Tilia takes over

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1186 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Apologies if this has been brought up, but I have a another question. If Tilia is being used as the "cash out" system for multiple platforms (such as Sansar) is this going to impact the exchange rate on $L money? Will, for example, Sansar's economy change the exchange rates for the other economies operating through Tilia? We know Sansar has significantly higher cash out fees, how do we know this wont impact the exchange rate for other economies using Tilia? Can we expect the $L to remain the same or not?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Phill Oddfellow said:

I'm UK based, processing credit semi-regularly every few months. Signed a W-8 long before they had a UK office.

First off, for those of us who don't usually frequent these forums but are browsing trying to make sense of this whole Tilia thing. What's all this about recent LL data/privacy concerns? (Maybe just a link so as not to derail the topic, please?)

Now, as I understand it - the only point where I deal with actual, real life, touchable USD, is when it gets withdrawn from my SL account (currently) or Tilia UK account (from August) in to my PayPal or wherever?
Because L$ are virtual currency and not owned by me per-se. The USD balance in Tilia is not owned by me either.
So it is LL who are the ones transferring money from the US to the UK - the funds are already within a UK company by the time I get involved.

Why am I still being bound by US laws at all seeing as I am not interacting with a US company at any point in this process?

I could be entirely wrong - because there's a lot of legal mumbo-jumbo involved and really, I'm no rocket scientist - but I think just having a SL account and anything to do with L$'s automatically means you're interacting with a US company and therefore agree to abide by said 'legal mumbo-jumbo' in order for you to continue using their service.

Perhaps someone else might be able to give you more relevant and finely ground details.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fox Wijaya said:

If you have previously provided identifying information to a Provider in connection with your use of a Platform, you authorize the Provider to share that information with us, and we may use this information to verify your identity.

many of us have done this. so not needed?..no not at all, they'r going to filter it all again ...question is in that case, why.
Strange thing is, you have to accept, there is no other choice. Decline will mean you loose everything in SL ... that is no choice.

Theresa Tennyson sighs once again.

Or you could assume it means, "Since you've already given a different part of our company that information you consider it okay to send it across the hall to the people who are doing the same thing they did before under a different legal name" - basically, exactly what they just said.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

My biggest question at this point is if Tilia is a wholly owned subsidiary of Linden Lab, why do we need to resubmit our financial information? They should have all this on file. I could understand the need if it were a separate contractor doing the work, but it's just Linden Lab by another name isn't it? Or am I reading the info wrong?

from what i understand within tilia tos they state that they may ask for these things, however " If you have previously provided identifying information to a Provider in connection with your use of a Platform, you authorize the Provider to share that information with us, and we may use this information to verify your identity. We may validate the information you provide to us to ensure we have a reasonable belief of your identity. " seems to suggest that they will/can get it from LL's previous verifications etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AnyaJurelle said:

mumbo-jumbo

Origin

In the year 1738, a writer called Francis Moore used this expression in the publication titled ‘Travels into the inland parts of Africa’. It was not used in the sense that it is used today back then. In 1858, ‘The Saturday Review’ published it to mean what it stands for in the current years. The origination of the phrase comes from a masked dancer in religious functions called “Maamajomboo”. The exact phrase was also the name of a West African God. (Theidioms.com)

my question is "

As always, Second Life remains free to access and enjoy!  However, if your Tilia Account is inactive for a period of 12 months we will charge your Tilia Account a fee to the extent permitted by applicable law.  If you have questions about the inactivity fee, please see Tilia’s Terms of Service."

does that mean that since all sl accounts will be tied to tilia that if we have an inactive alt for a year we get charged for that?

• Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Origin

In the year 1738, a writer called Francis Moore used this expression in the publication titled ‘Travels into the inland parts of Africa’. It was not used in the sense that it is used today back then. In 1858, ‘The Saturday Review’ published it to mean what it stands for in the current years. The origination of the phrase comes from a masked dancer in religious functions called “Maamajomboo”. The exact phrase was also the name of a West African God. (Theidioms.com)

Yep...what I said...haha

So if I were the Lab and I was getting ready to spin off Sansar or sell it to somebody who's not currently equipped to handle compliance for token currency transactions, I'd set up a Tilia to absorb the overhead costs in Second Life and to provide the service under contract to post-Linden Sansar.

Not saying that's what they're doing, nor that this is evidence of them doing it. Jus' sayin' it would be a smart business move if that were the case.

• Like 4

Just now, Qie Niangao said:

So if I were the Lab and I was getting ready to spin off Sansar or sell it to somebody who's not currently equipped to handle compliance for token currency transactions, I'd set up a Tilia to absorb the overhead costs in Second Life and to provide the service under contract to post-Linden Sansar.

Sansar is their darling baby they bet the farm on ... Second Life is the 3 headed mutant step child.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Tersa Beverly said:

my question is "

As always, Second Life remains free to access and enjoy!  However, if your Tilia Account is inactive for a period of 12 months we will charge your Tilia Account a fee to the extent permitted by applicable law.  If you have questions about the inactivity fee, please see Tilia’s Terms of Service."

does that mean that since all sl accounts will be tied to tilia that if we have an inactive alt for a year we get charged for that?

If your alt has a USD balance (not L$ -- this doesn't apply to in-world currency), and that Tilia account has not been accessed for 12 months, then the inactivity fee would apply. Otherwise, no.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Tersa Beverly said:

from what i understand within tilia tos they state that they may ask for these things, however " If you have previously provided identifying information to a Provider in connection with your use of a Platform, you authorize the Provider to share that information with us, and we may use this information to verify your identity. We may validate the information you provide to us to ensure we have a reasonable belief of your identity. " seems to suggest that they will/can get it from LL's previous verifications etc.

The lab fully answered my question back on page 7, and I'm completely satisfied with their response. No issues whatsoever for me now. Full speed ahead as far as I'm concerned. :) 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

The darling baby has shown no vital signs. Even momma gotta notice eventually.

knowing momma for some years now, i wouldn't be surprised she puts her older kid in the vendor .. she washed it shiny with many more long term premiums... huge demand of her own product, knitted warm socks in the form of new Linden houses, and now a totally independant handler of the financial part..

• Haha 1

i'm a bit confused about this still. after reading some of the FAQ's (
https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/439384-tilia-takes-over/page/7/?tab=comments#comment-1929793 )

i am confused still about the Tilia Terms thingy.

If I’m only using Linden Dollars, does this impact me at all?

No. If you are only using Linden Dollars, and do not have a USD balance, the ID requirements and the inactivity fee has no impact on your ability to continue using Second Life. For example, it doesn’t impact or change your ability to pay for Land Tier or other activities with Linden Dollars.

this is me. so i will never use this Tilia thing, nor will it apply to me by any means, but

Will EVERYONE who uses Second Life have to agree to the new Tilia TOS and Privacy Policy - or just those who use credit processing to cash out USD?

Beginning Aug. 1, all Second Life Residents will be asked to agree to the new Tilia terms of service and privacy policy upon logging in.

why do i need to still accept Tilia's terms, even though i will never use it, not will this ever apply to me at all ? is this basically saying that we're being forced to accept something even though it is not applicable, in order to keep using SL at all ? because if so, i can see people leaving as a result of this, and this would hurt SL in the long run.

also,

Is this an extra fee on top of the recently changed credit processing fee?

No. The credit processing fees remain unchanged for you as a Resident. You will not be charged anything extra for a credit processing fee by Tilia. The only other fee which may apply is an inactivity fee. This fee would only apply to those accounts with USD balances which have not accessed their Tilia account in any way (for example, to check balance) or had any credit processing transactions over a period of 12 months or more.

by being forced to accept these new terms means an automatically created Tilia account for each SL member.

1. how do we know, that we will not be charged any fees after 12 months of inactivity, especially since, like myself, i won't ever use this, meaning my Tilia account will be inactive for that duration ?

2. i don't think being forced to accept terms for something that some of us will ever use, and then also being forced to accept this new Tilia account creation is right. this Tilia account should be applicable to anyone who does process credits, as you mention in the blog post, and not to others who will have nothing to do with this since we only buy lindens or pay land tiers so why force everyone and more importantly, do we have an option to opt out of Tilia ?

Edited by ShibariKate
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

The darling baby has shown no vital signs. Even momma gotta notice eventually.

Was entirely underwhelmed with Sansar. Nothing appealing in the slightest, not even with 'Berries regular 'fun' live videos of the place. If momma hasn't noticed her dead baby by now, then she never will.

• Like 1

It just dawned on me that I probably have alts that at one time held premium accounts and have long since downgraded to basic that most likely have a couple of dollars USD$ still in their balances. Heck it could even be more than a couple of dollars. What a pain in the butt for LL to have to carry my forgotten money around in their data base. I don't blame them for charging an inactivity fee. :) The question now is since I've never cashed out from any account, other than Blush's, how would I even move that money? And is it even worth my bothering with it? The only reason those accounts ever had a cash balance at all was just for paying the annual premium fee.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1186 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.