Tilia takes over

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1186 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Digit Gears said:

Will Residents need to use Tilia to buy Linden Dollars?

No, Residents can continue to use the payment method on file to buy Linden Dollars. In this case, since there is no Tilia involvement there is no need to provide ID or SSN.

People keep saying that we are using Tilia every time we buy Ls. According to this (that was not originally posted by Digit Gears) that is not true.

So even those of us who have not, do not and never will cash out are being forced to agree to a contract for a service that isn't even used in the purchasing Ls process. A service we have no need of and do not want simply because LL doesn't want to have to do it the right way and have only those who want to be able to cash out agree to the Talia terms. They prefer to sucker punch, as always.

• Like 1

Whew, I down right nearly blew a blood vessel! I do wish LL would use person speech, the lawyer lingo is murder... I have, let's call them, educational issues due to disabilities. I was down right mad and panicking till I perused the comments. Took me a while till I realized it's not for people who don't make a living from Lindens to Real money... At least for now~

12 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:
20 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It would be great if the lawyers on the thread would take a look at how hobby income needs to be reported in the U.S. now -- it changed recently and I'm wondering if this fact is partially the cause of all residents needing to report income now, no matter how small an amount.

I'm not surprised....so many now are working freelance, or working temp part-time jobs...and so the IRS would be losing out tax-wise.

It is notated as "Professional Hobby" on I.R.S. tax forms and you take that as a deduction.

These rules changed (regarding hobby income) in 2018 -- not sure of the details so people should examine. Might just be for hobby expenses as deductions.

7 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

People keep saying that we are using Tilia every time we buy Ls. According to this (that was not originally posted by Digit Gears) that is not true.

So even those of us who have not, do not and never will cash out are being forced to agree to a contract for a service that isn't even used in the purchasing Ls process. A service we have no need of and do not want simply because LL doesn't want to have to do it the right way and have only those who want to be able to cash out agree to the Talia terms. They prefer to sucker punch, as always.

I see your point, however, those of us who say we'll "never" cash out , just might one day.  If I've learned anything here, it's that circumstances and situations can change in the blink of an eye in SL.

It's called "Covering Thine Butt"

• Like 1

Just now, AnyaJurelle said:

I see your point, however, those of us who say we'll "never" cash out , just might one day.  If I've learned anything here, it's that circumstances and situations can change in the blink of an eye in SL.

It's called "Covering Thine Butt"

Then we can sign up for Tilia at that point. No need to do so beforehand.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Totally agree. It would make much more sense, but then again, I've yet to come across any corporation that does anything based on 'sense'.

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

These rules changed (regarding hobby income) in 2018 -- not sure of the details so people should examine. Might just be for hobby expenses as deductions.

I forget the details, but I deducted both expenses and *income* from my graphic design work (in and out of SL, not outside RL job) by reporting under category of "Professional Hobby" - it idid require one of those extra I.R.S. form for more details, though I forget which form (I use Turbo Tax Online, so it keeps track of all that nonsense LOL)

Though you are definitely correct: Everyone should look into the taxation laws that apply to them to see how "Professional Hobby" or "Hobby" applies to any income and expense their experience through second Life (or any other web platform, like Blogging, etc.)

3 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

And if additional documents are required then there is the day or two or ten before that wanted transaction is completed. But if you are already signed up and vetted before hand, well: it's Winter, but it's a warm day, if you take your coat even though you don't need it, at least you'll have it with you if later you do. :)

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:
7 minutes ago, AnyaJurelle said:

I've yet to come across any corporation that does anything based on 'sense'.

The ones that did were bought out/forced out of business by the ones that don't. 

Consumers: “We hate Corporations.”

Politicians: “Hey now, Corporations are people too!”

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Consumers: “We hate Corporations.”

Politicians: “Hey now, Corporations are people too!”

Consumers: "We hate Corporations"

Politicians" "Hey now! They pay our inflated salaries!"

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MALIFAX said:

Honestly LL staff, if you REALLY think people are gonna give you their name address and social security number, you must be american for sure, because everywhere else in the world this is called SPYING. NO WAY europeans are gonna give that to you. We will leave SL and you DREAM as a dream machine if you think a single one of us will migrate to your unplayable SANSAR...

You have already our IP address, it's far enough

In the U.S., I've always had to provide either my SSN or Tax ID number whenever receiving payment from services online. Etsy, AdSense, Blogmutt, etc. for tax purposes. Income is taxed and corporations have to report it. It's just a fact of life.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MALIFAX said:

Honestly LL staff, if you REALLY think people are gonna give you their name address and social security number, you must be american for sure, because everywhere else in the world this is called SPYING. NO WAY europeans are gonna give that to you. We will leave SL and you DREAM as a dream machine if you think a single one of us will migrate to your unplayable SANSAR...

You have already our IP address, it's far enough

Ok this thread is over here if you'd like to join the discussion  https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/439384-tilia-takes-over/

still... in spite of all who at the moment seem to start yelling... in Tilia TOS 1.1 where there is NO mentioning about "only cash outers"  but just for signing up ( what LL does for us .. how thoughtfull)

To create a Tilia Account and/or access certain features or functionality of the Tilia Service, we may require you to provide us with your name, address, date of birth, telephone number, street address or zip code, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see your driver's license or other identifying documents.

and/or is no exclusion, but a term about including: we cán, we wíll do that in some cases. or in future cases or in any case.

If you have previously provided identifying information to a Provider in connection with your use of a Platform, you authorize the Provider to share that information with us, and we may use this information to verify your identity.

many of us have done this. so not needed?..no not at all, they'r going to filter it all again ...question is in that case, why.
Strange thing is, you have to accept, there is no other choice. Decline will mean you loose everything in SL ... that is no choice.

• Sad 1

I wonder if Linden would publish the regulations or new laws that require this of them? That seems to be reasonable. I understand they are probably trying to go after those that may try to launder money etc... maybe even try to eliminate so alt accounts, who knows,  but citing the actual regulation that requires this would be real nice for those of us who might wish to check into these claims

• Thanks 1

I'm UK based, processing credit semi-regularly every few months. Signed a W-8 long before they had a UK office.

First off, for those of us who don't usually frequent these forums but are browsing trying to make sense of this whole Tilia thing. What's all this about recent LL data/privacy concerns? (Maybe just a link so as not to derail the topic, please?)

Now, as I understand it - the only point where I deal with actual, real life, touchable USD, is when it gets withdrawn from my SL account (currently) or Tilia UK account (from August) in to my PayPal or wherever?
Because L$ are virtual currency and not owned by me per-se. The USD balance in Tilia is not owned by me either.
So it is LL who are the ones transferring money from the US to the UK - the funds are already within a UK company by the time I get involved.

Why am I still being bound by US laws at all seeing as I am not interacting with a US company at any point in this process?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1186 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.