 

BTW I still have two DIFFICULT questions still unanswered there.  :SwingingFriends:

Still, it is a tiny bit better than before  -- a tiny bit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

I had to smile when I saw the comment on the official Tilia FAQ page == the one that said they were working on answers and would be back after the weekend (a long one). Honestly, I can't imagine a company that doesn't haves SOME far-sighted person that can look into the future and think of possible issues, judge the most likely community reaction based on the last 16 years.

I am kind of gobsmacked by this one.

I get that some of the questions being asked -- especially those involving ID for non-US citizens --  probably require complicated answers that likely involve seeking legal and/or government guidance. And they probably should not try to answer those until they have definitive answers. Which, you know, they probably should have identified and answered before announcing this?

But OMG . . . Monday??????? While both legit and uninformed questions continue to pile up on that thread, not to mention the complaints and outright insults aimed at LL?

AND they've asked that people post questions only, meaning that they don't want anyone to try to answer even the simple ones. So for the next four days, no one will be responding to even the simple, easy-to-answer questions and the uninformed panic. (They in fact have deleted some of the answers provided there by forumites.) That thread is going to be a toxic little brew of anger and angst come Monday morning.

ETA: They seem to be monitoring and pruning the thread, which will help a bit.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra

• Lindens
On 7/2/2019 at 4:17 AM, ChinRey said:

1.  Does this change mean I'll have to pay LL more?

2. How do I sort the transition out with no more than five minutes of easy work?

1. No

2. You agree to the new Tilia ToS come August 1, and hopefully never give this another thought.   If the day comes when you decide to take some of your earnings out of SL, you will have to go through the ID verification process before you can get your money. 

3.  I hope those are satisfactory :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2019 at 5:07 PM, Ginger Shostakovich said:

For a company which places so much value on user-created content, this "shoot first and answer questions later (if at all)"-approach tastes bitter. 

Some warning would have been nice, some explanations even better. 

You have to accept their TOS in order to continue using Second Life? No way to opt out of Tilia? Well. 

PS: I didn't see the blog post; I got an email. Surprise!

I also got the email, and as burdened and flooded as I am with garbage of the internet I'm glad I spotted this cesspool.  So If we dont accept the Tillia we have to cancel SL? How is that even a fair option? Why not just disable our ability to convert L's to a currency? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Florence Millar said:

So If we dont accept the Tillia we have to cancel SL? How is that even a fair option? Why not just disable our ability to convert L's to a currency?

If you're not cashing out, you do need to agree to the Telia TOS, but you don't need to provide them with documentation.

So -- and this is not a loaded question, I'm honestly curious -- why worry about Telia in those circumstances? It shouldn't impact upon you at all, should it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

If you're not cashing out, you do need to agree to the Telia TOS, but you don't need to provide them with documentation.

So -- and this is not a loaded question, I'm honestly curious -- why worry about Telia in those circumstances? It shouldn't impact upon you at all, should it?

Other than having to sign what most people believe to be an iron clad legally binding contract that they have no use for? Why agree to the terms of a service you aren't going to be using? By their own words Tilia is a subsidiary which means it operates as a completely separate business entity. Who in their right minds would sign a contract with a company they aren't/don't/won't be doing business with? Frankly, it is not an intelligent thing to do, legally.

10 minutes ago, Phoebe Avro said:

So LL deleted my comment on the official thread where I asked them to supply me with their photo id etc^^

They've been deleting most things that are not actual questions, which I sort of understand . . . they want to keep the thread clean and focused.

But over the next four days, without any answers from LL (because they clearly don't want Residents answering, which I also get), there is some danger it's going to become a suppurating pustule of a thread . . .

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.